Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1997 e 420
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, i'd like to know if someone could help me on how to program a key. i bought a blank one on ebay and need to make it work.
i have the one button remote key.

Bridget

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Well the truth of the matter is that you got screwed. Metaphysically!!! MB keys are only legally programed by going to the or through the dealer.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
My parts guy advised me to get a second key ASAP when I mentioned that the previous owner only gave me one.

The keys have to be ordered through the MB parts department with proper identification (Matching names on DL and Registration - lease papers etc..) and you must have the car with you when you pick up the new key. They do not do any of the programing at the dealer -- the key came ready to go --- they just check the operation and sign off on the Vin #. I believe they are sent from the Texas facility -- took a few days.

If you loose both keys you have to have the car towed to the dealer so they can sign off on it. Evidently, they had cars stolen after people ordered replacement keys and also people taking cars in divorce situations.

I was told that they can not (or will not) reprogram them -- evidently they are asked all the time. When they need them for service -- they order new ones.

Sorry to say I do not believe you can use the key you bought.

·
Registered
1997 E320 Europe
99 Posts
Some advertisement on the internet:
Latest Mercedes Key Programmer
Introduction:
Need use by Motorola MC68HC908A260 Programmer, MOTOROLA-705X32 PROGRAMMER, MOTOROLA-711 Programmer, MOTOROLA-918 Programmer,VP380.
The new Mercedes device is working with smart key (old and new) used since 1997 up to 2005 (without Key Less Go system).
Function:
You can program new key (ore used one) in car and program own key if it can not work more.
You read and program eeprom of CPU from Steering blocking module via diagnostic connector (38 pins).
Desolder and read in programming tool two CPU from electronic Ignition Control Module.
Load these eeproms to program.
Desolder NEC CPU from the key.
Solder it on the device , select the No of key and program it.
Solder all CPUs on their places and start the car.
You can program new keys without the car - only with EIS and steering blocking modules.
You can read these CPUs with help programming tool (for ex. ETL) for Motorolla CPU 68HC705-16(32)
Supported vehicles:program new ir key for Mercedes-Benz : W202、W208、W210、W220、W203、W215(old)、W215(new)、W230(old)、W230(new)、W209(HC12)、W209

Does any body try it?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
Well the truth of the matter is that you got screwed. Metaphysically!!! MB keys are only legally programed by going to the or through the dealer.
That about summarize it. The keys are programmed in single, secret location in USA and are coming ready to use from the box.

·
Registered
1997 E300D
508 Posts
I believe your '99 has a totally different key than the '97. The '97 in the US has a key with a chip in it that must be bought through the dealer. The flat key is as cheap as $25 to $30. As mentioned, you want to have more than one key as the chip in any one key can stop functioning and leave you unable to start the car. I have had a valet key stop working, and I accidentally killed another.

·
Registered
1997 E320 Europe
99 Posts
The new Mercedes device working with smart key (old and new) using in car since 1997 up to 2005 - without keylessgo system. You can program new key (or used) in car and program oun key if its not work more.

As quoted in the following LINK:

Benz smart key programmer | obd china

Does any body try it before?

·
Registered
1997 E300D
508 Posts
My '97 does not have a smart key. I would guess the poster also has the blade key with an internal chip. I doubt that it can be programed except by Mercedes, and I have not been able to convince them to reprogram one of mine that no longer works.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
The new Mercedes device working with smart key (old and new) using in car since 1997 up to 2005 - without keylessgo system. You can program new key (or used) in car and program oun key if its not work more.

As quoted in the following LINK:

Benz smart key programmer | obd china

Does any body try it before?
Hopefully it's NOT working.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,260 Posts
hi, i'd like to know if someone could help me on how to program a key. i bought a blank one on ebay and need to make it work.

Bridget
I have a 97 E420 and the process is very simple
1) put the ebay key in your pocket
2) go to your local dealer before about 5pm EST
3) give them you drivers license and vehicle registration with your name on it (names must match) so they can make copies and record the VIN
4) Give them $20 (or $200 if you want a remote and key)
5) on your way out take your ebay key and toss it in the garbage
6) come back at 9am the next morning to pick up your new official MB programmed key
7) place key in ignition and drive away.

Seriously, That's the only way in the U.S. to get a key that works. Dealer sends the info to a service depot in Texas and they program and overnight a new key or remote to the dealer with delivery by (usually) 9am if they can get the info sent in by about 5pm EST.

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,374 Posts
I'm not quite with you.......are you being serious?....

I've just bought my car (australia) with a single key and am looking into how I can get a second key.
Went to MB today and they want $400!!!.....ouch. Dont really want to be caught without one.
Missus reckons key guy in town can cut one for her 2000 A190 for $150 but not sure on the coding.....will have to check. Same sort of key though.

The only use a spare "key" without code is, is if the old key snaps and you can still use the old coder with a new cut.

The obd link seems feasible though. Major surgery (possibly risky - not sure) and you'd still have to get your car towed home from where you lost your keys to do the deed with the soldering iron. (if I read correctly)

Update - Me and the missus just went out and tried her car...MB 2000 A-Class A190 (same style of key to my 99SLK230) and didnt zap it.
She made sure it was zapped locked....the used the key to open the door and started the car. No probs.
Unless there is some sort of "burglar" timer which allows you to drive down the road 2mins and the car cuts out (heard of that in MX5's) ....this was a good result. It simply means if she looses her key, she only looses her remote central lock/unlock. Correct me if I'm wrong.
b22b

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,374 Posts
Update.....firmed up VIN#'s etc with MB dealer today....

after giving him my VIN number he said AUD$185 ex Melbourne, but he cant confirm if they will be programmed or not down there. If not - they would attract an additional $80 to program in the shop.

Sounding a bit better after I was thinking of actually buying a couple of chinese blanks and recoder yesterday. Need a key for my missus Aclass as well.

Regarding the ability to mechanically open my wifeys A-Class and start it without pressing the key's buttons - I did ask him if it would stop a couple of minutes down the road and he said - no - it should keep running. On those model cars, if you dont use the buttons - you just loose the central locking capability and imobiliser.

In the end we just gotta test it and know what to do if the car stops working.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
From what I know only keyLESS ignition has the option that will kill the engine if the correct card is no longer present.
That is common issue when the husband wants to buy a beer and takes a ride with his wife in her MB when she goes to gym. She jumps off the car with running engine and he takes the wheel. Drives 5 miles till comes to the stop at red light and the engine stops. The key-card is in wife's bag at the gym...
Anyway. The US models with flip blades had keys user programmable till 1999, than the keys become dealer programmable.
AU has different options, so you are in the mercy of dealer. Shop around since different dealers have different markups.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I have a 97 E420 and the process is very simple
1) put the ebay key in your pocket
2) go to your local dealer before about 5pm EST
3) give them you drivers license and vehicle registration with your name on it (names must match) so they can make copies and record the VIN
4) Give them $20 (or $200 if you want a remote and key)
5) on your way out take your ebay key and toss it in the garbage
6) come back at 9am the next morning to pick up your new official MB programmed key
7) place key in ignition and drive away.

Seriously, That's the only way in the U.S. to get a key that works. Dealer sends the info to a service depot in Texas and they program and overnight a new key or remote to the dealer with delivery by (usually) 9am if they can get the info sent in by about 5pm EST.
Revision 1.5
1) Leave eBay key at home.
5) Go home, list eBay key on eBay. Someone somewhere will buy it.

·
Registered
E 420, 97
97 Posts
Have you tried to go inside the car close the doors press the button three times while aiming to your rear window mirror then within 30 second put the key in your ignition and start the car. Worked for me!

·
Registered
w211 220cdi
4 Posts
Diagnostic program

Hi guys
Can any one tell me where can i download diagnostic program for my w208 200 kompressor
Thanks a lot
:surrender:

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts

Bridget
Contrary to the usual belief that keys bought from Ebay can't be programmed to your car, we have a member doing just this on a UK Merc forum...fact.

Of course this will not help most people on here since he must have access to your car to do it.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts