Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my ML about a year ago, $2,000 for a 320 with 138K in decent shape,.. with only one key.. No way am I going to spend anywhere what a dealer wants for a key... So came up with a cheap way to have 3 keys for my ML..

This back-door approach for re-keying is not for someone worried about getting your 20 year old ML stolen, but is more for guys that only have one key and are having nightmares about losing that one and only key..

You will need:

(1) Febi cylinder barrel lock Nr No 26677 Vergl-Nr/Repl-No 202-460 07-04 It's a new ign/column lock cylinder with 2 cut.. un-chipped keys.. $38.00 on ebay..

(2) Cheap-o remote unit with 2 fobs.. $12.00 on ebay..

Take your old key and insert it into the new Febi cylinder... Unless your extremely lucky, you'll have some locking shims sticking out from the cylinder.. Grind off the protruding shims so they are flush with the cylinder.. Now you have 3 keys that fit that lock.. Two new and one old key.. Take apart your old fob with V chip in it.. Take the V-chip and attach to the out-side "pick-up ring".. (silicone and black tape).. So now you've got 3 keys that will start the car..

Install the cheap-o remote on your interior door lock switch.. The unit fits nicely under the center console glove box.. How you have 3 fobs that will unlock your ML.. Take your OEM key/fob and put in in a nice safe place, never to see the light of day, unless it's an emergency..

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
I bought my ML about a year ago, $2,000 for a 320 with 138K in decent shape,.. with only one key.. No way am I going to spend anywhere what a dealer wants for a key... So came up with a cheap way to have 3 keys for my ML..

This back-door approach for re-keying is not for someone worried about getting your 20 year old ML stolen, but is more for guys that only have one key and are having nightmares about losing that one and only key..

You will need:

(1) Febi cylinder barrel lock Nr No 26677 Vergl-Nr/Repl-No 202-460 07-04 It's a new ign/column lock cylinder with 2 cut.. un-chipped keys.. $38.00 on ebay..

(2) Cheap-o remote unit with 2 fobs.. $12.00 on ebay..

Take your old key and insert it into the new Febi cylinder... Unless your extremely lucky, you'll have some locking shims sticking out from the cylinder.. Grind off the protruding shims so they are flush with the cylinder.. Now you have 3 keys that fit that lock.. Two new and one old key.. Take apart your old fob with V chip in it.. Take the V-chip and attach to the out-side "pick-up ring".. (silicone and black tape).. So now you've got 3 keys that will start the car..

Install the cheap-o remote on your interior door lock switch.. The unit fits nicely under the center console glove box.. How you have 3 fobs that will unlock your ML.. Take your OEM key/fob and put in in a nice safe place, never to see the light of day, unless it's an emergency.. View attachment 2603079
Bobby just so no one new reads this and gets the wrong idea the only key available for an ML is a $ US 40.00 valet key. You cannot buy a Fob key at all was just at the dealer last Friday to pick one up, they must be ordered.

The valet key does not have a remote lock function it does provide a chip to over ride the immobilization system. Your method does give you three fobs to remote lock, I don't think it turns on the alarm?

Some folks use a valet key as there primary leaving the original remote fob some where in the ml. Then when parking in a high crime area they take both keys using the remote fob to lock and alarm.

Your work around is interesting and a good one, just goes to show the lengths folks have gone to trying to solve the failure of Mercedes Benz of not providing a key Fob replacement.

Must also mention there are tons of vendors selling key blanks, which with your method would avoid the lock cylinder change. But I could not find one locksmith in my area that could cut it, I called everyone. There are smiths in areas like La that claim they can.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ya and double ya.. This is not for someone who's worried about security.. My 20 year old ML is not a high priority target for criminals in my neighborhood.. In fact, I live in the country.. where criminals will steal your chickens before they will mess with your cars.. This is for someone who is worried about losing or locking your only key in the car and don't want to smash out a window.. You say a "Valet key".. Ok...

PS.. I use to live in the city... My 280ZX was stolen 3 times in one year.. for the BBS rims and other goodies.. I know and feel your pain...

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
You say a "Valet key".. Ok...
Yep valet key AKA Mickey Mouse Key. My wife has the fob, I have a valet key. She teaches High / junior high school, I feel that is where our biggest crime threat lies LOL. Actually her students and school itself is pretty safe but there is always one.

As to the valet key some folks have reported their dealer has not told them about it when inquiring about the no longer available fob. Read one post where the poster was told he would have to replace his whole system at a tune of 3000. ( can't remember if fobs were available or not at the time) His only crime was loosing all fobs the dealer did not offer the valet key option.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,061 Posts
Bobby:

Great job x2 on resourcefulness for this issue (MB could gain some 'cheap credit and Kudos, but no') that bedevils us w163 fans.

I'll watch your video right now.

Wallyo: just spoke with Robert from Classic MB in Tyler Texas parts dept he confirmed "sorry no FOBs yet & no date, only secondary keys for now"

So they call Valet a "Secondary key".

It matters not...'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...'

David

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave,... but I think, I need to explain the new cylinder route vs the "valet" option... The old lock cylinder was real sloppy and hanging up.. So one way or another, I needed to replace it.. Had it not been, .. The Valet key is far less the hassle at pretty much the same price... That's unless you live in the woods (Yours truly).. and the nearest MB dealer is 70 miles away..

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Bobby:

Great job x2 on resourcefulness for this issue (MB could gain some 'cheap credit and Kudos, but no') that bedevils us w163 fans.

I'll watch your video right now.

Wallyo: just spoke with Robert from Classic MB in Tyler Texas parts dept he confirmed "sorry no FOBs yet & no date, only secondary keys for now"

So they call Valet a "Secondary key".

It matters not...'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...'

David
David I will double confirm your Robert with my Tony. I was not clear in my post, when we picked up our valet key Tony said exactly what your Robert did and added "the last bulletin I got was 2016 it states the only option is a valet key" He then showed us the bulletin printed on bright orange paper. LOL

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,914 Posts
Keyless Go kit is also another option. They hook up to the ML quite well and you don’t need any keys.
The kit I used also had a keypad that stuck in the corner of the windshield that you could use if the fob had a flat battery.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bobby can you post the make and model of the remote you used, and maybe why you choose it?

That way others wanting to do the same will have the info.

It's cheap... It works.. 3 function control... decent range... good quality for the money..

You can wire this up to anything 12v... The fob shows a lock, unlock, and trunk figure on them.. But you can wire this up to roll down your windows if you liked... The switching is.. 3 NC and/or 3 NO..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm not sure either.. I haven't really checked into that... BUT:..Can you turn the alarm on manually from inside the car?... If yes, then YES... Do have at least one working OEM remote ?.. If yes, then Yes, but involves some circuit board work.. (OEM remote hard wired inside car, New remote use to drive OEM remote)..

Ga dang,... I wish I would have thought about it before.. It would be pretty simple to have installed the OEM board inside this remote unit..

·
Registered
2000 ML320
4 Posts
I have a 2000 ML320 and need a new key. I tried to order a valet key and was told that there are none available worldwide, however he couldn't see the U.S stock levels as we are in Australia. Apparently replacement keys have not been available since January 2019. Does anyone know if any American Mercedes dealers have the valet key still in stock?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
The remote Key is no longer available but the spare/valet keys are always available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts