Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO REPLACE A TRUNK LOCK/RELEASE

I have an '02 C240 w203 body style. As it ages, some parts took its toll and needed to be replaced. One of the failing parts happened to be the trunk lock/release mechanism. When this fails, the trunk can't be opened using the button on the door, instead the skeleton key needs to be inserted, twist 90 degree and at the same time press the black trunk handle.

When this happens to you, no need to be panic. The part is cheap and can be DIY'ed. The part name is TRUNK LOCK and the part # : A1717500085. This part unlocks the hinge via a small motor inside. There's no other parts needed, just change this and your trunk is back to normal. Easy fix and the part costs $70.

I was going to post pics on how to instal, but then I found the thread for the neighbor forum is very nice and detailed. Here you go : Trunk Won't Open Electronically - MBWorld.org Forums

I hope it's clear enough and can be useful.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Yep, same thing happened on ours. It started failing intermittently, and I forgot that I had to use the handle to open the trunk after turning the hard key, so I removed the latch and tied the trunk closed until I got the replacement.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Yeah, I felt like a real dumbass. The thing is, when I worked at the dealership, I always made a point to train people on how to open the trunk and the door with the blade key. I blame it on my friend Johnnie (Walker). :)

·
Registered
2013 E350 Sport sedan
108 Posts
My trunk latch just stopped working for me and I'm not looking forward to this job. I will stop by my local dealer to buy the parts.

However, this site has helped me fix the few problems I've had in the past so YIPPEE!

·
19,447 Posts
It's really not a bad job. You just remove the trim from inside the trunk lid to get to it.

·
Registered
2001 C240, 1984 300D
951 Posts
I had to do this last year as well. Follow the pictures in the link to the mbworld post and you shouldn't have any difficulty. It's a very doable task with little risk of damaging anything. Be not afraid.

·
Registered
2013 E350 Sport sedan
108 Posts
well, i waited until the latch on my 2005 c230 has fully failed and i'm lucky I got the trunk open and I'm keeping it open in the garage until I fix it. Also, I priced out the latch and cable and the dealer wants $125 for the pair, a far cry from the $77 another forum member has paid.

Update, i just finished the 20 minute job and no cable adapter was needed for my 2005 C230. Thanks again to this amazing forum. I'm on a pink cloud having fixed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Often this is caused by broken lugs on a gear in the lock mechanism.
http://www.hongmei.com.tw/files/image/HGG8012.jpg

I repaired the broken lug on the gear quite easily. Once you have the lock mechanism loose (no need to disconnect cable), pry off the black plastic cover, pull the motor out, pull out the upper pin by pushing the plastic housing inwards near the pin and grabbing it with pliers (you may need to cut away a little plastic either side of the pin end to get a good grip, twist if stuck) then push the lower pin out via the small access hole at the back and remove the gear with the broken lugs. Glue the lug(s) back on with epoxy and while the epoxy is still not set, screw in some small screws from the other side to reinforce this weak design. This is likely to last longer than a new gear or complete new mechanism! I could only find one loose lug inside the mechanism so used a plastic button from the end of a ball-point pen (cut to size.) The reason those lugs shear off is that the steel "hook" in the latch mechanism wears down and mine had a ridge which made it hard to smoothly release the steel loop below. I filed off the ridge and cleaned up the sharp edges on the loop so that the mechanism can rotate smoothly (plus lubed it with grease.) Works fine now and will hopefully last a few years.

·
Registered
2013 E350 Sport sedan
108 Posts
That's some Macgyver action right there. I like how well my trunk seals shut with the new mechanism. I'm sure it's good for another 6-10 years.

·
Registered
2001 C240, 1984 300D
951 Posts
So that's what broke in mine. After I replaced mine it resolved the problem but when I looked at the old one I didn't see anything wrong with it. I had my doubts if it really needed to be replaced.

Nice fix, by the way. If this happens again I'll try that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts