Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
ML500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've done a search of this forum and cannot find this info. Could someone please tell me how to set the clock on the instrument cluster? I bought my ML used and it did not come with a manual.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,660 Posts
The little thing that Chris is talking about is the push/pull

knob on the lower right side of the speedo (I've an '02, and I believe the dash layout is similar). I believe if you pull/push it the HHH or MMM portion of the clock will blink and then if you turn it, the numbers will change.

·
Registered
ML500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all! I tried pulling out the knob and truning, but later found that I had to turn ...

Thanks all! I tried pulling out the knob and truning, but later found that I had to turn it a lot harder to get the numbers to advance.

·
Registered
2002 ML270CDI
271 Posts
Hi all,

I've tried pull (and push), Left (for hours), Right (for minuets), door open, key position 1 or 2 ..... all as described in the manual but nothing works.
The clock is only 1 minuet out (on daylight savings) so the previous owner must have managed it :frown

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Neo

·
Registered
2002 ML270CDI
271 Posts
Thanks you Matt,

You put me on the right track.

I'm guessing the switch contacts are a bit worn. So pulling the stork right out, holding the stork closer to the clear perspex, a little bit of upward pressure and a firm (but not excessive :eek) twist left or right set the clock perfectly.

I'm now a happy chappy :grin

All the best.
Neo

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
They can be touchy it's a matter of just playing around with them. They work one day and not the next.
Touchy is right! I can set the min on the clock but the hour will only change over when I leave button in and set for min 59 let go and it will click the next hour !! PIA Think the clock may be going down the tubes!!

Smokie

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,602 Posts
It's not the clock it's the contacts (hello quality control) another unfortunate byproduct of the mercedes Chrysler marriage. With mine I pull the stalk out, turn it in the direction of what I'm wanting to change and then once I'm in that direction I actually push the stalk in slightly while,holding it the direction I wanted for the setting and voila it's done. That was one marriage that mercedes paid dearly to divorce.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
You can't really blame DaimlerChrysler for that, because instrument clusters have been sourced from VDO (by most manufacturers) since year dot. Personally, I think they do a pretty good job, even if they are made in eastern Europe.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 2004 ML500 2011 E350 2015 ML350 2002 CL55 AMG
859 Posts
It's not like Chrysler "infected" Daimler....from all reports they did not talk to each other much regarding their respective likes....which was part of the issue in sharing tech and such. Daimler had issues before Chrysler and has them after.

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,602 Posts
I have watched and owned both pre and post Chrysler Mercedes Benz and the pre Chrysler Mercedes was a more finely crafted vehicle paying much more attention to fine detail and interior appointments. During the time of the association there were serious quality control concerns as the picture of the burning Mercedes Benz from the newspaper with one word "quality?" Is etched forever in my memory. Since the dissolution of the relationship Mercedes continues to experience "quality control issues" however not to the same extent it had previously. My ML55 is a classic example of German drivetrain and American craftsmanship. The engine and associated power train components have over 138k and all is well. But with the same mileage the felt is falling off the pillars adjacent to the windshield, the plastic surrounding the bottom of the seats has cracked and broken in spots, the leather dye on the seats is fading and yes the clock is temperamental. It's all quality and quality control....and the return to pre-Chrysler days has been a slow sojourn. But in the final analysis "if it don't have the star I don't own the car".

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,339 Posts
The thing is with that Chrysler theory for the W163 is was that the W163 was all designed, factory built and units delivered before the merger.
That American feel you are referring to is largely based on MB using the monster of all car interior builders Johnson Controls. The seats, interior side panel trim, dash, headliner, door cards and more are built just down the road from the plant in Vance in a plant that is Johnson Controls' base for MB there and also hands off a lot of parts to Toyota's Kentucky plant.
Also all of it is modular. The complete assembled dash goes in as one unit with a two man team and a hydraulic holder that holds it place while the two man crew attaches all the wiring connectors, hoses, and bolts the dash to what is basically just a painted shell at the firewall with running gear as it rolls down the line.
Same thing with the center console after the carpet is in. The door cards are all done well before and they pop all four on in 5 minutes.
It was the order of things for MB and other German cars like BMWs that are made in SC.
Both MB and BMW have come a long way along with Johnson Controls having to up their standard from Chevy acceptable to German expectations, but it took years.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 2004 ML500 2011 E350 2015 ML350 2002 CL55 AMG
859 Posts
MB from the 70's was junk compared to US cars. We had a 73 280 SE and a 63 Buick Riveria....the Buick was way better in all respects. The MB had a special stink from the material used in the seats, some kind of wild boar hair or something that was not up to standard. Any way I know Chevy people that have their opinion and guys that think certain matches are better built than others.....nostalgia, personal pride, vested interest what ever it is to each his own.

I love my MB cars and take care of them. I don't have all the issues that seem to go around....Lucky or owner takes care of the items. I still have stereo gear from 1980 in one of my bedrooms, speakers and all. Take care of it and it will last is the bottom line for me.

Well, my driver's seat plastic bottom trim does have a broken tab now that I think about it....back of heel caught it when getting out one day. Dam Iacocca.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
But with the same mileage the felt is falling off the pillars adjacent to the windshield, the plastic surrounding the bottom of the seats has cracked and broken in spots, the leather dye on the seats is fading ...
You forgot the carpet that peels off the floor plates and the rear seat backs, the sagging seat pockets, and the centre console sliding lid that sticks then later breaks clean across.

As Noodles says, all this rubbish quality is on Johnson Controls, who obviously care more about the bottom line than "The Best or Nothing" philosophy. On the plus side, I think the engineering of the folding rear seats and 40% tumble seat is first rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.