Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to post a tutorial of step-by-step taking apart the front seat with all plastic trim and other components intact. This was done on the driver seat - the procedure for passenger is almost identical. Please let me know if I missed anything.
BTW how do I alternate text and pictures? Can I put pictures inline?

First start off with removing the felt cover from the inside of the bottom frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Undo the plastic ties and pop the 3rd connector from right on the memory module. This connector controls the motor for seat forward/backward position. In the seat removed position this will slide the bottom frame up and down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slide the frame all the way down. Now you will remove the first plastic trim piece. This is the "bottom" long piece on the left side of the driver's seat.

First pull up and to the side on the small plastic "line" so that it clears the metal bracket. You will need to hold it in place as it tends to snap back.

Then gently push and pull on each of the 4 "corners" of the round holding tab. The sideways pressure from the "line" will be enough to pop the round connector but only after all 4 are moved.

Once you pop the round tab separate the top of this piece from the black one.

Slide the trim down to separate from the seat frame completely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now separate the seat belt clip trim piece by first unclipping the "inner" clips and then reaching into the seat frame - the top clips. One of the "top" clips cannot be reached but it will separate after others are unclipped. Remove the clip from the rod and remove the seat belt buckle assembly. Don't pull out the wire yet as the wires have not been fully freed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now undo the other side final trim piece. Engage the motor to slide the seat frame all the way up to expose the area where the clips are "accessible". This is where you'll have to figure out the best way for you to unclip them. I can reach into the "cavity" but only push down on the top clips. So I usually try to use a plastic wedge to push the bottom clips while gently pulling on the trim piece. Then once the bottom clips cleared the metal I reach into the "cavity" and unclip the top ones.

There are couple more clips that hold that trim piece to the metal and they are accessible. At this time you can also remove the two torx 35 screws in the front of the seat frame

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Undo the Torx 45 screws that hold the top frame and bottom frame together and gently separate them. Don't pull too far as there are wires still attached to the frame.

Now undo the two screws that hold the wire "sleeve" attached to the frame. Pull out the sleeve and unclip it. Now you can completely separate the frames. You will need to unclip the connector for heated seats (where applicable) and separate the wires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Undow the screws on the back of the top frame rear cover. You might need to gently pop the bottom of the cover from the seat as it could have "caked" in.

There are 4 metal tabs that hold the rear cover. Usually, when you pry them out the material on the cover will "buckle" up. You can later glue it back.

Separate one side groove and tongue, then pull down on the over to separate the top. You can then separate the other side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the headrest worm drive and inspect. Slide the headrest up (unless taken off during seat removal which is always recommended) and remove. Remove the clip that holds the plastic pinion assembly and inspect for cracks. If the assembly is cracked it will not hold the rack tight and headrest will not remain fixed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unclip the plastic pieces that hold the seat cover to the frame. There are 3 pieces each with 3 or 4 hooks. Unfold the seaweed cover backer from sides and bottom. Unfold the top portion from the frame and lift up and remove the seat cover.

I do not recommend removing the bottom seat cover from the frame because the "filler" piece is attached to the frame by clips that I was never able to remove intact. However, this plastic piece can be retrofitted back to the frame via glue or other methods.

To remove the bottom seat frame simply place is upside down, apply pressure to the frame and remove the cardboard tongue guides from the seat frame groove. Slide the cover off the frame.

Oh and don't forget to check for lose change in the bottom seat frame :)

That's all there is to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for posting. Which car was the seat from? I just did this on my E420 and to separate the frame from the seat bottom involved only two screws on the bottom, two Torx bolts on either side, the seat belt receptacle one wire connector and it was off. And the trim piece on the outboard side. I know the v8s have different seats.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was from the 1995 W124 E320 Wagon. My goal was to completely take apart the seat. I think if it's only covers or bottom frame one is replacing then, like you said, it's just 6 torx screws and 2 trim panels.

If you have heated seats and you are replacing the top cover, then you'll need to undo the "sleeve" in order to pull it. Or just rip it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good job with the sits!
The sits in my 95 E 300D are in very bad condition. Somebody is parting out a 92 E 300. The sits are in very good condition and I would like to get them. I am waiting for him to confirm that they are heated. My 95 has the 2 sits memory buttons and I think the 92 does not. It looks like I will run in some troubles, right?

·
Registered
525 Posts
thanks for tutorial

Unclip the plastic pieces that hold the seat cover to the frame. There are 3 pieces each with 3 or 4 hooks. Unfold the seaweed cover backer from sides and bottom. Unfold the top portion from the frame and lift up and remove the seat cover.

I do not recommend removing the bottom seat cover from the frame because the "filler" piece is attached to the frame by clips that I was never able to remove intact. However, this plastic piece can be retrofitted back to the frame via glue or other methods.

To remove the bottom seat frame simply place is upside down, apply pressure to the frame and remove the cardboard tongue guides from the seat frame groove. Slide the cover off the frame.

Oh and don't forget to check for lose change in the bottom seat frame :)

That's all there is to it.
i changed out my front seat back on my 300ce... the usual drivers side bolster blowout...

i had a seat back from a previous 300ce.....passenger side... all i had to do was change the release button to the other side... drilled out the rivets and moved the button.. re-installed it with nuts and bolts...

also had to punch a couple of holes in the leather to re-attach the armrest....

nice to have a "new" seat back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
lee polowczuk
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing