Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum. I rently purchased a 1972 220D that has been parked since 2001. It wasn't prepped for storage, just parked in a carport here in California and forgotten about. So far, I have drained and refilled the radiator, changed the oil and filter, confirmed that the glow plugs work, and bumped the starter to see if the engine would turn over. All is good so far. I manually primed the injector pump, and it is working.
My question is, now, what to do next. Do I crack open the injectors to purge them, or what? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
I bought ny 65 190d after it had sat for about 10 years. I had to pull start it, but it started. You have all ready done more than I have. I'd go ahead and start it. You will probably have to change the fuel to have it run well.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
If you've bled the air out of the fuel filter and the injection pump and it still won't go then crack one or two of the hard lines at an injector and turn it over with the starter. Once it starts to fire on the remaining lines stop it and retighten the cap nuts you loosened on the injectors. It should start and run. It will be rough until all of the air is out. If there is air somewhere in the system it won't go.

-Dai

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
Use that hand pump to pump the air out at the bleeder,then fire that sucker up!
The filters will catch any debris.

I just luv it when another Benz hits the road [:D]

·
Registered
499 Posts
whoa! stop !!!,drain the old fuel FIRST!,Diesel is hydroscopic,that means it attracts moisture and old fuel will often have bacteria growing in it[xx(]
Yes,real microbes that leave their shit (literally) in the fuel system and won't allow the engine to run properly.Siphon the tank,if you can't get enough suck,you must undo that big bung in the middle of the fuel tank.Don't touch the old deisel,you'll stink for a month![xx(][:(!]Thats why a bottle of diesel conditioner is a good investment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts