Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help. I have searched through the forum, but cannot find exactly how the rear valences come off. This is for the 560, it has a bit of rust right behind the driver's side rear wheel, where the seam is. I want to remove the valence, clean up the rust on the 1/4 panel and valence, and repaint them.

It appears that i must remove the whole bumper, is that correct? the parts are very good, so I don't want to damage them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA-

Bob

· Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
180 Posts
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...5931876-fs-r107-euro-bumpers-outside_rear.jpg

Here u can see some of where the bolts attach, I had to take my whole bumper off (mainly because I had to in order to get the car painted) but I also rust proofed and fixed up the rear bumper when it was off. Regardless I think you have to remove the whole thing, I would check but my car is at the shop and I don't exactly remember. But it's just 4 easy bolts from the inside of the boot

· Premium Member
1989 560SL
2,064 Posts
I want to say "Yes" you need to remove the rear bumper to remove the bottom valence. I do know you have to pull the side trim of the bumpers as they are bolted though the valence. I have mine sitting off to the side since I put the small bumper setup on my 560 if you want any pics of how it looks off. Might give you a couple of tips.

· Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to say "Yes" you need to remove the rear bumper to remove the bottom valence. I do know you have to pull the side trim of the bumpers as they are bolted though the valence. I have mine sitting off to the side since I put the small bumper setup on my 560 if you want any pics of how it looks off. Might give you a couple of tips.
Could you take a pic or two? Also, how/what did you use to remove the bumper trim?

· Premium Member
1989 560SL
2,064 Posts
I believe most of it unbolts from the trunk area.
Take a look at the photos.
Think you remove the side rubber bumper corners, then the rear bumper in one piece. the I think you can get at the valence bolts. It was a few months ago so really not sure. You still have my number, give me a call and maybe I can talk it a bit better.

Attachments

· Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1998 SLK 230,2018 C300, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, 1968 Firebird,
5,392 Posts
Flip, you are always my hero. If your not carving parts out of a car, your making magic for Disney! I'd love to get into that niche !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.