Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is how well do you guys think a properly maintained lets say 2000 ML would do on a road rally? For those of you who don't know what road rallys are it is a car rally that takes place on the public road. Different teams compete in a time trial against each other from checkpoint to checkpoint to see who gets the best times. A very famous one is Bullrun Bullrun: Rallying the World They also had a tv show Bullrun TV Shows | Bullrun: Rallying the World, id advise you guys to check out the tv shows as they are really fun and interesting. Anyways these road rallys are very grueling on the cars. Do you think the ML would survive this? My biggest fear are the electronic gremlins these trucks are known for. How do these trucks handle long drives under harsh conditions? Can it make it?

·
Registered
1987 W126 420SEL, 2006 F350 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
225 Posts
i've been doing 1200 miles a week in my ML430 for the last month. no problems with it. i'm always on highways going between 70-80 mph. the only problem i've been having is oil consumption. i seem to have stopped it a bit. i was using 1 quart every 1500 miles. i replaced the throttle body gasket and changed the oil to mobil 1 5w40 and it seems much better today on my trip to north dakota.

if you maintain it well, i don't see this truck as horrible. i owned a 2001 VW passat with the 2.8L V6, it was a pile of crap. every day something seemed like it was dying. very frustrating.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
That is one of the best series of articles i have ever seen on the ML thusfar. Thank you

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think the ML would do fairly well on the dirt road challenges. I would be a bit worried about the handling on such demanding road courses but a nice pair of H&R Sway Bars would help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts