Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be coming from the Sunroof in my '91 300SEL; although the roof is seating properly and there are no water leaks. It starts at about 75 MPH and gets really loud at 80 - 85 MPH. I am still in the process of trying to localize it. Has anyone experienced this type of "howling" noise at speed?

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Does the sound change when you crack open the sunroof? Or when you lift the "vent" part of the sunroof? Try also cracking the windows (each one in succession), and even opening the doors (you'll need a passenger/detective along). It's helpful to have a passenger along to track down sounds while in motion anyway-- I've found the locating sounds from the driver's seat can be mighty deceptive. Also have a look at the rubber door gaskets on either side of the car.

·
Registered
320Cdi 560SEL S500
175 Posts
Seems to be coming from the Sunroof in my '91 300SEL; although the roof is seating properly and there are no water leaks. It starts at about 75 MPH and gets really loud at 80 - 85 MPH. I am still in the process of trying to localize it. Has anyone experienced this type of "howling" noise at speed?
Does your sunroof leak when it rains??

My 380 SEC did this, and I found the rubber pipe from the drivers side front sunroof drain had perished which let in water down the A pillar, but also the caused the wind whistle at the same speed as air was coming up from the drain in the wheel well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think that I may have solved the problem by removing some dried Fall Leaves that were trapped in the long channel under the hood above the windshield wipers! :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts