Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a Firestone Auto Care center after work to see about a set of tires. A friend picked up a set of Bridgestone Insignias for her 300TD and recommended the shop, but when I was there and asked about a set, I was told the only brand available in that size (195/70 R14) was an in-house brand, and all other manufacturers discontinued making that size.

Never mind the computer he was on also displayed other brands available. Calling a few other Firestone shops also confirmed that yes, other manufacturers still make that size.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I guess sometimes the boss just tells them they need to push a certain tire...

It's much better to use a local mom-and-pop place I think. I've used Firestone a couple times, but I wouldn't go back. Besides, I've fallen in love with Hercules tires, and they don't sell them there.

·
Registered
1985 300td, 1983 Datsun Maxima Diesel
513 Posts
Stopped by a Firestone Auto Care center after work to see about a set of tires. A friend picked up a set of Bridgestone Insignias for her 300TD and recommended the shop, but when I was there and asked about a set, I was told the only brand available in that size (195/70 R14) was an in-house brand, and all other manufacturers discontinued making that size.

Never mind the computer he was on also displayed other brands available. Calling a few other Firestone shops also confirmed that yes, other manufacturers still make that size.
Hi
If you have a Discount Tire in your area - try them. I've been buying tires from them for years - good prices and great service. I've never had a problem they didn't fix right away and with a smile
Joseph

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
Honestly I've found the best way to get tires was to buy them from TireRack, have them shipped to me and then get them installed at the dealer.

On my wife's VW the tires were $82 each + $20 shipping for all four and the VW dealer charged $27 a wheel for mount and balance. Plus they washed the car and detailed the wheels!

On mine I paid $52 a tire + $20 shipping for all four and my local dealer charged me $32 a wheel for mount and balance. (They washed my car and the lot jockey decided to force my broken antenna back into the body to run it through the autowash, so now I have rust behind the rear driver's wheelwell... but that's another story.)

But if you get them done at the MBZ dealer you now qualify for the Roadside assistance for another 18 months since you just spent over $100 on servicing your car.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts