Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 560 SEL in Midnight Blue and have scraped the bumper and the 'skirt' beneath it in two places for a total of about 10 square inches. [:0] There's no structural damage but the blue paint has scraped away revealing the grey 'plastic' body. [:(!] Can I do a reasonable touch-up paint job myself? I don't have a sprayer (might be able to get one) --- but I thought there might be a Krylon that matches. [;)] What's your thoughts?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
The way I would tackle this is with the following options:

1) Leave as is and deal with it.
2) Have a body shop repaint/fix to make it just right
3) Get a new bumper or find one thats not damaged used and do a swap.

The cost to have something done about it would be around $300. However, its best to call around and see what sort of estimate you get. Bumper paint is different than paint used for the car's body.. keep that in mind.

I don't think Krylon spray paint is a good idea.. thats like repairing a crack in the leather of your seat with duct tape[xx(]I've seen it... and people like that shouldn't be driving w126's.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snibble: Thanks! I agree with the [xx(] for the duct tape. Just that the car cost me $2800 this last week and I vowed to become a DIYer. BTW, I had a friend in high school who got a new leather attache case and decided to cover it in electrical tape (we didn't have duct tape back then) to keep it protected.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
teoteodore - 5/5/2005 4:37 PM

Snibble: Thanks! I agree with the [xx(] for the duct tape. Just that the car cost me $2800 this last week and I vowed to become a DIYer. BTW, I had a friend in high school who got a new leather attache case and decided to cover it in electrical tape (we didn't have duct tape back then) to keep it protected.
I would call around to get an estimate. I might be wrong with my guess on price. They might be able to color match and fix it with no problem. I had some scratchs on the 300's bumper but just dealt with it.

I don't know if the dealership has BUMPER paint.. but they might sell touch-up amounts which you can try to use. I don't know how effective it is on spot 10inch^2.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snibble: I noticed you're fond of saying 'deal with it' --- that means: 'try to ignore it', 'park the car where the bumper's not visible', 'don't approach the car from that side' --- right? [:D]

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
I would see if Duplicolor or Krylon make your color in an automotive paint. Then it's a matter of sanding the offending area, applying the correct primer, sanding, applying the color, light sanding, then clear over it all, sanding and polishing.

When I had my SEC painted, it was done to Chrysler Bright Silver, not MB Bright Silver, so that I can get spray paint to fix any minor problem. Worked so far!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Snibble - 5/5/2005 4:18 PM

The way I would tackle this is with the following options:

1) Leave as is and deal with it.
2) Have a body shop repaint/fix to make it just right
3) Get a new bumper or find one thats not damaged used and do a swap.

The cost to have something done about it would be around $300. However, its best to call around and see what sort of estimate you get. Bumper paint is different than paint used for the car's body.. keep that in mind.

I don't think Krylon spray paint is a good idea.. thats like repairing a crack in the leather of your seat with duct tape[xx(]I've seen it... and people like that shouldn't be driving w126's.
I've seen alot of people who painted their 126's bumpers with regular paint along with the chassis and that paint peels off fast on the bumpers...

But I use duct tape on my bumpers. Especially in the areas that the paint just wore out. I mainly use it to keep the bumpers from scraping on the road. It's cheaper than getting new ones believe me! I use duct tape to keep side mirrors from falling off. I just spray painted the duct tape and made it look black. I also duct taped part of my rim because it had a hole the size of a quarter. (don't ask how that happened!) Of course I use duct tape on my seats, it has saved me so much money. I keep duct tape in my car so that if anything goes wrong I can fix it. Oh and one day I had to duct tape my tires because when I went off roading I accidentally ran over a two inch nail. (it was quite rusty too and I need to spray paint that duct tape black) Oh yeah I don't have a gas tank lid thing so I use duct tape. My right front headlight has a small piece of duct tape because it has a huge gaping hole there. I would have used a clear tape but the duct tape matches the wheels, gas lid cover, and the side mirrors.

PS: This was only a joke, I would never put a duct tape on my car! Although I have seen a ghetto 1983 mercedes 190 E pizza delivery car with duct tape all over the side where the gas tank lid (I forgot what it's called) is located. It almost made laugh. And I asked him what happened and he said "oh, the gas tank lid is loose, it's a common problem on these cars." so I opened my garage door and showed him my car. His jaw dropped as I closed the door and shut the garage door. (PS: The pizza was cold!!!)

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
teoteodore - 5/5/2005 1:02 PM

I have a 1990 560 SEL in Midnight Blue and have scraped the bumper and the 'skirt' beneath it in two places for a total of about 10 square inches. [:0] There's no structural damage but the blue paint has scraped away revealing the grey 'plastic' body. [:(!] Can I do a reasonable touch-up paint job myself? I don't have a sprayer (might be able to get one) --- but I thought there might be a Krylon that matches. [;)] What's your thoughts?
Paintscratch.com sells small amounts of custom mixed paints to match just about any car. I'm sure they would have the right color and maybe even the right paint type, you might want to give them a try and see if they can help. I think they want $30 for a can of spray paint. Good luck.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I've preped and painted used bumpers and to do it right is a Lot of work. A good number hours of sanding and filling to get all the little holes/scrapes/whatever smooth, then a coat of primer which I sand down again to look for high/low spots..another hour or so fixing what I find with that, then a finish coat of primer followed by paint.

But, that's just me..if the car doesn't warrant that, they I would go by your local body shop, ask them to mix up some paint to match your bumper and take it from there. Small airbrush/jam gun kits can be had for cheap and they always lay paint down nicer then a spray can.

Jonathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts