Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,005 Posts
Huh, are you the guy with the bandana? We've met.

Small world. I do keys and other electronics for ubaldo.
Yeah I'm the one that brings the donuts and gets in the way all the time. Now they got a new three rack shop over in Anaheim at Gilbert and La Palma Baldo runs that one all Mercedes, and Ubaldo does the Beemer work at Fullerton and runs over to the other when needed. Those guys are golden they keep all 3 of my SL's like new. I drive them nuts with my hate of oil odors and such:geek: Speaking of keys when are you going to crack the remote issue on the SL's:p

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,657 Posts
I thought it was Ubaldo who stayed at the RMS and Jr. would manage the other shops?

Haha, yes, I definitely remember you. I don't work for Ubaldo, he calls me in for some jobs. I think we spoke about the no key availability on the R129 and how I wasn't willing to invest thousands of dollars of equipment on an asset that disappears whereas electronic key fobs for newer MB are going to be around for the next foreseeable decades.

Unless you're willing to send me one of your cars as a guinea pig so I can try to figure out the immobilizer/key programming procedure? I may need to butcher it up a little bit.... :ROFLMAO: Or not? Maybe?

Just kidding.

But yeah, Ubaldo definitely has the experience, he acts almost exactly like my old shop foreman when I used to play the dealer technician game years ago....and my foreman was an fossilized geezer who gave no fucks and had zero tolerance for anything.

Granted, Ubaldo is much nicer and more approachable than my old guy, but....:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2001 SL500
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes Ubaldo is at RMS in Fullerton and Baldo is at the new one in Anaheim.
Just dropped my car off with ubaldo today. I’m really hoping he will be the one to give me a concrete answer in these blasted one bank misfires.
I will forever be grateful if he does

·
Registered
2001 SL500
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes Ubaldo Rivera he does all three of my SL's heavy maintenance, very honest and very reasonable even the dealer sends problem cars to him. Instead of throwing parts at it it's worth the trip there to have him diagnose it
I spend every Saturday morning there and have seen a lot of difficult issues repaired.
So I got my car back yesterday, and ubaldo said he fixed the issue (hole in pipe leaking water into the o2 sensor connector). Minor shaking is still there. Told ubaldo to sit in the car but he says it’s fine and assures me the problem is fixed. Drove a lot yesterday and no misfires no engine light. I even went to autozone for a scan and 0 codes popped up. So far I’m satisfied.

we’ll see if the engine light continues to stay off in the coming weeks

·
Registered
2001 SL500
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes Ubaldo Rivera he does all three of my SL's heavy maintenance, very honest and very reasonable even the dealer sends problem cars to him. Instead of throwing parts at it it's worth the trip there to have him diagnose it
I spend every Saturday morning there and have seen a lot of difficult issues repaired.
So I got my car back yesterday, and ubaldo said he fixed the issue (hole in pipe leaking water into the o2 sensor connector). Minor shaking is still there. Told ubaldo to sit in the car but he says it’s fine and assures me the problem is fixed. Drove a lot yesterday and no misfires no engine light. I even went to autozone for a scan and 0 codes popped up. So far I’m satisfied.

we’ll see if the engine light continues to stay off in the coming weeks

·
Registered
2001 SL500
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Are your motor mounts and trans mount new?
Yes all replaced about 5 months ago. All corteco.

The piece of trash shop that I initially went to for the check engine diagnostic claimed right side engine mount was improperly installed. My trusted Benz Indy claimed you can’t really mess up engine mounts, and the original installers said the same thing and showed me under the car that they’re in correctly.

Also the shaking is intermittent. I’ll probably replace left bank o2 sensors to see what happens since they’re original

·
Registered
M113 SL500
491 Posts
Did you ever end up checking for vacuum leaks? No one can diagnose vacuum leaks for you over the internet. Have you checked your long term and short term fuel trims? You don't have to have serious vacuum leaks for them to cause a bit of idle shakes. You can perform a smoke test yourself. I've outlined an easy how-to before on this R129 forum. Hope you like cigars.

If the leak caused the problem with the 02 sensor, it would take some time to dry out and function normally, if it ever does go back to normal. That doesn't mean you don't have other issues that can cause shakes at idle. The primary 02 sensor will fluctuate pretty rapidly between a set min and max voltage value when monitored by a scanner. If the 02 is not fluctuating normally b/w those two values, or reading slowly, damage may have been permanently done to the sensor. If you have the proper monitoring tools, you can compare the right side to left side fluctuations to see if the right side is functioning properly.

That being said, I have 3 m113 V8 engined cars. None of them have perfectly smooth idles 100% of the time. They all have new motor mounts and no vacuum leaks. This forum is replete with posts asked by M113 owners across all chassis codes why their cars are shaking at idle, many since early on in their ownership of their cars from new. Owners here have gone through it all with varying success. If you search, alot of the threads end with owners reporting that they just ended up selling the car and never resolving the issue. If some shake at idle bothers you that much, and you've exhausted all possibilities or you're not willing to go through all the possibilities, maybe it's time for something else? You've already spent a lot of time and money on this, including replacing your primary cat. Lexus maybe? Or at least invest in basic diagnostic tools. I think pretty powerful smartphone based apps and bluetooth OBD dongle can be had for about $50 -100. Without more specific diagnostic information, asking here will garner just a lot of blind guesses.

·
Registered
2001 SL500
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did you ever end up checking for vacuum leaks? No one can diagnose vacuum leaks for you over the internet. Have you checked your long term and short term fuel trims? You don't have to have serious vacuum leaks for them to cause a bit of idle shakes. You can perform a smoke test yourself. I've outlined an easy how-to before on this R129 forum. Hope you like cigars.

If the leak caused the problem with the 02 sensor, it would take some time to dry out and function normally, if it ever does go back to normal. That doesn't mean you don't have other issues that can cause shakes at idle. The primary 02 sensor will fluctuate pretty rapidly between a set min and max voltage value when monitored by a scanner. If the 02 is not fluctuating normally b/w those two values, or reading slowly, damage may have been permanently done to the sensor. If you have the proper monitoring tools, you can compare the right side to left side fluctuations to see if the right side is functioning properly.

That being said, I have 3 m113 V8 engined cars. None of them have perfectly smooth idles 100% of the time. They all have new motor mounts and no vacuum leaks. This forum is replete with posts asked by M113 owners across all chassis codes why their cars are shaking at idle, many since early on in their ownership of their cars from new. Owners here have gone through it all with varying success. If you search, alot of the threads end with owners reporting that they just ended up selling the car and never resolving the issue. If some shake at idle bothers you that much, and you've exhausted all possibilities or you're not willing to go through all the possibilities, maybe it's time for something else? You've already spent a lot of time and money on this, including replacing your primary cat. Lexus maybe? Or at least invest in basic diagnostic tools. I think pretty powerful smartphone based apps and bluetooth OBD dongle can be had for about $50 -100. Without more specific diagnostic information, asking here will garner just a lot of blind guesses.
The last shop I was at said no vacuum leak check was performed because I didn't get any fuel trim codes. I will look into having this checkup done though.

I just hope the check engine light stays off for a long time. I can deal with the little rough idle I guess

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
579 Posts
I've seen your fuel trim values (and more)… idle speed (and partial load) adaptations, Air Mass, Manifold Absolute Pressure…

You Don't Have Vacuum Leaks…

Your idle speed "shaking" was minimal when I saw the car. Unless your symptoms changed radically since that time… I suggest you stop chasing shadows and just drive and enjoy this car.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,011 Posts
Yes idle only
There is a simple test. Open your driver’s door fully, does the shaking increase noticeably? Tip of door rocking up and down? Do same for passenger door. Post a video if you wish.

When you are sat in the car, if the vibration becomes more noticeable when you open a door fully, it points to an uneven combustion in ONE cylinder. This would inform what should be checked next.

If the vibration isn’t any more noticeable it is likely that the vibration you are feeling is more benign due to a splashy uneven combustion across more than one cylinder I.e. a bank or all of the cylinders.

My point is, I would be more concerned if the eccentric weight of an open door accentuates the vibration. I am guessing from others posts that yours falls into the other category.

·
Registered
2001 SL500
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've seen your fuel trim values (and more)… idle speed (and partial load) adaptations, Air Mass, Manifold Absolute Pressure…

You Don't Have Vacuum Leaks…

Your idle speed "shaking" was minimal when I saw the car. Unless your symptoms changed radically since that time… I suggest you stop chasing shadows and just drive and enjoy this car.
You’re right. The shaking is very very minimal so I can live with it.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
32 Posts
You’re right. The shaking is very very minimal so I can live with it.
If anyone in Southern California wants perfection, try Allgerman Auto in Escondido. It's owned and ran by "Martin Christensen" <[email protected]> who also enters rallys and builds cars for rallys, including one for a Russian group in 2006, the last year I lived in La Jolla. (Now rooted in Oklahoma . . .) At the time I was using that facility I was able to walk under my car when it was on a lift, etc. 1327 Simpson Way, Escondido, CA 92029 (760) 738-4626 I still have pictures of my car underside as well as someone building up a BMW engine for race work. In addition to major rallys, Martin does a lot of desert racing just below the border. I promise you it's an adventure just to visit the place. Pictures are on the website.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1999 ML320
32 Posts
If anyone in Southern California wants perfection, try Allgerman Auto in Escondido. It's owned and ran by "Martin Christensen" <[email protected]> who also enters rallys and builds cars for rallys, including one for a Russian group in 2006, the last year I lived in La Jolla. (Now rooted in Oklahoma . . .) At the time I was using that facility I was able to walk under my car when it was on a lift, etc. 1327 Simpson Way, Escondido, CA 92029 (760) 738-4626 I still have pictures of my car underside as well as someone building up a BMW engine for race work. In addition to major rallys, Martin does a lot of desert racing just below the border. I promise you it's an adventure just to visit the place. Pictures are on the website.
That shop saved me a lot of money when I first had the -98 SL500.

I just found an old email from Martin after I was able to set up some publicity for him. Here is the letter from long ago:
===============================================

Hi Don

Thanks for your interest, I always welcome publicity so if you have anybody that would like to do a write up I will be happy to talk to them.The Engine is being installed as we speak, after that the car goes to Jimco in El Cajon to get the body and some minor details finished.

When the car is all finished Mike Julson from Jimco and I will take the car out testing, at that time you (and the reporter) could go to the desert with us, to see the car run and get some specifics if you like ? the car will be finished app 2 weeks from now.

Best Martin

Ps I will be gone from the shop until 4-18-06.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts