Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL 500
88 Posts
update 3/15/20

went back to the shop, no vacuum leak check done because I didn’t have lean codes. Was told downstream o2 sensor on bank one was weak due to being old and was told replacement would most likely solve problem.

so I ordered the sensor Bosch # 13862 and had them replace. Replaced the gas cap too with a Blau gas cap. Was told two drive cycles would reset adaptations and that would be it. Rough idle reduced but was still there

yesterday as I was about to head out engine light came on and immediately started flashing without the bad shaking typical of misfire. Stopped at autozone for code read aand of course still misfiring on bank one and o2 codes.

I got Po300, 301, 303, 304, 130, and 135. Pretty much the same codes as before. Cylinders 1 and 2 seem to like to take turns every so often to

I just don’t get it. Nearly $800 spent in like 4 months and the problem still hasn’t gone away. Every shop has let me down.

if my cat is fine and the upstream o2 is the culprit, how can that be if it’s just a few months old and the correct Oe Bosch one for its position????

The wiring supposedly is burned?? And the last shop said a milky substance came out of the connector?
Any new suggestions? More diagnosis? Or just replace the sensor? (Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten the one on the car right now from oreilleys even though part # was correct)

I’m just so disappointed right now
update 3/15/20

went back to the shop, no vacuum leak check done because I didn’t have lean codes. Was told downstream o2 sensor on bank one was weak due to being old and was told replacement would most likely solve problem.

so I ordered the sensor Bosch # 13862 and had them replace. Replaced the gas cap too with a Blau gas cap. Was told two drive cycles would reset adaptations and that would be it. Rough idle reduced but was still there

yesterday as I was about to head out engine light came on and immediately started flashing without the bad shaking typical of misfire. Stopped at autozone for code read aand of course still misfiring on bank one and o2 codes.

I got Po300, 301, 303, 304, 130, and 135. Pretty much the same codes as before. Cylinders 1 and 2 seem to like to take turns every so often to

I just don’t get it. Nearly $800 spent in like 4 months and the problem still hasn’t gone away. Every shop has let me down.

if my cat is fine and the upstream o2 is the culprit, how can that be if it’s just a few months old and the correct Oe Bosch one for its position????

The wiring supposedly is burned?? And the last shop said a milky substance came out of the connector?
Any new suggestions? More diagnosis? Or just replace the sensor? (Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten the one on the car right now from oreilleys even though part # was correct)

I’m just so disappointed right now
Time for a butcher to chime in, on cold start, put a long metal object on top of the EVAP solenoid.
It should be ticking or vibrating, it sucks fuel vapor from the tank through the charcoal canister to the intake.
It should be near the ABS booster, some have ''MOT'' on top. It works mostly at start up and stops later.
Check hoses in and out for leaks, a smoke test will not tell you if solenoid works or not.
That could be your performens problem's, no pun intended.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Time for a butcher to chime in, on cold start, put a long metal object on top of the EVAP solenoid.
It should be ticking or vibrating, it sucks fuel vapor from the tank through the charcoal canister to the intake.
It should be near the ABS booster, some have ''MOT'' on top. It works mostly at start up and stops later.
Check hoses in and out for leaks, a smoke test will not tell you if solenoid works or not.
That could be your performens problem's, no pun intended.
Lol the misfires were solved about a month ago. O2 sensor wiring had water leaking into it . Hole in pipe leaking water was patched and codes cleared. So far so good.

And photodude’s star diagnosishas found that the purge valve is working as it should. Thanks for chiming in though

·
Registered
2003 W211 E500
146 Posts
Interesting thread. I have this issue on my W211 E500 2003 model.
All left bank misfire codes.
Removal of exhaust (to check for blocked cats) did not solve the problem

Engine had to be opened and it was discovered that the camshaft chain sprocket had broken off hence bent some valves....lots of sludge in the engine too.

Top cylinder head was removed gaskets changed. Engine desludged from bottom plate and oil pump.....

Engine coupled back and now starts but rattles so loud and it refuses to accelerate when moving it doesn't respond commensurately to the accelerator pedal depression.

Eventually the engine dies off and refuses to start until it has cooled down considerably...

Help will be appreciated. I intend to disconnect the O2 sensor on b1s1 to check if there's any issue with the O2 sensors.... Although no O2 sensor codes. Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Eventually the engine dies off and refuses to start until it has cooled down considerably...
Replace Crankshaft position sensor. Bosch only.

your rattles and lack of acceleration power is something else requiring diagnosis ( hopefully the right viscosity of oil was used)

if you’re having left bank misfires, you need to only be looking at left bank o2 sensors (b2 s1, b2 s2). Check resistance at wiring coming from the car and on the sensors themselves.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,772 Posts
With all the global sourcing problems. I'd replace the engine. Remember to replace the rear main seal, and USE only Mercedes sealant, and replace the Torque Converter seal the transmission too

41 - 47 of 47 Posts