Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 S 320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a similar issue with my 99 S320, but I noticed someting that others may be overlooking or just not experiencing. When you have the headlights on all the gear selections are lit up and when you move the lever to the gear you want, that selection will become brighter than the other gears to note that is has been selected. I have found that if I switch it to either 4 or D and the the gear label does not brighten, the transmission will not shift properly. If I jiggle the shifter until it does light up (and stays lit), the Tranny starts to shift properly again. I do find that D is more problematic. I intend on pulling the shift mechanism out to see if there may be a contact point that is dirty or perhaps a way to tighten the mechanism. It is my understanding that on my model of transmision D & 4 are electronic and that leads me to believe the problem may be a contact point.
how to open up the shifter box???? it seems like there is a bad connection somewhere inside, please advice !! thank you!!!

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts
Here you go ,this should keep you busy for a while and maybe even fix the Problem .
Ciao :thumbsup:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1336098-photo-diy-center-console-trim-removal.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1247781-gear-shifter-removal.html

Some extra Pictures here :
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1203330-knowlege-base-9.html

In the Video below you need to fast forward to 5 Minutes where he starts explaining how to take the Console out .You may need to check on you Tube for Video number 2 ,as there are 8 of them .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHB-hlrEFuQ&feature=player_embedded#!

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
Here you go ,this should keep you busy for a while and maybe even fix the Problem .
Good links, but please note that the last two deals with non 722.6 boxes (<1996).

pittbenz99, yes, it seems like the S16/10 does not get the correct position
of the stick;
Transmission Range
Apart from bad contact, it could mean a bent shifter stick...

br,
syljua

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,642 Posts
Good links, but please note that the last two deals with non 722.6 boxes (<1996).

pittbenz99, yes, it seems like the S16/10 does not get the correct position
of the stick;
Transmission Range
Apart from bad contact, it could mean a bent shifter stick...

br,
syljua
Hey syljua
I only added those links for him so he can get the Trim of ,the Burlwood undamaged , i dont think that it counts what ever Gearbox he has under there as the trim on almost all W140's comes of in a same or similar way, exept the 1 Piece consoles .
Why would he open the Gearbox for an electrical light defect anyway ,its Electrical after all.
This is the 1st time i seen this Problem written here and my Guess is that since his Car is a 99 S320 ,that it must have been in the W220 Assembly Lane ,thats why the Electrical Failure ,LooL.
Ciao :thumbsup:

Ciao

·
Registered
99 S 320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot guys!! helps a ton! I got the center wood trim off , now how can I check if s 16 transmission range is bad??? and how to get it out off shifter box??? is there a way to fix it?? or just replace with the new one?? thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
thanks a lot guys!! helps a ton! I got the center wood trim off , now how can I check if s 16 transmission range is bad??? and how to get it out off shifter box??? is there a way to fix it?? or just replace with the new one?? thanks a lot!
I do not think that S16 can be purchased, so a second-hand on ebay, is my
best bet. * most Mercedes from around 1997-2000 share that shifter *

If you can remove the upper part of the shifter, (you'll have to detach the whole
shifter to access some screws/tabs on the bottom), you should be able to
have a look;

You say that the gear box shifts correct according to what light is brightest,
so your lights will then be a correct indication on what the box "sees".

br,
syljua

·
Registered
99 S 320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not think that S16 can be purchased, so a second-hand on ebay, is my
best bet. * most Mercedes from around 1997-2000 share that shifter *

If you can remove the upper part of the shifter, (you'll have to detach the whole
shifter to access some screws/tabs on the bottom), you should be able to
have a look;

You say that the gear box shifts correct according to what light is brightest,
so your lights will then be a correct indication on what the box "sees".

br,
syljua
yes , but when its in "D" it starts to blink intermittently, it got very bad since we have -20 C here now, and then tranny shifts barely/ or stays in the gear until I play the shifter back and forth, but when I have it in"D" and push the shifter to the right and hold it there by my hand the "D" light glows fine! and tranny then shifts normal ! When I switch from D to 4 position it goes a bit tight , and when in 4 position "4" light does light up until I moved it about 13mm or 1/2 inch below normal position , maybe I should check if the shifter stick if bent??? or ??? thanks a Lot syljua!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts