Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
I just painted my 460 (1980 230G) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to refinish the headlight surrounds? they are made of rubber and mine are rather weather beaten...
thanks
George

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
George,

When I worked in General Aviation, we had some products from B.F. Goodrich for restoring and maintaining DeIce boots on Beech and Cessna aircraft. The help you need could be as close as your nearest small aircraft maintenance shop. (FBO)

While there, ask for a product called Nu-Boots. Their distributor is Boots West Aviation in Phoenix. They provide an FAA approved process for restoring DeIce boots on aircraft.

Good Luck, Richard

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
I've used two different products successfully on mine. Most recent is Zaino's Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. It dries to a not wet or oily finish that looks very good, and is not really glossy - especially on weathered rubber. Unless your surrounds have some physical deterioration or erosion, this should do the job very nicely. It also works very well on the exterior side mouldings.

I used to use STP's "Son of a Gun" Vinyl Protectant. It also works well; but not as good as the Zaino, imnsho.

(Don't use Armorall!)

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I liked the results I got from Mothers' "Back to Black" product. No gloss, just deep black rubber look. I seemed to last fairly well too, like a couple of months looking good. And that's saying somethign when the truck is stored outside in the 9000 ft sun. The stuff seems to be pretty widely available. I got mine at eiter Checker/Kragen/Schucks or at Advance Auto Parts.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my problem is that they have some surface erosion so I think I need a substantial type coating rather than just a treatment...also, I did check that German parts site (neat site) but didn't see any plastic headlight surrounds 4x4rancher...so you have a URL for them by any chance? I also haven't been able to find any DeIce type coatings...
thanks all
George

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi MazWorld,
is it the 5.1LV001re and 5.1LV001li ?

I'll email them tomorrow to order!
Thanks!
George

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Gkase - 4/3/2005 1:26 PM

Hi MazWorld,
is it the 5.1LV001re and 5.1LV001li ?

I'll email them tomorrow to order!
Thanks!
George
He's a good guy, but doesn't always respond quickly, as he's a one man show and is often out rallying.

Also, he speaks no Englisch and takes no credit cards. You'll have to wire the funds.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
New Originals

Sell for about US$100 each side in Europe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
George,

What Dutch has to say is true. If you're interested in buying new origonals in Europe, they can be had for 76.71 Euros each. (about $100.00 each plus shipping)

Yes, the part numbers you quoted are correct according to the web site.

I'm suprised that the people that painted your truck don't have a ready solution for you. Certainly they can offer a repair and flexible paint. Possibly in the same color as your truck.

If you decide on buying new, drop me an e-mail or PM.

Richard

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Waren,
Europa doesn't list the number in its catalog...are you sure about the number and do you have a North American source?
thanks
George

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Gkase - 4/4/2005 1:39 PM

Thanks Waren,
Europa doesn't list the number in its catalog...are you sure about the number and do you have a North American source?
thanks
George
They're not listed in the DCAG parts website either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gentlemen,

Searching through the 461 EPC, I ran across these two numbers for Panelling, Front lighting unit for about 32 Euros each.

A4618800140 left
A4618800240 right

I can't vouch for their quality but the diagram says that they are the correct items. (section 88 - Attachment Parts, 015 - Front Fender, item 064)

Maybe someone can check out my search and see if you concur.

Richard

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Richard,
The fellow at Europa says although he doesn't know anything about them or what they are made of, those are good numbers...they're $75US each...but they are for the 461...anyone know if they will bolt right on to my 460?
thanks all,
George

·
Registered
1987 280 GD TURBO
132 Posts
yes they bolt right on, they are made
of plastic and are black. perfect for paintihg
to match body color.
Cheers Warren

·
Registered
111 & 126
151 Posts
I called europa back in November asking if they will fit my 460, he said no...so please double check before ordering and if they do fit drop me a pm...as i'm slowly gathering up parts for my restoration.

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If anyone knows for sure we'd love to hear it...the guy at Europa had never heard of these (Scott)...so if anyone has actually used them it would be useful...
thanks
George

1 - 20 of 21 Posts