Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2004 ML350, 1967 Ferrari 330, 1962 300SL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to replace my two plastic side panels, on the rt and lft of the rear window on my R230 vario roof...Any help would be appreciated...This is a great information gathering site....:bowdown:

·
Registered
2008 E63
41 Posts
I just did this actually, you have to stop the top midway through so the pillars are vertical, then the plastic panels will slide down approximately 1 inch and come off.. if you buy new ones you will see how they attach.

My passenger side one came off in one piece using a piece of wood and a hammer to knock it down from the top. The drivers side on mine wouldn't budge and I ended up breaking it to get it off. Make sure if you do this to get all the plastic pieces out of the channels before installing a new one.

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
There is a small detent about 2/3 way down on the inside on both sides if I remember correctly. Put a small shim under the plastic at this point and then tap it down. It will go much easier. When you put the new ones in have a helper to help hold the complete trim piece down so all the slides completely engage or you'll have a hump when you get done.
Glenn

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wish to replace my two plastic side panels, on the rt and lft of the rear window on my R230 vario roof...Any help would be appreciated...This is a great information gathering site....:bowdown:
Does this help ?

I painted mine black with clear coats with aerosol auto paint from parts shop , looks new .

Attachments

·
Registered
sl500
137 Posts
Thanks for the info, I did not realize that these panels come off, sure makes it easier to paint , unless you break one or both. Must be those harsh car washes that break down the paint.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Right now this is the only imperfection on my 2005 SL55. Mine has been garaged about 95% of the time and only hand washed. But in the last year its starting to really de-glaze on the edges. So going to get the panels and replace them in the next couple a weeks.
Looks like a good DIY type of project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Right now this is the only imperfection on my 2005 SL55. Mine has been garaged about 95% of the time and only hand washed. But in the last year its starting to really de-glaze on the edges. So going to get the panels and replace them in the next couple a weeks.
Looks like a good DIY type of project.
It was simple .
I had the motor running and door opened ( as to prevent the roof from moving
) while tapping on the top of the plastic part at its top , with a piece of wood about 1/2 " x 1 " x 6 " and a small hammer.
The only hard part was to bend the part to contact all of the connecting slots while reinstalling . Yeah , DIY for sure .

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
708 Posts
Black Plastic Rear Window side trim replacement

Thanks to a lead on the forum, i discovered it is easily a DIY Project, and affordable. I need to replace the trim pieces on my 2003.

PN: 230-792-04-30 and 230-792-03-30 Cost $50-60 Ea. +/-

I did hear a possible rumor that the panels on the '03 require upgrading to the late model carrier plate to fit the new panels. (I don't think the old style "C" panel is available) ? Thoughts?

Black plastic panels on sides of rear glass. - MBWorld.org Forums

Rear window sides are peeling anyone else? - MBWorld.org Forums

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
FWIW, when I replaced these panels on my 2003, those part #'s fit without modification.
Of course, no way to know if prior owner would have changed them; didn't look like it, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a great find - thanks guys. Probably the only issue I've got with mine that bugs me from a cosmetic standpoint. Great $100 fix - not too many of those on the R230!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Another option

Here is another option that worked well for me.

When I bought the car, the paint was peeling/fading from those panels. So I bought $7 in supplies and fixed the whole thing.

Got a large plastic dropcloth from the dollar store (the really cheap thin kind) and draped it over the car. I think it was 9x12 so it didn't cover the entire car, but did cover most of it.

Took a sharp utility knife and cut around the c-pillar panels. Cut out the rectangle so they are exposed. Basically you now have the entire car covered except for the c-pillar panels.

Taped the rubber moulding around the outside. The panels have gaps on all four sides so it is really easy. Now everything is masked except for the panels.

Shot 1 quick thin spray of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter (not sure if necessary, but helps paint stick to plastic and other difficult surfaces)

Shot 2 quick thin sprays of Walmart's own brand of black gloss spray paint (was $0.70 a can or something cheap like that)

Waited 10 mins for the paint to partially dry, then ripped off the plastic and tape (I was impatient.. wanted to see what my paintjob looked like)

Looks brand new, and has been there for months (multiple carwashes, sunlight, etc.) and still looks the same.

Didn't realize the panels were $50 a piece or I would have bought them and just replaced. But this $7 solution looks really really good.

Now that I see how easy it is to remove the panels, I think the ideal solution would be to remove, place on the floor on newspaper, paint, then reinstall. Would save the masking.

But overall this entire job took me 10 mins and looks like new.

Just an option.. thought I would throw it out there for anyone's future benefit on this forum. Hopefully someone finds it helpful!

·
Registered
2005 SL 500, mileage 99K
210 Posts
My panels look exactly the same as the ones pictured. I thought that the detailer had gone overboard polishing the car when I purchased it. I also had the same intention to replace them at some point, but I'll try to paint then first as I already have the paint and clear coat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.