Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! Got a 2003 E320. I recently put some after market wheels on the car and as a result, the grease caps on the front wheels didn't fit and were left off the car for about 2,000 miles. I've modified the caps so they will work now but I want to repack the front bearings to make sure they are good to go.

Anyone know how to go about that? I see there's a retaining nut on the axle which I assume would be coming off and usually there's a rear seal on the back side for many cars. (?)

Any words of wisdom? I may just drop it by the shop but thought I'd investigate doing it myself first. I'll be replacing front brake pads anyway so while I'm at it...

James

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Howdy folks! Got a 2003 E320. I recently put some after market wheels on the car and as a result, the grease caps on the front wheels didn't fit and were left off the car for about 2,000 miles. I've modified the caps so they will work now but I want to repack the front bearings to make sure they are good to go.

Anyone know how to go about that? I see there's a retaining nut on the axle which I assume would be coming off and usually there's a rear seal on the back side for many cars. (?)

Any words of wisdom? I may just drop it by the shop but thought I'd investigate doing it myself first. I'll be replacing front brake pads anyway so while I'm at it...

James
Well, the thing is the way MB does the W211 front bearings is that the hub comes in one piece with bearings pre-set and pre-packed. That is to say, routine hub disassembly and bearing service are NOT provided for. If the bearings go bad, the whole hub ($229) gets replaced. So, about all you can do is remove the hub, get plenty of grease both on the iside of the hub and onto the spindle and that's about it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
actually, we re-pack wheel bearings quite a bit at the dealer. You'll need to remove the caliper and rotor, then take off the retaining nut. After that is completed the hub will come off the spindle. You will need a seal puller to take off the rear seal. Once that is done you can clean off the inside of the hub as well as the bearings with brake clean but be sure to dry everything completely. Re-packing the actual bearings is fairly easy with a Handy-Packer which costs about $20 or you can do them by hand which is pretty messy. The only supplies you need are the 2 seals and the grease.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
actually, we re-pack wheel bearings quite a bit at the dealer. You'll need to remove the caliper and rotor, then take off the retaining nut. After that is completed the hub will come off the spindle. You will need a seal puller to take off the rear seal. Once that is done you can clean off the inside of the hub as well as the bearings with brake clean but be sure to dry everything completely. Re-packing the actual bearings is fairly easy with a Handy-Packer which costs about $20 or you can do them by hand which is pretty messy. The only supplies you need are the 2 seals and the grease.
Where do you get the bearings separately then? I mean it does not make sense to order the spare part and remove the bearing from the new hub and put it into the old one. I assume it is sufficiently standard to be available from good bearings suppliers?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Where do you get the bearings separately then? I mean it does not make sense to order the spare part and remove the bearing from the new hub and put it into the old one. I assume it is sufficiently standard to be available from good bearings suppliers?
why do you want to replace the actual bearing? i thought this thread was just for re-packing them? The bearing race gets pressed into the hub so you pretty much have to remove the hub to replace them. 4-matic cars i'm pretty sure all have enclosed bearings which aren't packable.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
why do you want to replace the actual bearing? i thought this thread was just for re-packing them?
My mistake, I actually read another time the OP as if the owner wanted to replace original bearings but as you say, he just wanted to repack them. I think I now understand your first post better too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
From what I understand the seal has 4 magnets for the abs/suspension controls.?

Is this correct?
I think there are more than 4 magnets in it but it is for the wheel speed sensor. The speed sensor is an input for ABS but i dont think it affects the suspension. You take off the hub, pull out the old seal then re-pack the bearing and when you need to put the new seal on just get a block of wood and lay the wood on top of the seal on the hub then lightly hammer on the wood until the seal is flush with the hub.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts