Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some 18's for my S420. Two of the rims are hubcentric and two are studcentric, meaning the hole in the center is bigger than the hub but they center on the studs. One of my engineers at work explained this to me. Called tirerack and Luke wasn't in but the guy said vibration would be the only concern and there is none. i believe if one added a spacer the rim would no longer be hubcentric either. should I be concerned? i put the studcentric in the back for now. seller said this is done to fit a range of cars. i'm not having any problems as of now. they are mercedes rims.

thanks,
donwuan

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
Hub-centric rings center the wheel on the hub, so that it is registered and supported about the hub’s circumference. This is in contrast to lug-centering, where the wheel is registered on the lugs, by virtue of their tapered shape, which mates with tapered holes in the wheel.

Think of it like this: There is a need for both horizontal and vertical support at the wheel. You can’t just “mash it tight� to the hub, and rely on that for vertical support. The wheel needs to be held centered on the hub. If it’s not, it will vibrate at moderate to high speeds, and the studs/lugs will be subjected to undesirable forces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts