Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting....I was thinking of that the other day.....but I did not think of that scenario....actually I thought of when the transmission shift solenoid/motor dies, how will you put it in park or drive or whatever?

You would need to a repair manual to tell you that. I'm sure it's not hard, you just need the procedure. I would search some of the other newer MB forums on this board for your answer.

Why not just jump it and put it in neutral?

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Road and Track magazine had a shifter failure on a 06 ML500 and had it flatbedded into the shop, so I guess they couldn't figure it out too.

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
there should be a way to release the tranny to put it into neutral.... how do i do it?
You cannot shift to neutral on a dead battery. You will need a boost to start the engine then shift the tranny. MB designed this electronic system without any back up or a manual alternative. Also be aware the tranny will not shift under a defective ISM Motor even if the battery is fully charged. Should you win the misfortune of a defective ISM Motor on the road only your Dealer can shift the tranny with a special software in the field. And usually they are well equipped for that.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
463 Posts
You cannot shift to neutral on a dead battery. You will need a boost to start the engine then shift the tranny. MB designed this electronic system without any back up or a manual alternative. Also be aware the tranny will not shift under a defective ISM Motor even if the battery is fully charged. Should you win the misfortune of a defective ISM Motor on the road only your Dealer can shift the tranny with a special software in the field. And usually they are well equipped for that.
Well that sounds very bad. Last year my old 2004 ML500 had a dead / leaking battery so the car was grounded in my underground garage.

The problem is that while a tow truck CAN fit in my garage, it CANNOT tow my ML out because the ceiling is too low, so the tow truck had to pull out my ML with a chain. Thankfully the W163 still had a normal shifter so I COULD put it into N.

Therefore, if this same scenario happened to my W164, that means there would be NO WAY to tow the car out of the garage, and NO WAY to pull it out with a chain either.

Nice going MB...I guess the dealer would have to come to my garage and perform service in there. :confused:

Reactions: Ka6aH W140

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Therefore, if this same scenario happened to my W164, that means there would be NO WAY to tow the car out of the garage, and NO WAY to pull it out with a chain either.

Nice going MB...I guess the dealer would have to come to my garage and perform service in there. :confused:
MBUSA has issued a dealer technical bulletin which may address this case. It involves attaching "Free Wheeling Adapters" to the wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the shifter now has its own battery. i had a battery warning light on my 09 350, and took it in. dealer said that the accessory battery, which is soley for the shifter, was not taking a charge. they swapped it out

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the shifter now has its own battery. i had a battery warning light on my 09 350, and took it in. dealer said that the accessory battery, which is soley for the shifter, was not taking a charge. they swapped it out
This is quite an improvement and probably the only solution for that infamous design problem. Now all they need is a "reliable" auxiliary battery.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great info. dunno about you guys, but if I had a model that didn't have the aux battery and my main battery was dead, there is no way I'd buy a special tool that involves taking two wheels off!!!!! A battery charger or a new battery seems like the best way

I guess if the shifter unit is broken and you are parked underground though this may be your only option other than the mechanics coming with a SDS to your house!

May leave my car in N in my underground parking from now on when I go on holiday!!!

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
It involves taking all four wheels off. With 4Matic, you need all four wheels to be free-spinning.
there is no way I'd buy a special tool that involves taking two wheels off
The TSB on the subject instructs removing one wheel and reinstalling it with the free wheel gizmo in place. The vehicle can then be pushed or pulled out of its parking space and winched onto a flat-bed.

I don't think the special tool is targeted at owners, just dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
C300 is disabled and stuck in park..how to put in neutral

if your MB C300 dies and wont shift into neutral in order to be towed, here is the mechanical fix.
simply pry the leather shifting boot up of its base. you can pinch the boot with both hands, one in front of shifter shaft, and one behind, pull it straight up, and the boot will pop off like a tupperware lid from the base. Find the yellow button down in the hole and press it down, hold it down with a finger and pull it from park to neutral with your other hand. BE Careful if the car is on an incline!!! Wait for the tow service person to show up.
PLEASE HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ALL THE WAY DOWN AND YOUR FOOT HARD ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. I did this on an incline and she started to roll despite having the parking brake on...theres a great video on YouTube too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey this works for dead battery and no key.

Grab a pen, underneath the shifter take the little circle cover thing out. Put your foot on the break press up with the pen and shift to neutral.

Video below of me doing this on a 2014, good luck!

https://youtu.be/au21Kh6vqC8

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
You guys are replying to a post that is over 9 years old with information that is not relevant because the W164 is electronic and has no such manual release.

·
Registered
2005 ML320 Cdi 4matic
11 Posts
Maybe an old post but relevant non the less.
I had the exact same problem with a flat gear select control battery a few months back.
The car was parked in an underground parking space and due to absolute anger and frustration with continual faults on this car, I hitched it up to my trusty and rusty 25 year old range rover classic and dragged the piece of junk clean out of the park.
Ordered a new battery from the dealer at great expense, genuine mercedes part - made in Korea, which came as no big surprise after coming across chinese and japanese parts also fitted under the guise of "genuine parts" WTF.
These cars are mongrels, built to a price not to the high standard of quality they once were,, and as someone here previously pointed out, are good for about five years, regardless of how they are maintained.
Unfortunately, MB are not alone with this strategy and most of these high end marques are best left alone unless new, or with an absolute bulletproof no quibble warranty, which is hard to find. The alternative is to endure endless inconvenience and frustration along with considerable expense
I was very lucky to "unload" my ML last week and wouldn,t ever have another.
So long MB I,m gone !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.