Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1984 €uro 300D NA
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is not leaking and it works but I would like to know the symptoms one notices when a lift pump is starting to fail.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
If the lift pump cannot keep up the pressure to the gallery of the high-pressure pump, your engine will hold back or even stall.

There is a repair set for the valves of the lift pump. There is also a rubber O ring to prevent the oil in the pump from entering the fuel system.

·
Registered
1984 €uro 300D NA
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the repair kit p/n for my Euro lift pump?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
From the looks of it the valve repair sets of the lift pump depend on the engine number according to the EPC.

Engine number up to 617912 10/50 20/60 096659 or 617912 12/52 22/62 085945 had repair set A000 090 0210

Higher engine numbers A0015861207.

There are some exceptions around the stated engine numbers.

Bosch must have them too.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Symptoms:
It takes a lot of Cranking to get the Engine Started; if caused by the Fuel migrating back towards the Fuel tank due to the Pump Valves not sealing. (However, a small Air leak in the Fuel Inlet Hoses or a crack in the Plastic Filter couls also cause this.)

Ounce the Engine is going the Engine does not want to idle well due to Fuel staration; not enough Fuel Volume moving through the Pump to maintain the minimum pressure. I this case the Engine will run fine ounce it is off idle. But, again this symptom can be due to other causes.
There are several Test in the Factory Service Manual.
For some of the Tests you need a Liquid Filled/dampend Gauge or some sort of restricted fitting to dampen out the impulses from the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump because the Gauge Needle will bounce around too much to be sure of your reading.
There is also a test where you see how much Vacuum the Pump pulls on the inlet side.

I do not remember the details of the tests so I cannot describe them.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes Benz 300D Dark Blue
41 Posts
i have an 82 300d with same symptoms, have to depress accelerator pedal to start car and when the engine is cold soaked say 50 deg or less first start of day car has hard time idling, even stalling a couple of times, have to keep slight pedal pressure to keep idle. once car is driven a mile or two and starts to warm up it is fine. i drive the car alot, i have put 29,000 miles on it since april 2009. total mileage is 169,000. since i bought the car then i have adjusted valves twice, replaced all 5 glow plugs and updated to a monarch glow plug relay, done 2 diesel purges, replaced both fuel filters twice and add diesel fuel lubricant additive at every fill up. i will be throwing a lift pump at it this week and i will definately update this page with my result, should have it installed by the new year at the latest. has anybody changed a lift pump before that could give some useful information on what to expect , that would greatly appreciated. if this is not the problem i just hope it is not a tired engine. i guess i will do a compression test eventually to find out. FYI i found the lift pump on europartsdirect.com for $139 with free shipping, comes with gasket and copper washers.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
You need a new gasket for the lift pump and some oil comes out when you take the lift pump off, so have some rags handy. After installing the new lift pump check the engine oil level.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for the info Govert, i will be ready. also is the gasket all that is required? did you use anything to seal the gasket on installation or just the gasket and thats it? Thanks, G.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
I had to remove the lift pump to install a new hand pump and I only used a gasket, that worked fine, no leaks. The surfaces have to be clean of course.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome, thanks Gov, part should be here the thur 23rd, dont suspect should take too long to do job so will prob install next day. thanks for your input, i will update after job done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
well i replaced the lift pump, took about an hour and a half. problem still there, so i can only assume that compression is the problem. when i get the urge i will do a compression test. it may be a while before i get around to it but will update when finished

1 - 11 of 11 Posts