Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420, 1999 E320 4MATIC, 1999 SL500
621 Posts
My cousin's Morgan has speedometer units in furlongs per fortnight. Not really.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Coupe (V6 7G Tronic)
53 Posts
Thank you for your input, I came into this expect more flak than I recieved. and I agree - 200 KPH isn't very fast LOL.
I'm just amazed at how you have managed to blend the two. I've started following late in the game. I'm mostly just reading. As perverted as it sounds, I can't wait to hear what a Corvette engine sounds like through a Mercedes Benz exhaust :D

:devil

·
Registered
53 Posts
in a straight line? undoubtably. around twisty mountain roads? dubious.
That I am not so absolutely sure about. While I believe it will be quicker, I don't think it will be by that much of an impressive margin. I owned a 1993 320e. That straight 6 engine was a rocket. It was actually faster than my current 7G-tronic V6. It was a brute. In fact, all it needed was this gearbox!

The standard 320e weighs 1.5 tonnes. That Corvette engine needs to lug that extra weight around. I'm watching with keen interest. The original 320 can do 0-100kph in around 8 or less seconds with that much weight.

Oh, word of advice, I would upgrade the brakes to the 320 system. There is a good reason why the brakes on the 320 are over-sized. They are not the same as on the 300. Even the rims of the 300 will not fit on the 320, which I found out personally. The 320 brakes are more capable of slowing down the 320.

There are many differences under the body that people do not know about with regards to the 300 and the 320 in the w124 range. It looks stock until you need to order brakes and they have to come from Mercedes directly as no one else stocks them LOL! *Eye Roll*

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,494 Posts
More engine power doesn't translate to better handling.

It's amazing how many times i've had to explain this in my life. You'd think that having more power would also mean better handling and braking from the things some people say.

·
Registered
1993 SBC powered w124
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I'm just amazed at how you have managed to blend the two. I've started following late in the game. I'm mostly just reading. As perverted as it sounds, I can't wait to hear what a Corvette engine sounds like through a Mercedes Benz exhaust :D

:devil
i don't think he's using any Mercedes exhaust components.
Probably not. I was just kidding. The question on my mind is will it be quicker than my old 320? :D
That I am not so absolutely sure about. While I believe it will be quicker, I don't think it will be by that much of an impressive margin. I owned a 1993 320e. That Engine was a rocket. It was actually faster than my current 7G-tronic V6. It was a brute. In fact, all it needed was this gearbox!

The standard 320e weighs 1.5 tonnes. That Corvette needs to lug that extra weight around. I'm watching with keen interest. The original 320 can do 0-100kmp in around 8 or less seconds with that much weight.

Oh, word of advice, I would upgrade the brakes to the 320 system. There is a good reason why the brakes on the 320 are over-sized. They are not the same as on the 300. Even the rims of the 300 will not fit on the 320, which I found out personally. The 320 brakes are more capable of slowing down the 320.

There are many differences under the body that people do not know about with regards to the 300 and the 320 in the w124 range. It looks stock until you need to order brakes and they have to come from Mercedes directly as no one else stocks them LOL! *Eye Roll*
More engine power doesn't translate to better handling.

It's amazing how many times i've had to explain this in my life. You'd think that having more power would also mean better handling and braking from the things some people say.
I wouldnt be doing this if I wasnt sure it was going to make the car faster..

Heres a quick comparison from my early research, and the benchmark I want to hit. Corvettes arent exactly small cars. my 85 weighs in at 3,2xx lbs in auto form and with 2.59 rear end gears it mustered 0-60 in 5.6 seconds.

The mercedes on the other hand.. (to the best I could find) The sedan weighs in at 3,0XX lbs. with the 3.2 and the 2.87 rear end .. the numbers I found for the 0-60 in the 300E is 7.8.

If this motor/trans in stock form can move a 300 lb heavier (albeit more aerodynamic) car 2.2 seconds faster with a longer rear end ratio.. I'd be inclined to think I could hammer it down to 5.2-5.4 with the bump in power and shorter rear end gears.

My performance benchmark goal for the car is a 5.0 second 0-60. realistically, If I can get it under 5.5 seconds, I'll be satisfied.

The car rides wonderfully as is and the brakes are pretty potent for such a lofty lump. Handling and brakes will come next, once I determine what exactly is needed to compliment the changed handling characteristics.

I know I messed with the center of gravity a bit, And I'll have to tweak to adjust for that. as far as wieght goes though.. Its about a wash between the two systems. I ditched the AC components and most of the cast iron components. By my guesstimation, the SBC weighs in around 500lbs, while the best number I could find for an m104.99x was ~450 lbs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I always say that there are two things that can never be too quick. Cars and Computers. Everything else should take its time. Unless it is waiting in a queue.

I was, of course, talking about the 320e. There is a major performance difference between the 300 and the 320 which is why systems like the brakes were upgraded. Given the choice, I would like a w124 E500 :D

Keep my advice in mind about upgrading the brakes. I also found that even on the 320, the brakes had a habit of tiring under hard driving. You don't want that when you are driving like a hooligan.

I agree with making too much noise. The whole point of the exercise is to catch people by surprise. This is partly why I loved my 320. For all it's weight and boxiness, it was usually the first at pull away in spite of being an automatic. We are talking about ordinary cars here ... not a muscle car.

I wouldn't mind one of these ... saw it in Cape Town recently, just not in brown :( I would love to own a 50's 60's or even 70's 'vette. I believe it lost character there after.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 SBC powered w124
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the C3's like you pictured are a dime a dozen over here.. and the second cheapest vette you can buy. I personally love the styling of them, most 'vette afficianados (sp?) over here do not seem to agree. a decent condition one needing minor TLC can be had running and driving in the $2,500-5000 USD range depending on mileage and color.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the C3's like you pictured are a dime a dozen over here.. and the second cheapest vette you can buy. I personally love the styling of them, most 'vette afficianados (sp?) over here do not seem to agree. a decent condition one needing minor TLC can be had running and driving in the $2,500-5000 USD range depending on mileage and color.
Oh, I know that. Here is South Africa any Corvette is quite scarce. The 80s are a little more common, but we are talking by tiny fractions LOL! A few years back the government made a ruling against left hand drive cars too, so that stopped the import of many exotics.

I don't know why anyone would paint a Corvette in an ugly colour such as that brown. In the 70s I could still understand.

I owned a 1960 220s that was a left hand drive. It was my late dad's.

Anyway, let me not hog your thread. I'll be reading with great interest, and I look forward to a few videos once the engine is running.

:)

·
Registered
1993 SBC powered w124
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Not hogging at all! It's a very slow day at work, I'm not sure if they ever made a right hand drive corvette.

Come to think of it, When I was in Joburg circa July 2007, I dont recall seeing a single LHD car. Once we made it to botswana, there were a few. I hear cape town is the place to be down that way. Would love to go back again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Come to think of it, When I was in Joburg circa July 2007, I dont recall seeing a single LHD car. Once we made it to botswana, there were a few. I hear cape town is the place to be down that way. Would love to go back again.
Considering the state of corruption that SA is now facing, Cape Town is the last station of sanity and civilisation hehe.

There are very few left hand drives here. People are easily confused LOL! It's funny to pull up to them at a traffic light and grin at them. It never made any difference to me. You just hang your other arm out of the window to get an even tan that way.

The main issue is visibility for overtaking. The 220s was fairly high, so it wasn't too bad. I once locked myself out of the car because of a ticket booth. I was so annoyed. You have to hop across, wind down the window (manually) pull out the parking ticket, and drive off. Always fearing the boom might come down too soon while I closed window, I always drove on first, with the window open.

That day, however, I locked the drivers door from the inside, hopped over to the right hand passenger side seat, wound up the window, jumped out and closed the door with the lock down. Now you could NOT lock the driver's door with the popup knob to prevent this. The passenger side was my downfall. LOL!

You cannot get the door open on that 1960 beast. Someone had to pick the lock. That was rather quick much to my dismay. I think I had a locksmith who was a crook in a previous life.

·
Registered
1993 SBC powered w124
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
More update.

Oil filter relocation kit, mini starter and water neck came in. Also figured out what I'm going to do about the radiator hose. Gates makes a product called Vulco Flex. Its basically hose molded around a large spring. Prevents it from kinking and gives it the ability to remain flexible in tight spots. and its a gates product, so I trust it.

With the mini starter and relocation kit in, I have a good bit more room with the steering. I lose probably half an inch of movement laterally over the stock components, which I'm ok with.

Also got the alternator wired up. That DIN terminal made it super easy... stole the wiring connector and harness off the vette, put two eyelets on the opposite end of it and voila. b+, d+ and a take off for the voltage gauge I'll end up using.

also got the distributor in and timed "correctly". forgot how much lining up the oil pump sucked. Have to find my old HEI diagrams, have to try and remind myself of why I initially thought I didnt need the three wire connector in the base of the dizzy. I know on the fuel injected cars, its an output to the ECU.

Next step is starter wiring. Any ideas of where I could find a pin out for the starter harness? Theres two wires I'm pretty sure I dont need in it.. Went over w124performance, maybe I was just too tired when looking at it. maybe not searching for quite the right words.

Aside from miscellaneous fittings, small hoses etc, the last things still left to buy are the fuel system and driveshaft.

Things I still havent figured out are the trans shift linkage and the throttle cable.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE,95 E320, 92 400E, Sold 70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD
1,529 Posts
Merchevy-Benzette W1C3

·
Registered
1993 SBC powered w124
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
81 - 100 of 200 Posts