Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday!

Ive decided to replace my becker bass amp with something a bit better, as well as the woofers in the doors. The only problem is the factory power and ground cables are to small and wont quite cut it. I would like to run a fatter cable from the battery. What is the best way to route it from the battery in the boot to the rear storage compartment where the amp will go? Also in regards to a better ground i was thinking of using the bolt that secures the amp to the car.'

I havnt taken a look in the boot yet, just thought id see what others have done first.

Any advice would be great thanks.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Isn't your battery in your trunk?

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
It was done in my car, before I bought it. They removed the Amp & woofers, but left the wiring, so I could plug in my own. I haven't dug into the rear, to see how it was run, but you can.... Maybe I should now look closer......

battery is in the trunk, so that's easy......

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
If you own an R129 (your profile doesn't state it, nor your post), be careful with electrical gimmicks as you might disturb many of the car's components.

Fuse everything if installing new cables. Use appropriate cables if you are using a powerful amplifier.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Isn't your battery in your trunk?
From his 'G'day' greeting I've a feeling brokenmerc is in wonderful Australia, where a trunk is a boot, a hood is a bonnet, and so on as in the UK.

I have to confess, I once tried to get power wires from the battery in the trunk/boot through to the interior and gave up after a couple of hours 'fishing' with a bent coathanger :confused:. The car is just so well built it's really hard to find a gap. I'm sure there's a simple answer though. By the way brokenmerc, don't forget to use an in-line fuse for safety.

Regards
Steve

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
694 Posts
I ran a pair of phonos and a switch from a new head unit to the rear seat area (in my 91 which didn't have rear seats) and also was left scratching my head when it came to pulling a power cable through from the boot/trunk area. It ain't easy!

I suspect you may have to properly access the area behind the rear seat backrest from the passenger compartment. I think this would probably allow you to see where you could carefully run a cable or two to the battery area. I remember seeing an old video on doing just this at one time but can't at all remember where! I think it was maybe an MB service video. Anyone...?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
The wires run in a plastic channel, easy when the panels are out.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone please correct me if im wrong.

I think i found the plastic channel, It contains the factory power cables from the battery to the front of the car, and i believe it starts at the battery, and crosses over to the left hand side of the car with an exit in the rear storage compartment. It looks as if this channel contains power cables, and fuel lines, maybe just vapour not sure. I am no mechanic and its probably safe, but it seems a little silly to run power cables in the same plastic channel as fuel lines.

Ill try and shove a cable through here, if i cant i think ill just buy a new mercedes amp and plug and play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts