Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum, I just got s500 yesterday, and now I cant find a way to open the gas tank door. Can anybody please tell me how do I open it. I feel so stupid right now. :eek:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Unlike some cars, there is no separate control button for the door.

1) Unlock the driver side door. This also unlocks the gas tank door.

2) Press on the front part of the gas tank door until the rear part pops out a bit. The rest is obvious.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes... it is kind of ironic that such a sophisticated car like an MB S-Class still has a manual fuel door.

Guess German engineers figure if you cannot open your own fuel door you should not own such a fine car??!!??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes... it is kind of ironic that such a sophisticated car like an MB S-Class still has a manual fuel door.

Guess German engineers figure if you cannot open your own fuel door you should not own such a fine car??!!??
I know what you mean but have to disagree.

Coming from a Jaguar S-Type I much prefer the MB way of not having a button to flip open the filler cap door.

I must have forgotten to press that bloody button a hundred times before putting the nozzle in the tank, and had to get into the car and press the thing.

At least you only feel an idiot once in the Merc :)

Loving the S320 CDi. A lot more car than my 3.0 Jag.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I know what you mean but have to disagree.

Coming from a Jaguar S-Type I much prefer the MB way of not having a button to flip open the filler cap door.

I must have forgotten to press that bloody button a hundred times before putting the nozzle in the tank, and had to get into the car and press the thing.

At least you only feel an idiot once in the Merc :)

Loving the S320 CDi. A lot more car than my 3.0 Jag.
Well.... please feel free to disagree.... did not know that I made a point one way or another that needed to be disagreed with... LOL:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry MJD, I simply meant that having a button to open the fuel cap didn't really make life easier, but actually made it more of a pain. I didn't view that as being sophistication.

I personally believe that a sophisticated car should just do things automatically for you, in many cases without you even realising (bit like the wipers etc.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Unlike some cars, there is no separate control button for the door.

1) Unlock the driver side door. This also unlocks the gas tank door.

2) Press on the front part of the gas tank door until the rear part pops out a bit. The rest is obvious.
How about the has door in an 88 260e?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It’s been a long time, but I believe that on a W124, if the electric lock solenoid doesn’t release, there is a manual release for the filler door in the trunk. Look just under the trunk hinge, on the right hand side, near the top of the trunk compartment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts