Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes S320
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I was wondering if there was a way to tell if my car is a pre or post facelift vehicle (1994 S320). It looks post because it looks like my 1997 S280 but the reason I am asking is that i am going to be spending 300 dollars on those clear LED Lights. I just dont want the money to go to waste if they dont work.
 

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes S350L, 1999 Mercedes E55 AMG, 1997 Mercedes SLK230, 1992 Mercedes 300SE (sold)
Joined
·
236 Posts
Since you're replacing the rear lights, the trunk lid affects your work. The pre-facelift W140 has a sharp corner on the bottom of the trunk lid in which the later clear white rear signal lights won't fit, while the post facelift W140 has rounded corners. Also, check your bumpers and side mouldings. The pre-facelift W140 is smooth, while the post facelifted W140 has a distinctive line on the bumpers. 1994 is a year Mercedes produced both pre and post facelifted W140.

Cheers,
Adam
 

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
I thought it was 1995 that they produced both i.e the transition year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,344 Posts
dantefr said:
I thought it was 1995 that they produced both i.e the transition year
It may have varied by country. In the U.S. it was a clean break at the end of the 1994 model year, i.e all 95s were updated. To me the easiest way is to look for the crease in the bumper and moldings of the post-facelift - it's noticeable from about 50 feet. I think the earlier cars with the smooth bumpers look better.
 

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
Joined
·
703 Posts
deanyel said:
It may have varied by country. In the U.S. it was a clean break at the end of the 1994 model year, i.e all 95s were updated. To me the easiest way is to look for the crease in the bumper and moldings of the post-facelift - it's noticeable from about 50 feet. I think the earlier cars with the smooth bumpers look better.
same here, im not a big fan of the 1995+ w140's...although they have more problems, if i was ever to purchase another w140 id again get one that is pre-1995 because im not a fan of that extra line that runs along the bumpers.
 

·
Registered
Mercedes S320
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm i think it is a pre facelift vehicle even though the front looks the same. I dont know about you guys but i reckon the pre vehicles look better than the post vehicles. They were probably the last good batch of Mercedes that were built in Germany my S280 was built in South Africa and it just doesnt feel as sturdy as the S320.
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
Adnan633 said:
Hmm i think it is a pre facelift vehicle even though the front looks the same. I dont know about you guys but i reckon the pre vehicles look better than the post vehicles. They were probably the last good batch of Mercedes that were built in Germany my S280 was built in South Africa and it just doesnt feel as sturdy as the S320.
The one sure fire way to tell is the boot lid.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top