Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
unfortunately my Fuel Distributor doesn't work well anymore. It gives more pressure to one of four injectors.
I'm going to check the number part printed on Fuel Distributor.
But I must remove air filter housing to access the Fuel Distributor.
Does anyone have a tutorial? Or maybe a video tutorial? I don't want to make damages...
I didn't find a tutorial, because my motor is M102.963 and I discovered this model is unusual in USA (I'm in Italy, car manufactured in Germany).
The air filter housing is this (more or less)

(pic found on Internet)

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
I'm only familiar with the one on a 260E/300E but it looks pretty similar to your 200E, just bigger...

do NOT remove any of the nuts on top of the housing, or the clips around it.

around the bottom of the main part of the air filter housing should be about 3 tabs that have a 10mm nut holding them down. I can see one in that picture near the oil filler cap, there's probably another farther back near that red oil dipstick, and the one on the side closest to the left-side transmission hump may well be a vertical slot with a horizontal nut that you just have to loosen a turn or two, not remove...

the air pipe into the cleaner housing should come off, probably between the bellows and the housing. there is probably another smaller rubber hose, maybe 1-2cm in diameter, that connects the bottom of the housing to the valve cover, this is crankcase ventilation, and the housing has a rubber lip that presses around the air flow sensor into the throttle/intake manifold, just lift it straight up after unbolting it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success! Thank you volvo745!
I managed to get my fuel distributor part number: 0438101026
Now I have to find a working used fuel distributor in Italy.
I checked brand new price: 1080 Euro :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
there's a procedure online for tuning the fuel distributor, and they can be rebuilt too, although finding the right o-rings is non-trivial.

00 Miscellaneous Reference Articles

I think I've seen another write-up of a similar procedure that was complete with pictures.

here's a rebuild procedure for an 8 cylinder porsche CIS system, the CIS distributors are all pretty similar...
http://www.porsche928forums.com/download/manuals/CISRebuild.pdf

but before diving into it, are you sure its the fuel distributor and not your injectors?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have problems starting the car, I must crank for a quite long time to start engine. My mechanic installed new injectors, spark plugs, fuel accumulator (total €500), thinking of a gasoline pressure problem. The problem didn't go away so he told me the fuel distributor must be replaced, because it sends too high pressure to one of 4 injectors and the engine gets flooded. Swapping injectors didn't help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your links, volvo745. According to "CIS Systems - Testing and Adjusting" (1st link), I should be able to adjust a screw to decrease pressure to an injector.
I can't deal with removing fuel distributor... maybe I can get help from a carburetor-specialized mechanic to remove it and adjust that screw.
Do you think that regulation will solve my problem?

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Thank you for your links, volvo745. According to "CIS Systems - Testing and Adjusting" (1st link), I should be able to adjust a screw to decrease pressure to an injector.
I can't deal with removing fuel distributor... maybe I can get help from a carburetor-specialized mechanic to remove it and adjust that screw.
Do you think that regulation will solve my problem?
well, I guess it depends on WHY that one cylinder has too much pressure (if in fact it does, and the mechanic isn't just guessing).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mechanic didn't tell me why. He said he won't try to fix it. Maybe internal o-rings are worn-out. I really don't care about having a perfect distributor, since I drive on CNG. I only start the car with gasoline. I thought adjusting that screw could fix the pressure although the distributor would run sort of "unbalanced". (I hope I explained it well.)

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
the o-rings should last forever or until mangled by being disturbed. more likely, one fo the plungers is munged up by a bit of debris that got into it.

CNG, eh? I wondered what that silver thing around your air flow intake was, and the extra plumbing evident in the picture (since I'd never seen a benz 2.0L 4 banger, i didn't ask).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one fo the plungers is munged up by a bit of debris that got into it.
Fuel distributor provides more (not less) pressure to 4th injector. If debris got into distributor, it would provide less pressure as debris prevent building pressure. Is it correct?

About CNG... I know, it's a pity. But I can't afford gasoline actual prices. :(
I can drive for about 250 km with 18 kg of CNG (€ 14).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw several videos about Bosch KE-Jetronic injection system. I'm documenting about that. I believe that if I adjust a screw I can apply less pressure in lower chamber and then in upper chamber and then in injector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts