Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change the engine oil myself.
I got a Mann filter and the 13mm wrench and lifted the car with a jack.
I see that there is a black plastic shroud covering the engine pan.

Does anyone know how to remove this shroud-how many plastic nuts, where are they...etc.

Which is a safe jacking point to lift the car to do this job and where can the jack stands be safely applied? I used the one below the front door.

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
not off hand..remove them till it comes down..I actually leave that thing off...not sure what year your 140 is but I figure the cooler I can keep the engine room the better. Jack the car on the jacking rubbers (as it appears you did...).

Jonathan

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Here's a better idea.
I purchased an "oil evacuator" from my local True Value hardware store. Pull the dipstick and insert the tube from the evacuator down the hole until it bottoms out on the oil pan. Start pumping. Once about 4 quarts are sucked out- empty the evacuator and proceed to suck the rest out. It's a 15 minute job and if your careful you can do it with out spilling a drop!
Make sure the engine is warm- not hot.
This contraption cost me about $40.00 and I did have to modify the tubing a bit because some of the tubing supplied would collapse under vacuum.

I can't find it right now (think it was ATTDATADIY.com) but there's a service bulletin describing MB's preference for the evacuation method over the traditional method. It even had a recommended professional evacuation machine listed which the dealerships could purchase!
Good Luck!
Paul

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'll use a SuckUp (if you are going to buy a topsider, get something that is marine grade, they hold up Much better..) if time is a contraint. Otherwise on all my personal cars I like to let them drain overnight..I also try to tilt the car some to be Sure the drain plug is the lowest point.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Here it is!

Tools - Oil Evacuation Equipment

REF. NO. MBNA 00/65, 58/95

TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ PASSENGER CAR DEALERS

DATE: July 1997
SUBJECT:
ALL MODELS
OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT

Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow engine oil extraction from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section and a formed extension at the top end. On the other side it ends a short distance from the oil pan bottom. Engine oil can be extracted using the dipstick tube.
Note: Inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.

Engine oil drain plugs will continue for the time being, although access to them may only be possible with the removal of engine compartment trim or noise encapsulation panels.

A pneumatic oil suction unit, manufactured by Deutsche Tecalemit in Germany, is approved by DBAG for use with M-B engines. The unit has recently been added to the MBNA Standard Equipment Program and is available for order in the USA via the sole importer/distributor: AGA, Inc. of Bettendorf, IA.

The note cautioning against putting a probe down the dipstick hole refers to a metal probe. Gently sliding a 1/4" dia. polyethelene tube down the hole will not damage anything. Just remember to tell your car to relax.[:O]

[:0][:0]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
jhodg5ck - 5/4/2005 4:31 PM

not off hand..remove them till it comes down..I actually leave that thing off...not sure what year your 140 is but I figure the cooler I can keep the engine room the better. Jack the car on the jacking rubbers (as it appears you did...).

Jonathan
Hmm.. that will ruin your areodynamics.. the flow of air is designed to be adequate with all the shrouds and trays in-place..so I would recomend you replace all of them..
there are about 8 M10 bolts I think.. I always put copperslip on mine whenever I remove&replace them..

The engine oil drain-plug is a 32mm anti clock to undo There will be a new copper washer in the oil-filter box remember to use it.. If this is your first time there are some pics in my gallery..they might help..
Be carefull with the black plastic top of the oil-filter canister.. they can break if you get it wrong..anticlock to undo..and when you remove to replace the filter.. remeber to look in the bottom for any debris.. this is where the first signs of trouble will be.. I always put a small magnet in and then wash with a little bit of petrol to see if there is anything in there .. and tip it out onto a sheet of clean paper.. The other thing is to look at the filter.. in-between the folds.. see what junk you have in there.. will tell you a lot about how the engine is behaving..

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
True, but that's not my major concern..I'm more concerned w/ allowing as much air into the engine rooms as possible. I have removed all the shrouds on top of the engine as well.
I also pop the hood when ever I can after I park to allow the heat to ecape, not having the encapsulation piece in there allows cool air to come up and out etc..

Call me paranoid, but I do Not want to get into harness issues on this car..and seeing as heat speed everything up I do my best to avoid it:)

Besides, I hardly drive the thing..

Jonathan

·
Registered
S600, 350SL, C300
124 Posts
The service manual shows 4 screws holding the cover - same type as used to hold the front cover. BTW, Mercedes dropped the shroud on later models but left the anchor points. My 1999 came without the shroud. Don't know why they did it or what year they dropped the shroud, but it sure wasn't to save a few cents - I hope!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts