Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! How your W210 4magic doing in snow? Snow tires ?
And btw what is the difference in 4magic system between W210 and W211?
I have snow tires Continental.. I am so glad that I bought 4matic... especially in NY state ..
It's a nice feeling when you going uphill on highway passing.. other .....cars .. that have trouble to climb the hill ... and my car has nice grip when I have to start in a middle of hill ...
Yes some a little spinning..but then like a train ....

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
561 Posts
My 2002 E320 4Matic wagon handles snow very nicely. It drove safely on a Vermont windy, dirt road in February, when there was only a small amount of snow and slushy ice but not enough for the tires to dig in to. It drove safely at 45-50 mph on the highways during fresh snowfall before the plows came, again when there's not enough snow to dig in to but enough to cause problems.

I have been using Michelin Premier tires for years. They wear out rather quickly. My last set dry rotted after 3 years and 3 months after 21k miles, before they were fully worn. Thankfully, a warranty claim helped me get a discount on a new set. I don't recommend them for this reason.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,305 Posts
210 and 211 4matic are identical in terms of 4 wheel power transfer.....in other words, they're all open diff and simulate locking diff by pulsing the brakes. In that regard the 211 may have a slightly more advanced traction control system, but really....in the end it comes down to tires. And on 4matic, you're going to need to replace all four tires with snow tires, not just the front two or front rear depending on the motive drive as so many people do.

Since the car has three open diff, the power will travel through the path of least resistance, so if the front tires are regular summer and rear are winter, you'll be wearing out the brakes relatively quickly because of how often the ESP has to kick in.

Yes I had to explain that to a customer who was complaining of unusual brake wear when she went to big bear for couple months and only replaced the rear tires with snow tires.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
907 Posts
Do 4matics have SBC? Does different size/grip tires on slippery surface accelerate the SBC counter?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 195K miles

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,305 Posts
Only the first gen 211 had the SBC...and yes, 4matics also have them. The SBC threshold is counted when you actually press the brake pedal. If you slam on the brakes hard enough to engage ABS, it still counts as one actuation despite the SBC pulsing all four wheels hundred of times to prevent it from skidding.

The SBC pump runs full time regardless to maintain hydraulic pressure, so it doesn't matter if the ESP tells SBC to lock front right corner...as the drop in hydraulic pressure on that corner is too low (it doesn't meet the threshold, in other words) to count toward the counter. But when you actually do press the brake pedal, the hydraulic pressure drop across the board is significant enough to call it as "wear", hence the counter goes up by 1.

Facelift 211 had regular old ABS system that you might recognize from 210/203/220.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! 2000 w210 E320 4matic wagon. It drives wonderful in the snow. If the back starts to slip you feel the front wheels pulling the car forward, keeping the back in line. Planted on the highway going 55-65 mph.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,001 Posts
I think over the years MB was playing with different power % distributed between axles, but nothing major.
What can be big difference is air suspension available on W211.
Loss of traction is to some degree due to vibrations the wheels are getting when rolling on the road and air suspension quiets the vibrations better than steel.
Still differences are marginal, so choose the model for other things, not for 4M differences.

·
Registered
2000 E430
50 Posts
Hi guys! How your W210 4magic doing in snow? Snow tires ?
And btw what is the difference in 4magic system between W210 and W211?
I have snow tires Continental.. I am so glad that I bought 4matic... especially in NY state ..
It's a nice feeling when you going uphill on highway passing.. other .....cars .. that have trouble to climb the hill ... and my car has nice grip when I have to start in a middle of hill ...
Yes some a little spinning..but then like a train ....
2000 E430 4matic, Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. We had recent wet, sleet snow here in MN. Drove into an empty parking lot and tried to drift it hard. No dice. Stability control took over and straightened it out every time. Kind of eerie, like another intelligence took control of the car. I dont know about glare ice, but I think its virtually impossible to lose control with this system. I LOVE my V8 4matic beast!

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
561 Posts
This is last night, after working for six hours on my spark plugs, wires, coils, and idler pulley. I do slip and slide a little around corners if I exceed 30 mph in these conditions. I take it slow and no hills or unplowed snow can stop me. Like a train.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is last night, after working for six hours on my spark plugs, wires, coils, and idler pulley. I do slip and slide a little around corners if I exceed 30 mph in these conditions. I take it slow and no hills or unplowed snow can stop me. Like a train.
Nice picture ...
Yeah my car too sliding in corners and when its slush traction control engaged a lot ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts