Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner stucked the car for almost 2 years so when I got it I had stalling problems because of dirty tank, I had it cleaned already 3 x in one year time. Recently the car stalled again' I've just had the tank cleaned & replaced the fuel filters 3 months ago. All the things concerning the fuel system parts have been changed or in good condition. I can't afford to buy a new one. The problem here in my country is that the only cleaning process is by steam washing or rinsing it w/ lacquer thinner. But eventually the rusts will still comeback. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The previous owner stucked the car for almost 2 years so when I got it I had stalling problems because of dirty tank, I had it cleaned already 3 x in one year time. Recently the car stalled again' I've just had the tank cleaned & replaced the fuel filters 3 months ago. All the things concerning the fuel system parts have been changed or in good condition. I can't afford to buy a new one. The problem here in my country is that the only cleaning process is by steam washing or rinsing it w/ lacquer thinner. But eventually the rusts will still comeback. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!
You can use a gas tank sealer from a USA company like Eastwood.
With the tank out and cleaned, this product will neutralize and encapsulate the rust on the tank surface.

Eastwood Company: Search Results for gas tank

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
There must be salvage yards in the Phillipines. Find another 88 and get the tank from that car. I have 2 spare tanks from 88s here but that doesn't help you much...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Somewhere in "Blumentritt" (sp) there is a tin smith (Latero) who fabricates gas tanks out of gauge 16 or 18 galvanized iron. He was my last recourse, when I can't find body part, when I was there in the late 70's restoring old cars. There are many excellent tin smiths (Latero) north of Manila such as Valenzuela or Mecawayan or in the south such as San Pedro Laguna. Or if you go to Navotas, they can even make your gas tank (or your whole car) in stainless steel. But, I'm not sure if the situation is the same. My experience was 30 something years ago.

Good luck in your restoration. I know the difficulty of obtaining imported car parts at your end.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your inputs! Especially from edcarls, hey nice to hear from a fellw countryman! Is Blumentrit the one in Quezon city? Will defenitely check that place. I also found in the net about kbs coatings auto fuel tank sealer kit, I think it's also a good option. Right now I'm not using the car coz stalling here is quite embarrassing :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm left w/ 2 options one is to purchase an auto fuel tank sealer kit by KBS-Coatings w/c will only cost me $100 or buying a surplus tank from Germany through a junkyard w/c will cost $200. What will be the better option guys? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts