Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new here, so please pardon me if this has been discussed before (I didn't find what I was looking for using the search engine). I have a 1989 560sl that is in great shape, but I'm seeing the first tell-tale signs of rust just at the short section of exterior trim molding forward of the passanger side door. I need to attend to this, but not sure how to remove the molding.
Thanks in adavance for any advice,
Joe

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I need to attend to this, but not sure how to remove the molding.
One side is held by a screw, the other side is held by a metal clip, and all the space in between is held by plastic grommets pushed on from the back. The grommets will have to be replaced, but they're cheap at the MB dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Scott. What's the best way to access that screw, which I assume is the starting point for removing the molding?

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Hello red car, I'm not sure if you have the screw as Scott says, on my 84 380 there is a nut and a stud at the front of the trim piece, accessable from the wheel well. Good luck getting it loose without snapping the stud, as I did when I removed the lower trim piece. I made a replacememt stud using a small bolt, then ground down the head till it fit into the channel on the trim piece. The replacement clips are available from several of the online suppliers, and probobly the dealer also, I am 200 miles from the nearest dealer so I don't check them very often. Hope the pics help.

I just tried to peal back the rubber seal to show you the rail, and the rubber has gotten so brittle, it snapped in several places, not good when you intend to reinstall, so be very carefull...:eek: Good thing it was off the donar slc..:confused:

Tom

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,325 Posts
The 560 has a plastic inner fender liner that has to be removed. Maybe it can be loosened at the rear to access the nut.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Do you think the liner is a good addition, seems it would collect dirt and moisture, and hide it from view...???? kinda glad I don't have it... Are they easy to remove????

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,325 Posts
Never removed one but I think they are a great idea. They cover from front to rear right at the fender lip. They really protect against moisture and other crap being thrown up over the head light assembly so I doubt you will be seeing any rust on the front fender in that area on a 560.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Do you think the liner is a good addition, seems it would collect dirt and moisture, and hide it from view...???? kinda glad I don't have it... Are they easy to remove????
The liner is VERY helpful in keeping dirt/water out of the nooks and crannies of the fender, and can be retrofitted to older cars if you are willing to take some stuff apart and drill some holes in the inner fender (which has FUEL LINES, ELECTRICAL CABLES, etc on the other side!!). I hope to retrofit a pair I got from Fochmann onto the 85 after I clean up some rust issues.

It isn't that difficult to remove/install, just some nuts inside the wheel well. There are seals involved that you MUST get back in place correctly or the liners won't do much good.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
68 Posts
I have removed the chrome door trim/impact strip(?)in center of the door and sanded out the rust spots, filled and now finishing. When I am ready tp put the chrome back on to the door, do I get these plastic grommets described and place them IN the holes or ON the pins on molding/trim pieces? Then just snap the piece back in?
so far so good......

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
68 Posts
I have removed my exterior chrome door trim strip as well, and repaired the rusty spots. I bought new grommets from the MB dealer (grey) an replaced them in the door holes, BUT I cant seem to get the molding to snap in to the grommet holes! I have pushed and tapped and heated and.....they wont go in. If I push any harder I feel I could dent the door in.
what does it take? Also, did someone say you can replace the front clip that slides into the slot/hole at the front end of this piece? mine is gone.
Lorne

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I'm wondering if you have the wrong grommets. The red ones are for the door/fender side moulding, and the gray ones are for the aluminum brightwork along the rocker panel. The gray ones are a #$%@#$%#$ to get in without destroying the brightwork even considering that they are correct for the rocker moulding. I don't think that they will work for the door/fender moulding.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
68 Posts
thanks for the feedback
I will have to have a chat with my dealer and try to get the red ones.........grrrrrr
I figured it couldnt be that difficult to fit, something wasnt right....
I will try and get the slide in clip for the front end of that door molding, had no idea that was a part! thought I would have to improvise. That should be good for 20-30 minutes while the MB parts dealer tries to figure out what that is.....

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
"Most" parts guys at the dealer only know how to sell you parts from the EPC, which is why you got the gray ones.
It's not really their fault, most of them have never even sat in a 107, let alone wrestle one of those clips in.
Sometimes you have to tell them what you want, which is where this place becomes invaluable.

Fish

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
The red and gray are definitely different. To the best of my knowledge, the gray ones are not available from anyone else than MB; the red ones are available from MB and also from others. They are downright cheap aftermarket.

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
If you look in the EPC the red one (000 988 76 81) was replaced by the gray one (001 988 76 81).
Both can be sourced outside the dealer, however the gray ones will be genuine and not as cheap.

You may not be able to get the reds from the dealer anymore. I've been getting them from the place
I linked above for a few years, I buy them 100 at a whack. Every car I paint gets all new ones.
I never use the grays, as strife pointed out, too easy to damage the molding :crybaby2:

Fish

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
68 Posts
Thanks Fish and Strife
I can see your point, and I have to say again what an amazing and helpful resource Benzworld forum has been for this MB newbie and my 380SL project!!
I will work on removing the grey ones, buy some red ones and stop whining.
The fun factor on this car is huge, like someone said, its not a car, its an adventure...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts