Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys need some of your help here to figure out where my mystery knocking sounds could be coming from.
The car is a United Kingdom spec 1983 E300D (none Turbo). There is a nocking/clunking sound whenever I brake or go over a pot whole in the road.
The Mercedes dealer and independent mechanics can only isolate the source of the sound to the front suspension but no further.
We are certain that it is not coming from the engine mounts, gearbox mounts, wheel bearings, springs, shocks or ant-roll bar. This just leaves the ball joints or other steering joints.
Here is the question is there any way to test the joints in the suspension and more specifically the bottom ball joints in isolation from the rest of the steering. Any DIY or videos you could put my way would be a huge help.
Thanks
James

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
here's my non tech method: go under the front of your car and have someone bounce the car one corner at a time. Have a strong flashlight (torch as you'd say in Blighty). You can also simply pull or try to rattle bits of the front suspension like arms to check for unusual movement or sound.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
James there are lots of rubber parts on these cars that deteriorate. There are also several metal to metal joints that need checking.

The best method I know is to make up some thin slip plates and place then under the front wheels - you can then steer and bounce the car to your heart's content whilst holding your hands on parts to feel for vibration / knocks.

WARNING - cars on slip plates are surprisingly mobile! Make sure you use thin slip plates => say two 1mm thick steel plates with grease between so that if the car slides off of the plates it does not have far to fall. I've read that some people use ceramic floor tiles and such like - not smart if the car drops off them and your hand / arm is in the way.

My guess would be the ball joints at the rear end of the brake stays...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts