Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 ML320, 01 S500, 15 GL350
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that one of the components is draining excessive current. Can anyone give me direction how to measure the current? Hook an AMP meter thru the battery? Welcome any suggestions and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may be having the same problem as myself.
I am 99% sure its the battery is the fault, not holding charge.
I had that same problem a few times, and got a replacement battery under warranty on the battery.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
Here's how to measure quiescent current (also called parasitic drain) - How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain - wikiHow

You can also test the battery itself with a hydrometer or by performing a load test. Either would show a battery that had outlived its usefulness. This is a pretty good tutorial on batteries: http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html - and another one for the hydrometer test at http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa101604c.htm. There's a "poor man's load test" video here:

One additional thing to check is the charging circuit. Some "smart" battery chargers will do this for you.

If you're checking the battery on your '01 S500, you'll also want to see post #14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1302190-ive-had-post2216730.html

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you Skylaw again for these info! I have the reset procedure printed and stored in my Glove box.

Here is the background:

I recently put an IPOD/Iphone interface thru the commander on the TV button as switch. Later was told I can put IPhone Video to the screen so I jumped in to have Backup camera also installed. The shop did all the wiring and found the video box not matching to my2001, so they need to order new one (It's still in the delivery process). I took the car back and drove normal. During the holiday season, the car wasn't driven for 3 days and battery completely dead.

Since the battery is almost 6 years old, I decide to have roadside replace it ( measure the dead battery and only 3V left) with a cost of $152.

I measure the new battery after overnight and it dropped 0.15V to 12.3V.

Then I hook my Fluke multimeter follow Skylaw's direction and set at 20A range, the reading is around 5-6 Amp! With the meter hooked, the car won't be functional properly only partial of the dash light will be on. I guess the 5-6 Amp current dropped significant voltage thru the multi meter. However, I suspect the test is not reliable since a 5-6Amp current should kill the battery sooner.

I read almost all posts on this forum and lots people have battery drain issue due to the NAV disc. I had parked the car for as long as more than a month before and never had start problem. Another change is I put a new 2009 NAV CD recently, don't think it will cause the problem.

I will go to the shop 1st thing after the new year to have him check it up, and at the same time keep drive it as much as I can.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
You can have the battery checked at a Sears store, they will tell you if the battery is bad or weak. You might have a single bad cell in the battery.

·
Registered
2003 S320 w220
48 Posts
Hello idahombz. I'll share my experience as it might help.

If I connect up a digital Ammeter as per the Wiki page above my car draws 200mA quiesent current - I dont know if this is correct or not but I dont have any starting problems. You need to wait for boot (trunk) lights to go out (approx. 10 mins) as these draw 2A by themselves. If I then open and close the drivers door the car 'wakes up' and draws approx 8A - this gradually reduces in stages back down to 200mA as the various systems go back to sleep - this takes 3-4 mins.

Hope this helps - Jetstream.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, finally have the shop finished my ipod-backup camera installation. This time they use the OEM TV tuner to complete the job. All are OEM connection now and the parasitic drain drop form my original (no OEM solution) 1A to 60mA! Looks like these strange Command power sequence only take OEM stuff! Thank you guys for all your help! I may post the pictures of watching TV from iphone on my W220 screen in another post.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes Benz S500
43 Posts
Oh really why does the NAV CD have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes Benz S500
43 Posts
oh wow thank you so much. I also noticed once the car was off that sunroof switches above your head stayed on I have only noticed it happen once and also was told to reset the sunroof by sliding it back and forth a few times and its now OK. I have only owned this car for six months lov:confused:e it until something goes wrong with it.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,580 Posts
OK, finally have the shop finished my ipod-backup camera installation. This time they use the OEM TV tuner to complete the job. All are OEM connection now and the parasitic drain drop form my original (no OEM solution) 1A to 60mA! Looks like these strange Command power sequence only take OEM stuff! Thank you guys for all your help! I may post the pictures of watching TV from iphone on my W220 screen in another post.
Was it ever posted how to get the iPhone screen to show up on the command screen ? I know on the iphone 4 with the large connector they sell a cable with rca outputs for audio and video

If anyone can link to how to make this work I'd love it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts