Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E350CDI, SL600, 500SE LPG, 500SL-32, SL500, Range Rover V8 LPG, Land Rover S2
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have a question: I'm dismantling a '95 S600 and one of the parts I need is the rear screen.

The question is: How on earth do I get one of these bonded screens out?

cheers
Dave

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Guitar string or cheese cutter wire. remove trim round inside and all clips etc from outside.. ciggy lighter is usually enough heat with pair of pliers get it through... inside and out
two man job saw the wire back and forth will cut through the bonding seal .. sometimes you might have to heat the wire a little bit do it in four quarters so middle of top to halfway down one side then other direction then bottom the same.. Have fun.. It is a three beer job..

·
Registered
E350CDI, SL600, 500SE LPG, 500SL-32, SL500, Range Rover V8 LPG, Land Rover S2
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guitar string or cheese cutter wire. remove trim round inside and all clips etc from outside.. ciggy lighter is usually enough heat with pair of pliers get it through... inside and out
two man job saw the wire back and forth will cut through the bonding seal .. sometimes you might have to heat the wire a little bit do it in four quarters so middle of top to halfway down one side then other direction then bottom the same.. Have fun.. It is a three beer job..
OK, thanks for the tip. I feared that it'd be something like that...

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
The 126 bodies, older 560SELS etc, had a wire already imbedded in the mastic which could be hooked up to a battery and heated. This allowed it to be pulled through the stuff easily. Maybe the 140 has this also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts