Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1993 S500 Coupe, 1982 500SL and 1986 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth
102 Posts
Hi All,

I going to have a go at rewiring the Throttle Actuator on my W140 S500.

Can anyone tell me how important it is to use the same grade of wire please? I think the have weights of 20, 18 and 16 but I don't know what diameter these equate to, in the UK most wire is sold by diameter.

Also do you know what the amps would be ?

Interestingly the black sheathed wires are in perfect condition but the remainder are shot.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The scientific way to go about is to get the wiring diagram for the engine which will tell you the color and diameter in MM of each wire. .35mm converts to 22 AWG, .50mm to 20, .75mm to 18, and 1.0mm to 16. You can oversize a bit as long as your bundle doesn't get too fat to go through any bottle passages you may have. Make sure you get wire that is temperature rated for engine compartments.

·
Registered
1993 S500 Coupe, 1982 500SL and 1986 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth
102 Posts
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the M104 throttle body wiring is as shown here?

Credit goes to "kafklatsch"

I also found this image from a M119 (credit goes to "alchemy") :

Hi All, this is a great thread and as a result I have just rewired the throttle body/actuator on my non ASR 1994 W140 S500 Coupe, it all went well and the wiring layout is the same as the diagrams above. :smile

I do have couple of questions please?

1. Solder points 12 and 13 on the circuit board. I soldered on new wires and did a resistance test, I found that a signal from either wire gave a result on 12 and 13, I think is is OK based on the second picture above?

2. In the loom were 4 plastic wires (no metal) that were not connected at either end. Are they heat sinks or something? I put one inside the new loom for luck!

3. When I had the cover off the throttle body, the gear wheels ended up moving around a bit, does that matter?

The repaired throttle body is back in the car and it is running much better but I have noticed the idle speed has gone up to just over 1000rpm and the cruise doesn't work (although I don't know if it was working before as I've only just bought the car). I've only done 2 or 3 miles since the fix so it has been suggested a longer run is required so the car can relearn the settings it needs??

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all,

I recently re-wired my actuator (94 C280) and I checked it for shorts on the new wiring and everything seemed good. After reinstalling the ETA on the car, it still has a fluctuating idle (and stalls easily). I created a post on the W202 channel, where i posted some values I got from measuring my actuator at the pins on its socket. Basically, if someone here can perform these same measurements and post them, this can help to determine if something besides the wiring is bad on the ETA, or if the ETA is in good condition and something else, like the ECU, is bad. I asked VDO for these values, but they didn't answer, so I guess we can measure and post the results for having some kind of reference values.

My actuator is an 000 141 65 25.
t
Thanks,

Bob
Hey there! Do you still have the wiring diagram for this p/n? I recently changed all the wires, I even used pen and paper, but some were almost indistinguishable. Idle is at 1000 rpm since then.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts