Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how I removed the interior door trim from a benz '92 W124 230E

1. Using a broad blade screwdriver gently prize off the upper part of the plastic trim pictured below. Then slide it upwards.

2. Mirror trim removed:

3. Now again with a broad blade screwdriver gently prize the plastic trim from around the door handle:

4. Door Handle Trim Removed:

5. Now remove the bolt. Pull the door handle forwards and use a screwdriver to unseat the locking rod from the handle and pull the whole plastic piece forwards and out of the panel.

6. Now unscrew the plastic trim surrounding the door lock, it's removed in the pic below:

7. Holding the inner trim panel by the plastic door handle manouver upwards. The trim does not pull away from the door it pulls up Once the lugs have unclipped you can put your hand in the hole where the door unlocking mechanism was and persuade the trim at the top of the door (by the glass) to come away:

8. To give you an idea of how the plastic lugs on the back of the door trim look here's a pic:

·
Registered
208 Posts
If we all did DIY posts like this every time we did something to our cars, it wouldn't take long for us to have a massive database of info!

Awesome job, we should all do the same.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad it's appreciated I call it payback time. When I have a query about something, I Google, resulting in so many forums with great results (including this one)... but when I'm really disappointed about hitting forums that really only ask the same question I'm asking (you know how that sucks) then I make it my point to ensure (once I resolve my issue) to pay it back to the community.

And YES let's all put up more step by step pix, maybe then I'd be able to fix my cruise control, passenger door locking issue, telescopic aerial extending out of it's housing, loss of coolant, loss of power steering fluid issues, etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for a little while to change the ones in my car, as I didn't want to damage anything. This will be of great help. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm stuck with the rear door. Do you think there are any screws behind the wood trim? I'm afraid I'm going to crack the wood trim.

Thanks,

·
W124 Moderator
12,585 Posts
There are no screws behind the trim. Use some gentle force upward and the panel should come free.

Jayare

·
Registered
137 Posts
These things are so funny. Ive been around Mercedes for a while now since I was 14 or 15 years old. The very first Benz I was able to help my father work on/fix constantly was his 83 300SD (which the vehicle is no longer with our family) he had to fix/replace 3 of the window motors out of that vehicle. With that body (the W126) it had more trim on the dang door than my shoes had buttons and sequins... (which im a guy and no my shoes are not buttoned and sequined). But with that being said... over those 10 years I have dismantled about 20-30 times the door panels on the Benzes. So if anyone else has any problems you can pm me as well because I know all the doors for the W126, W123, W124, and W201 bodies.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
There are no clips used in these door panels. You just need a phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket to remove all the items necessary pull the panel. The panel itself is removed by pushing straight up--do not pull out toward yourself.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced there door weather stripping??? I have a leak in the left rear door and i must have a leak in the left front door cause theres a fair bit of rust on the A pillar near the left mirror!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
My drivers front window isn't working...The motor works but the window wont roll down...Could this be a slide jaw problem?

·
Registered
263 Posts
HHMMMMM Ive tried this on numerous occasions but i cant seem to get the darn panel off.. I have removed everything but the puddle light cause i did not know how to take it off.. I've unscrewed everything, taken everything of and ive pull the damn thin up so much and so hard that i rock the car from side to side.. Im thinking of seriously takeing a rubber mallet to the damn panel and bashing the hell out of it!!!! What should i do?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did it, I finally did it.... Yess!!!! Here are some pics of what i did. I didn't break any J clips, but i did break something. Here is a pic of the door.. And the thing i broke and a couple of white clips that fell from the door panel once i removed it. Does anyone know where they belong?

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
How do you take off the thin white plastic that is adhered to the door without damageing it?(the reason why i want to remove it is that i have a large dent in my door that i want to pound out) Once its removed how do you clean off the old adhesive, and then once im done with the door panel how do i put back on the white plastic and what adhesive do i use?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
19 Participants
500me
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing