Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2001 C240
Discussion Starter #1
I think im gonna lose my mind....
How in the world do I get to the subwoofer speaker wire in the trunk. It looks like the damn thing is welded in there. I dont know if there is an amp in the car anywhere, but the sub in the rear left deck is inaccessable as far as i know...

Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 馃槧
I know how you feel. I am looking into installing a sub in the trunk, too. My main issue is, I leased my car and I do not want to cut or drill holes to run wires into the trunk.

Registered
2003 C320 2004 lexus is300
I have ran into the same issue. I got mine done.. except I coughed up the dough and had a professional install it.

Registered
mm0350 said:
I think im gonna lose my mind....
How in the world do I get to the subwoofer speaker wire in the trunk. It looks like the damn thing is welded in there. I dont know if there is an amp in the car anywhere, but the sub in the rear left deck is inaccessable as far as i know...
You can access the subwoofer through the driver side speaker cover on your rear deck lid.

The factory subwoofer has a dual voice coil. I recommend unplugging both channels from your factory sub. You can actually remove the factory subwoofer easily in case you want your bass to "port" through that hole. You can loosen the clips from inside the trunk, and then remove the subwoofer through the decklid. Then you can tap off both channels with a Line Output Converter. The fade function works with the subwoofer, it's tied with the rear channels.

Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 馃槧
I was thinking of having it done professionally done too, but, I thought it over and I'm interested in doing it myself.
XenonBenz, thanks for the input. I still have to buy an amp, so when I'm ready, I will keep your info in mind.

Registered
2001 C240
Discussion Starter #7
my question is how to actually take off the deck lid. I cant seem to get it loose at all...

Registered
2001 C240
Discussion Starter #8
nm. I got it. Well now im gonna need to replace the rear left speaker cuz its spitten like a mofo

Registered
2002 Silver C320, 19x8.5 19x9 , Eibach Pro, K&N, Alpine CD, JL, Zapco
Im a MECP Master Installer. If you just tap the rear sub for your inputs, you might and likely will have a problem with the mic located in your overheard consol. Once you have your big subs hooked up, the bass will cause the volume to fluctuate. Solution is to disconnect the mic to use the factory stereo. If you want to install a new stereo yourself, You have to rewire to all the speakers to bypass the factory amp. You also have to do a little rewiring behind the dash, as there is no ignition wire in the harness. Running a power wire is farely simple. You can run it through the factory grommet located behind the battery on the right side. Once you remove all the door sills and panels you can run the power wire through the factory loom located underneath the carpet next to the sill. With the door sills removed, run all your new wiring for the door speakers at the same time. You will also have access to the factory grommits to run your wires to your doors.

Registered
2001 C320
You can't remove the grille to the sub. Well, you can, but you need to remove the deck as well. You can do this by:

1. Remove c-pillar trim by pulling out the "SRS" badges and unscrewing with an 8 or 10 mm socket
2. Removing the rear seat bottom
3. Removing the rear seat back
4. Remove deck

If you want to route wires to a new sub in the trunk, you can go under the carpet, under the rear seat, and you'll be in the trunk.

I did this to remove someone's old ghetto amp (was worse than the factory-installed Bose amp) and fix the rear sunscreen.

Registered
2001 w203 C240 Auto Blue
Is it worth it to try and upgrade the sub in the deck or is there no not enough room i have one in my deck but i do not see any amps

Registered
everycredit said:
You can't remove the grille to the sub. Well, you can, but you need to remove the deck as well.
I am not sure about cars that have Bose, but at least for non-Bose systems...

You CAN remove the grille to the sub without removing the rear decklid. I did it myself. The first time, I had a hard time figuring it out. The easiest way to do it is to push down on the decklid part, right next to the speaker grille (the side closest to the front of the car), and one side of the speaker grille will pop out of it's tabs. You can then pull the speaker grille off. There are no speakers under the speaker covers in non-Bose systems (except for the subwoofer on the driver's side).

TC_TRIGGER said:
Im a MECP Master Installer. If you just tap the rear sub for your inputs, you might and likely will have a problem with the mic located in your overheard consol. Once you have your big subs hooked up, the bass will cause the volume to fluctuate.
I personally have not had any problems with the volume fluctuating because I added big bass (two 12" MTX subs with 600 Watts RMS). This is the 3rd car I've had that has a mic built into the factory system. I have never had a problem with mics in any of my cars.

Registered
2002 Silver C320, 19x8.5 19x9 , Eibach Pro, K&N, Alpine CD, JL, Zapco
The mic affects the system only if you 're system automatic attenuates the radio in relation to the speed of the vehicle. Usually happens in the bose system, or if you have the bluetooth activated for the telephone interrupt.

Registered
Hopefully soon 1982 MB 300TDT Wagon
Well, I have the Bose system in my car, and I am getting the crazy volume fluctuations, how do I disable or remove the mic, or is there an option in the settings somewhere to turn it off/ disable any of it? I tapped the rear sub inputs and put them into my amplifier. When the volume doesnt fluctuate, I get great sound, but the volume fluctuates. I have an '03 C240 with Bose. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts