Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched up & down in the forum for posts on alternator replacement following the dreaded Consumer Voltage Defective message.

Had my alternator tested and it's gone so I've bought a replacement ready to go in.

Only problem is I don't know where to put it... :eek:
The descriptions in the other posts across the forum are for various models and I can't tell which one is closest to a 2001 UK W203... :surrender:

SO

...can I exchange the alternator from above or do I need to get access from below?

Once I know that I'll be able to do it (I think) though if any of you have links to a DIY for this then that would be much appreciated. :bowdown:

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts

That is the C320 alternator setup, or do you have a C240?.. What model???

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That is the C320 alternator setup, or do you have a C240?.. What model???
Mine's a W203 C200K 2001 Uk model.
I'm assuming/hoping nothing's been changed left to right for the Uk?
I'll get out tomorrow and take a couple of pics of the engine bay if that'll help.

Thanks for now...
Mark

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
The C200k setup is probably similar to the c240. It's a lot more involved that what's posted above for the C320... You have to remove multiple pieces for space to take out the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gather I'll have to take both belts off but which side is the alternator?
Both look the same & I can't differentiate from the text descriptions...

Pics taken from front of car:
[1st pic is right hand side; 2nd is left hand side]

This is with cowling and air filter off.
I can get to the tensioner torx bolts.
Do I need to remove anything else?

Thanks, again...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I know the A/C compressor is on your first picture. The right side. Alternator should be easy to spot. It will have one of the smallest pulleys. Probably furthest left (passenger side).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the A/C compressor is on your first picture. The right side. Alternator should be easy to spot. It will have one of the smallest pulleys. Probably furthest left (passenger side).
Heh, heh. Cheers, pal. I'm chuckling because we have that right side/left side confusion...here in UK left side looking at the front of the car is driver's side. But the small pulley thing is a big clue...

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
From what I've looked at you're going to have to pull out the alternator from top side. That would require removal of radiator fan, and the large coolant hose in your photograph. I know C240 is top side removal. Unfortunately, I only have detailed instructions for American models on the Star service DVD. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts