Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to take out and repack the wheel bearings for the REAR wheel of a 1975 450SEL. I had already removed the rear brake caliper and the rear disk brake rotor, which includes the drum for the emergency brake.<p>One of my two rear wheels seem to be partially locked up, and I felt the car is slowed down by the drag of one of my rear wheels. The reason I think only one side of the rear brakes/wheels may not be functionaing properly is because one side of the wheel cover becomes very hot after traveling for a short distance. The other wheel cover is much much cooler.<p>I am also thinking of changing the brake caliper of both rear wheels, because they look worn out, and may be contributing to the drag. I worry about the wheel bearing because I am afraid the very high heat (caused by the drag of one of the rear wheels) may damage the wheel bearing.<p>Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would first replace the brake caliper and see if that fixes the problem. Most likely the heat is caused by a sticking caliper which causes the brake to drag. If the bearings are bad enough to cause the heating, they will have to be replaced.<br>P E H

1 - 2 of 2 Posts