Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 250D W124 (5s manual)
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I see some people commenting that they have removed the reflector panel on their boot lids, for those that have them.

Considering that this panel is ugly as sin and looks like something that belongs on a jap car, I would very much like to get rid of mine as well.

I can't seem to figure out how, though.:eek:

There doesn't seem to be any screws or retainers for it. Is it glued on? :confused:

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Hey guys,

I see some people commenting that they have removed the reflector panel on their boot lids, for those that have them.

Considering that this panel is ugly as sin and looks like something that belongs on a jap car, I would very much like to get rid of mine as well.

There doesn't seem to be any screws or retainers for it. Is it glued on? :confused:
Usually the center reflector is secured by the fasteners that hold your license plate/tag on...remove your plate/tag and it will come off or you should see the fasteners holding the reflector on...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did remove my plates, and it was just as stuck as it was before.

Are you telling me I have to remove those fasteners? They are impossible to get to without removing the boot lid entirely. :surrender:

If I could find whoever thought it was a good idea to put this spawn of satan on an otherwise good looking car I would castrate him.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,698 Posts
Hey guys,

It may have bolts to secure it under the trunk lining like the 92-93 beauty panel..witch is removed with little bolts under the lining behind and above the license plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you take it off can you post a picture of it? I've seen the panels, but have never seen one actually on the car. I'm kind of curious!

Thanks!
Welp, I'm probably not gonna take it off. I'm pretty sure it's glued in place. No way in hell I'll get it off without ruining the paint. :mad: If I find out whose bright idea these panels were..

Here's what it looks like, anyway:

Sorry for the angle, low on parking space. :p

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
If the panel is glued or attached with double face tape, it may be possible to saw through the adhesive with heavy monofiliment fishing line. If you can find a point to get the fish line between the panel and boot lid, work the line back and forth until it cuts through the adhesive. It wont hurt the paint, but you will then need to find a solvent to safely remove the glue residue.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Welp, I'm probably not gonna take it off. I'm pretty sure it's glued in place. No way in hell I'll get it off without ruining the paint. :mad: If I find out whose bright idea these panels were..

Here's what it looks like, anyway:

[Sorry for the angle, low on parking space. :p
Take a picture with your license plate removed...concentrate on the area under the plate..
You may also have a license plate mounting bracket under the plate which is held on by screws.
This was a bolt on very popular 80's aftermarket accessory which didn't require removing the trunk lid..

I say all of this because I had one as below in the eighties !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has four screws with four studs for the license plate - the panel slides right over those studs with some clearance to go so those don't appear to be supporting it.

According to some guys on a Norwegian forum these panels are held on with two-sided tape, and they are apparently safe to remove without ruining the paint. Just some glue left over, is all. Still wary :eek:

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
If this reflector has been there for long - I mean years - expect some polishing as the paint will not be 100% as the rest of the car.

In all cases, there's some serious cleaning to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it's probably been there for at least twenty years. ._.

The boot lid has been repainted too, but I don't think that's so bad. it'll match the bumper, but not the rest of the lid. :p

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic!

Would it be bad to admit that I kind of like the look? I wouldn't go out of my way to add it to mine, but it's kind of got the '80s thing going on, so it seems appropriate for the earlier cars.

I'm much more interested in your trailer hitch! I want one of those really bad!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Realize it's an old thread, but I figured out a little more and thought someone wondering about these panels later might want to know.

After randomly searching on Ebay, I figured out who actually makes these panels. They were made by (at least) both Hella (the lighting manufacturer) and Schätz, a manufacturer of.. ahem.. alternative taste styling parts.

I sent Schätz an email asking how the panel is actually attached, in a bid to both find out more about how it's attached, and to find out if mine is actually a Schätz panel..

Please be informed that that reflective panel is screwed on in the center and attached with both side adhesive part at the edges.
Now, mine might not have its *own* screws in the center, but the license plate screws do help to hold it in place. So there might only be adhesive tape at the edges. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'95 E 220 Convertible
295 Posts
Usually the center reflector is secured by the fasteners that hold your license plate/tag on...remove your plate/tag and it will come off or you should see the fasteners holding the reflector on...

I wish someone can photoshop this on my car to see what its gonna look like. I was viewing this item long enough, but not sure to get it or no

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but sometime in '91 or '92 MB added a non-ridged plastic filler panel in between the tail lights. These can be swapped onto the earlier models, so even if the paint becomes marred when removing the aftermarket panel, you can cover that up with an OE unit. I added one to my '90 that had been installed on a '92, and it was even the same color

1 - 16 of 16 Posts