Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was washing the windshield and accidentally scratched the edge of the hood with the wiper arm. Should have lifted by the blade and not the arm. The scratch is deep enough to see the black primer and runs about 2 inches long. What's the best way to touch up and make sure the area will not rust? Can I use any run of the mill touch up paint (650 arctic white)? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,982 Posts
That would be the best thing to do. I would go with the MB touch up kit for your color from the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't do it but I assume the previous owner did because I have the exact same scratch. Mine is right on the edge of the hood so I don't need it to be perfect but I'd still like it to be:D I was worried about it but found out the hood is aluminum so I know it's not going to rust but I picked up some touch-up paint yesterday at the dealer and plan on fixing it tonight when the wife gets home with the car.

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I didn't do it but I assume the previous owner did because I have the exact same scratch.
BTW, what a stupid design. Looks like you can't fully raise the wiper arms for windshield washing without scratching the hood. I don't know any car that will "self destruct" when you try to raise the wiper arms.

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic, "Flintgrau Metallic", Sport, P2, Leather; '78 911SC, 1.8TBeetle . . .
107 Posts
Must be on All W211s... :-(

When I got our CPO 2007 E350 I later found that chipped spot on the back edge of the hood, driver's side, and it did not take long to see why. What a DUMB design to have the wiper arm damage the paint when you lift the arm off the glass... :mad:

I got the M-B touchup kit at the dealer, our code is 368 Flintgrau (flint gray metallic), but even after shaking well, etc. it does not appear to be an accurate match. A couple chips I touched up on the rear bumper also were not accurate.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue, or whether there is a better paint match available from another source?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the M-B touchup kit at the dealer, our code is 368 Flintgrau (flint gray metallic), but even after shaking well, etc. it does not appear to be an accurate match. A couple chips I touched up on the rear bumper also were not accurate.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue, or whether there is a better paint match available from another source?
It's a common issue with most metallic paints. Our E350 is white (non-metallic) and it's not a problem what so ever but my truck is metallic and I have touched it up and no matter what you do you'll most likely never get it perfect. I even contacted Dr. ColorChip and they don't even suggest their system with metallic paints although I've read some people say they got great results using it.

·
Registered
'12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
114 Posts
Dr. Colorchip!

I "third" the Dr. Colorchip recommendation. It's never ideal for lighter color paint -- even they say so I think. My E11 is pewter metallic and the wife's R320 is Barolo Red -- I used the Dr. Colorchip on her car on scratches and chips and it worked brilliantly. The solvent that smooths/blends everything works much better than touch up paint and a brush.

·
Registered
05 E500 4 Matic
89 Posts
I used the Dr. Colorchip on my "Arctic Silver" Porsche, if that's not metallic I don't know what is. It is a pretty good match in my opinion, I am really surprised that the Dr. told you it was not a good match for metallic paints.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I wish I'd saved the email they sent. I can't remember the exact wording but it boiled down to "your results may vary." It's not like they don't offer metallic paints. Like I said though it seems from what I've read most people were happy with it.

Had my scratch on the MB been someplace more visible I'm sure I would go that route. But when I was at the dealer I asked about paint and the guy at the parts counter gave me a bottle since I had returned a nice survey on a previous visit so I used it.

·
Registered
S550 2008
208 Posts
When I got our CPO 2007 E350 I later found that chipped spot on the back edge of the hood, driver's side, and it did not take long to see why. What a DUMB design to have the wiper arm damage the paint when you lift the arm off the glass... :mad:

We are on same boat. I also bought the touch up paint at the dealer base on my VIN, and guess what, it doesn't match.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
I used the Dr. Colorchip on my "Arctic Silver" Porsche, if that's not metallic I don't know what is. It is a pretty good match in my opinion, I am really surprised that the Dr. told you it was not a good match for metallic paints.
Mine's "Polar Silver" another metallic Porsche paint. Dr. Colorchip is a perfect match.

·
Registered
'12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
114 Posts
yeah, mine's pewter metallic -- the dealer had their "guy" come and fix a scratch on the door and he must have just airbrushed touch up color because it is clearly too dark. Immediately ordered Dr. ColorChip and it's a perfect match.

·
Registered
'93 190E 2.3/auto
31 Posts
Hiya - aluminum doesn't technically corrode (it does, but it's self-sealing), but aluminum alloys sure do - look at the powdery white stuff on "aluminum" engine & suspension parts, "aluminum" boat parts & so on. Most aluminum, including all sheet & plate, is alloyed (otherwise it's super-soft). In short, treat scratches on aluminum the same way you'd treat scratches on steel. Maybe MB does something funky, like coat it with some metal to "passivate" it, which could even make the scratches self-healing, but that stuff only works in theory. Worked on too many rotted aluminum cars...

·
Registered
S550 2008
208 Posts
I ordered Drchipcolor today to fix and scratch. They don't recomend it for scratches, yet I bought it anyways. I will post pics (after and before) if the job is successful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts