Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since TELE-AID is an analog service that is not used anymore, you can remove this module. This improves the reliability of the optic-ring since it is one less module in the optical loop that could cause a failure, and also reduces the amount of drain on the battery when the car is turned off. Failed modules in this ring will cause no sound from your COMAND.

These instructions are likely pretty close for MOST optic system that replaced D2B optics in 2004. The following was performed on a W220 S55 AMG 2003 model with chassis 174 that has a D2B optical ring.

I did this from memory and a few notes along the way so I hope I got this right and will edit this later if required.

Use the Mercedes Benz Fiber-Optic Bypass Coupler to by-pass the TELE-AID module that is located under the rear seat on the passenger side. This coupler is available from your dealer for a few bucks. Disconnect the electrical connector to the TELE-AID and remove the module from the car. To identify it, it is the only module beneath the back seat that has the orange fiber-optic cable.

Several modules are affected that need to be coded differently in SDS as follows:

Cluster->Control Unit Adaptations->Variant Coding->special equipment “Set TELE-AID or E-CALL” = NOT PRESENT.

Cluster->Trouble Shooting by means of complaint or symptoms->Following Engine Start the Message “TELE AID Defective visit workshop” appears in the display->set “Instrument and communication system” = NOT PRESENT.

Airbag->control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->vehicle equipment->Emergency Call or E-CALL = NOT PRESENT.

CGW-> control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->COMAND or AUDIO-> Cellular Telephone = NOT PRESENT, (not sure if this was required, but it did not affect by Bluetooth puck into the COMAND.

Go to the sub group of Modules listed: “Audio, Video, Navigation and Telematics”->D2B – COMAND or AUDIO->Actual Values of D2B Components->Actual Configuration of D2B components-> Note down the current order of D2B components in the ring. This list should be something like this:

Radio(COMAND, Master), Sound System(AMP), CD Changer (if fitted), Cellular Telephone (used by your Bluetooth Puck if installed), Voice Command(If installed), TELE-AID.

Go Back one step to Control Unit Adaptations->Read codes and change if necessary->Specified Configuration of D2B components->Change the TELE-AID = VACANT. Restart the optical ring.

Clear all Error codes on each module.

Do a Quick-Test and Confirm all is good.

Check the COMAND that your Bluetooth phone still works, the CD player, the radio, Language Module, and the Navigation works.

Check your cluster that no errors are reported. I would be interested to get feedback when someone tries this so we can confirm this process, or edit for accuracy.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Warren, It's great to be able to contribute

·
Registered
2004 SL 55 AMG
98 Posts
Hi - I saw your thread on how to remove the Tele Aid module completely and found it very well written. Since you seem comfortable with the Command setup I thought you might be able to give me a little insight. I have a 2004 SL55 with the MOST setup. Last fall I hit a slight bump and I had my radio cut out, along with getting the SOS Tele Aid error and of course the SRS light. I hadn't planned on troubleshooting this myself, but to shorten up a long story I ended up retrieving my car from a local independent this spring, still not fixed, running rough, and the interior half disassembled. I picked up a C4 tool and I have been cautiously troubleshooting this. I have not taken any modules out of the ring at this point, but did deactivate the tele aid and the E call. I had thought that the Tele aid was grabbing the audio and muting it trying to make a call, but that wasn't the case. I am getting errors in the ring, and it appears that the ring is getting broken at or before the cd player since the user interface is showing no cd player and no telephone. Diagnostics shows a N1111-002 error, which indicates that the second module in the ring is offline. Do the optic connections go bad? My cd player at least powers up yet and will eject the cd cartridge. Besides removing the rest of the panels in the back of my car and checking fiber connections I'm wondering if there is something else I should be looking at. When I removed the E call feature from the air bag it got rid of the airbag errors, so that tells me that it was a failure in the chain of something besides an air bag fault or a Tele aid fault. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
remove the CD changer from the optic link with a coupler to keep the link intact and check for comand sound from radio.
I sent u a more detailed private message since you pinged me there as well.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 2006 S500 AMG Sport
96 Posts
mis understanding the fiber optic loop system

As I was reading the thread that Jim/Jnash was speaking about here, I find myself in a situation that i can't seem to find much info on, as I have read and re read the encyclopedia from Warren, and other similar situations, but still find myself in a quandary.
About a year ago i had a large water leak in the rear left corner where all the audio/tele components are located. As you can imagine, all needed replaced or fixed due to some level of water damage.
No sound for anything, lead me to start with the Amp to be fixed at a reputable electronics store here in the Dallas area. Then it was on to the cd player, then the PSE and VR components for the hands free phone. After getting all different components, everything came back except the hands free phone. Even the blue light on the puck in the middle console lit up, and showed on my phone as well, that we were connected by bluetooth. But, as i got and or tried to send calls, .... nothing. So, i re-purchased a new PSE and VR component cleaned up the fiber optic wires, straightened them, as i had read that even a small bend in the line can cause trouble.
Still, nothing. I laid it on the back seat for a few months, dealing with a couple other issues, but now that those are taken care of, i would really like to get my hands free back for driving. Is it possible it can be the Tel Aide component you spoke of in the thread earlier that is analog, that may be causing it to not work? Even though its no where near where the water took care of the other components nicely a few months earlier!! :)
So, just asking for any thoughts or ideas you may of, or anyone has come up with to either circumvent this or get the correct part fixed??
Thank you so much!
Scot/Powerofchoice

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have sound from at least one component even the radio then your fiber loop is working. You can take the Teleaid out temporarily with a optic bypass connector to see if helps the phone to work. But my guess it's that it doesn't.
What does star diagnostics say about the audio/communication system?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I haven't gotten anything from Star. The dealer says that they don't deal w the old PSE or VR components anymore so they didn't have any info. I will find someone that can diagnose it w Star to see.
When/if I take out the Tele Aid out, you mentioned it goes from Analog, to digital? I can run the system without the Teleaid all together, correct? Does it change the sound from all the components that were on the analog system w Teleaid?
In the end, did you replace it with all new components?

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Nothing changes from to analog to digital. Teleaid is as old cell phone connection for emergencies that's connected to Mercedes version of OnStar. It's the unit that would call home if your car flipped over or you pressed the red emergency button. But since mb doesn't support analog cells anymore Teleaid is useless and you can take it out as long as you insert the fiber connector to keep the loop intact. There will be an error on the cluster unless you code it out using my procedure.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
And you procedure is what you talked about earlier?Do you have it broken down in any way for some of us that are really technically challenged? Thank you so very much for taking your time out to deal w this!! Truly appreciated!!
Scot

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Scot, yes the TeleAid removal procedure is the one shown at the top of this thread. I thought I wrote a pretty detailed step by step guide on how to remove it. If this is beyond anyone's comprehension I can only suggest some one else performs it who is familiar with STAR diagnostics. That being said, I'm up for improving it it anyone can add value.
I am doubtful that it will cure any issues with the cell phone puck that is reported as connected to COMAND but no sound, but at least TeleAid is one less thing to have to have in the fiber optic audio loop.

·
Registered
S430 2000
6 Posts
Since TELE-AID is an analog service that is not used anymore, you can remove this module. This improves the reliability of the optic-ring since it is one less module in the optical loop that could cause a failure, and also reduces the amount of drain on the battery when the car is turned off. Failed modules in this ring will cause no sound from your COMAND.

These instructions are likely pretty close for MOST optic system that replaced D2B optics in 2004. The following was performed on a W220 S55 AMG 2003 model with chassis 174 that has a D2B optical ring.

I did this from memory and a few notes along the way so I hope I got this right and will edit this later if required.

Use the Mercedes Benz Fiber-Optic Bypass Coupler to by-pass the TELE-AID module that is located under the rear seat on the passenger side. This coupler is available from your dealer for a few bucks. Disconnect the electrical connector to the TELE-AID and remove the module from the car. To identify it, it is the only module beneath the back seat that has the orange fiber-optic cable.

Several modules are affected that need to be coded differently in SDS as follows:

Cluster->Control Unit Adaptations->Variant Coding->special equipment “Set TELE-AID or E-CALL” = NOT PRESENT.

Cluster->Trouble Shooting by means of complaint or symptoms->Following Engine Start the Message “TELE AID Defective visit workshop” appears in the display->set “Instrument and communication system” = NOT PRESENT.

Airbag->control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->vehicle equipment->Emergency Call or E-CALL = NOT PRESENT.

CGW-> control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->COMAND or AUDIO-> Cellular Telephone = NOT PRESENT, (not sure if this was required, but it did not affect by Bluetooth puck into the COMAND.

Go to the sub group of Modules listed: “Audio, Video, Navigation and Telematics”->D2B – COMAND or AUDIO->Actual Values of D2B Components->Actual Configuration of D2B components-> Note down the current order of D2B components in the ring. This list should be something like this:

Radio(COMAND, Master), Sound System(AMP), CD Changer (if fitted), Cellular Telephone (used by your Bluetooth Puck if installed), Voice Command(If installed), TELE-AID.

Go Back one step to Control Unit Adaptations->Read codes and change if necessary->Specified Configuration of D2B components->Change the TELE-AID = VACANT. Restart the optical ring.

Clear all Error codes on each module.

Do a Quick-Test and Confirm all is good.

Check the COMAND that your Bluetooth phone still works, the CD player, the radio, Language Module, and the Navigation works.

Check your cluster that no errors are reported. I would be interested to get feedback when someone tries this so we can confirm this process, or edit for accuracy.
Have not used this forum to respond, so hopefully this will work.
Jim,

Do you know if the X431 can reset these codes as I do not have the Star Diagnostics?

Thanks for your help.

Doug.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi , Sorry I know nothing about the capabilities of the X431

·
Registered
2004 S500 W220; 2002 CL500 C215
35 Posts
I changed the codings in Cluster, CGW, and Airbag.

I got one of those big red warnings on the dash about SRS malfunction or something.

So I went to the Airbag section to try to clear the error, and it said that the error was the coding. I tried to reset it, but it just came back.

So, I just went back to the Airbag section and marked emergency call as PRESENT to get rid of the red light.

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S 500
1,133 Posts
I went thru this a bit ago and remember a NOTE in DAS about leaving the Airbag coding as is. Apparently there is a starting self test where the airbag to teleaid circuit is checked. If there is one, all is well and no errors. If you code out the E-call from airbag, SRS unit thinks something has gone awry and throws error.

My best guess is leave the air bag coding as is with E-Call present. It will pass SRS startup check then. No reason to uncode it as there will be data passed ONLY if the airbag deploys. If that happens you have bigger problems to think about.

·
Premium Member
2001 S500 135,965 mi
88 Posts
Ok, I have done the SDS part, now I am looking for the actual location of the Tele-Aid module where I may find the D2B connector so I can terminate. The Star Finder shows it to be either under the rear seat on passenger side, or behind the rear seat in the trunk?

Can someone point me to the real Tele-Aid? My car is 2001 S500 USA model.

Thanks in advance.

·
W220 Moderator
6,166 Posts
Hi,

Go into SDS Quick Test, make a note of the Tele Aid Module number N/xx, either click on that number and it will automatically show you where it is located or come out of SDS and manually enter it into Star Finder and it will tell you the location.

Dean, @pinkster , will know the correct way, I haven't done it in ages and can't remember the exact procedure, my head is currently very involved in VAG Com and a V10 Diesel VW Touareg ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,928 Posts
Dave's post will get you there. Unfortunately, I don't recall the location in a D2B equipped car; in a MOST bus equipped car, it is under the rear seat, passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,558 Posts
Another thing to do on the S600 TT since the interior's out at present.

·
Premium Member
2001 S500 135,965 mi
88 Posts
Dave's post will get you there. Unfortunately, I don't recall the location in a D2B equipped car; in a MOST bus equipped car, it is under the rear seat, passenger side.
It indeed was under the rear seat right side.
Already terminated by PO, I removed the box.
As for the trunk, I purchased D2B connectors, no need to do that as the connectors are already there to terminate any removed module, (CD, AMP, VR....) or remove them all and terminate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts