Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not like how slow the paddle shifter works. Just to big of a delay in my book. If I want to go to the manual mode it is usually for spirited driving and you get anything but that. Using the slap shifter its seems better but not as fast as other cars I have driven with this feature. My wifes old inifiti was much quicker. I find the leaving it in sport mode the tranny shifts fast and smooth and to just use the slap shift if you need a multi gear down shift, ie 7th to 4th. I now the SLK 55 is suppose t shift 35% quicker. Sure wish we could down load that program into our cars. What does everyone think about this topic. Seems to be a lot of manual boxs on this forum which I would have gotten except my wife didn't want to fight it in our traffic.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I agree about the manual shifting of the auto box. The manual shift mode of my Honda Prelude is definitely quicker than that of my SLK 350.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
25 Posts
I have a 55 AMG and never use the manual shift cus its too damn slow!! I just leave in 'S' mode and hold on!!

Its a shame Mercedes couldnt do a decent manual shift.
I recently drove a Ferrari 360 Modena and it shifted perfect!! Manual driving with Ferrari paddel was a dream, and the software they use is spot on!!
I suppose I got my hopes too high before I got my hands on my SLK 55 AMG.....

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
GEORDIE SLK 55 AMG - 3/26/2005 3:42 PM

I have a 55 AMG and never use the manual shift cus its too damn slow!! I just leave in 'S' mode and hold on!!

Its a shame Mercedes couldnt do a decent manual shift.
I recently drove a Ferrari 360 Modena and it shifted perfect!! Manual driving with Ferrari paddel was a dream, and the software they use is spot on!!
I suppose I got my hopes too high before I got my hands on my SLK 55 AMG.....
Perhaps you could have compared it to the SLR and the prancing horse.

As far as I know there are some small AMG upgrades that improve shifting speed.

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
It's a real shame that you can't get the six speed manual with the slk55. I really think they are losing a lot of customers because of it. I have the manual in my 350, I am very happy with it. I haven't had a manual for many years and find it very enjoyable and involving.

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
I use M-mode only on track, its very helpful (especially on corner)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
US cars have either S or C mode- NO M mode. Whats does the M mode differently?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
xJagman - 3/27/2005 7:45 AM

US cars have either S or C mode- NO M mode. Whats does the M mode differently?
The M mode is on the SLK 55 and is a manual shift mode...see page 164 of the US owners manual...[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
M goes directly to manual mode. No need to tap the left paddle to go into it. USeful if you don't want to change gears, but wish to (start a) drive in Manual mode.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
also, I believe the SLK55's M-mode keeps it in the gear selected unless you've exceeded the minimum RPM's for that gear in which case it will downshift as necessary. But if you hit the rev limiter on M-mode, it will not shift up to the next gear unless you do it yourself, but will keep bouncing off the limiter until you upshift.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
... but I agree with everyone else, the SLK55's M-mode is basically useless and pointless especially since the manual shifting is only effective for manual downshifting around a track while in S-mode. Full-thottle upshifts are better left to the auto tranny's brain in S-mode.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
I chose to revive this thread because:

A) I can't understand the reasoning behind the paddle shifters.
B) I either don't understand or am having problems with the transmission in regards to finding the "optimal gear."

A) It seems to me that the best type of paddle shifters are found on the steering column and not on the steering wheel itself. That way, you always know the right side is to upshift and the left is to downshift. The next best scenario is each side can up/downshift ie slk350. Then in the sportier slk55, they resort to left side- downshift and rightside-upshift on the steering wheel. That just doesn't make sense because if you have a spirited drive and change gears while the wheel is not upright, you could easily accidentally shift to the wrong gear. Again, I just don't understand this logic. Am I missing something?

B) Holding the downshift paddle or gear level is supposed to make the transmission switch to the optimal gear. I thought that it would jump several gears if necessary (ie 7th to 4th gear). However, this only seems to work if you are driving in "D" mode and mash the throttle down. When I use the paddle or pull left on the gear and hold it; the transmission will go to the optimal gear but first downshifts to all others in between (ie 7th to 6th to 5th to 4th). Is this right?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I'm gonna be driving an F1 equipped Ferrari 360 Modena next week, so I'll know soon what a big difference there is between my 55 and the F-car [:p]

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
I drove a couple of 360's on a track day at thruxton. One was manual and the other F1 paddleshift. The paddleshift was in a different league to the 7G. It just seemed to work much better. Really fast gear change etc. Could always find them to change gear even when trying to turn the steering wheel.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
dsb - 8/9/2005 10:54 PM

I chose to revive this thread because:

A) I can't understand the reasoning behind the paddle shifters.
B) I either don't understand or am having problems with the transmission in regards to finding the "optimal gear."

A) It seems to me that the best type of paddle shifters are found on the steering column and not on the steering wheel itself. That way, you always know the right side is to upshift and the left is to downshift. The next best scenario is each side can up/downshift ie slk350. Then in the sportier slk55, they resort to left side- downshift and rightside-upshift on the steering wheel. That just doesn't make sense because if you have a spirited drive and change gears while the wheel is not upright, you could easily accidentally shift to the wrong gear. Again, I just don't understand this logic. Am I missing something?

THE SLK350 WITH AMG HAS A BUTTON ON BOTH SIDES THAT SHIFTS UP OR DOWN.

B) Holding the downshift paddle or gear level is supposed to make the transmission switch to the optimal gear. I thought that it would jump several gears if necessary (ie 7th to 4th gear). However, this only seems to work if you are driving in "D" mode and mash the throttle down. When I use the paddle or pull left on the gear and hold it; the transmission will go to the optimal gear but first downshifts to all others in between (ie 7th to 6th to 5th to 4th). Is this right?
IN MY 350 IF I HOLD THE GEAR LEVER OR ONE OF THE BUTTONS FOR ABOUT 2-3 SCEONDS IT SHIFTS DOWN 2 OR 3 GEARS. I THEN MASS THE GAS PEDAL. THIS IS ONY USFUL IF YOU KNOW AHEAD OF TIME THAT YOU WANT TO FLY.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You guys are comparing the gearbox of a $200K+ Ferrari to a $40K SLK.

There is NO COMPARISON. It's comparing two completely different beasts.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
big_willy - 8/10/2005 11:40 AM

You guys are comparing the gearbox of a $200K+ Ferrari to a $40K SLK.

There is NO COMPARISON. It's comparing two completely different beasts.
Any auto I have driven has a much faster shift time than our SLK350. Chrysler's Autostick for one. Any BMW (and I am talking about the auto, not SMG).

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
In addition to my SLK, I have a Honda Prelude and I believe that it's manual shift mode is faster than that of my SLK.

·
Registered
BMW 645 ci
170 Posts
$40k SLK, I wish as do all UK drivers mine was nearer $75k and yes the paddle shift is pathetic.I would spend money on better software for the box before a 'chip' for the engine but it should work at any price period (that's full stop to Brits)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts