Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem once they have replaced their leaking cylinders.

Car Year: 1997.

Background: I had Lighthouse rebuild my passenger side lock and lift, as well as, my dr. side bow extension.

The Problem: put it all back together. push the top switch and nothing happens. Checked electical connections and fuses. OK. Check resistance of microswitch, OK. checked hyd. pump, ok as the rollbar works fine. tried the reset for the windows and turing the steering wheel, nothing. Retired that 5 times in a row. No good. Scanned for errors with OBDII, none found.

On advise of Klaus at Lighthouse, locked the front locks and rear tonneau manually with the special MB tool. OK some activity now. When pushing the switch to open the top, the dr side rear bow lifts the back part of the top up a few inches but the passenger side bow does nothing. I did not touch the passenger side at all!! If I release the button, the dr. side crashes down as it has much tension.

Pushing the button to close the top does nothing. I looked at the hydraulic lines closely again especially on the dr side bow. One is like 1.5 inches longer than the other so I don't see how it could be the bottom line mount vs. where I put it in the top line hole. When closed it looks just like the passenger side, which again was not disassembled/not leaking.

SO IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS AND FIXED IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I HATE THE TWO AUTONATION MB DEALERS HERE. TWO CROOKS. INDEPENDENT IS BETTER BUT IS NOT MOTIVATED TO LOOK AT THIS WEIRD PROBLEM. THANKS AS ALWAYS. LOVE THIS FORUM.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
be sure your hydraulic line clips enter from the outside on the drivers side as that is where there is enough clearance for the bow cylinder and the switch to fit between the bow. otherwise it will all get mangled up when the clips hit the bow if they are installed from the inside.

awaiting my new main passenger. I did exchange methond with Klaus and he got out to me same day as to save time. thanks!

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
"How to install clips"

For clarification, below are pics showing how clips are to be inserted into the LH bow cylinder, so that they have enough clearance on the side once they are fastened onto the hydraulic lines... Use a mirror image for the RH bow cylinder. The clips are easy to install if you pull them into their groove with the rounded end first.

What rpribilski means by exchange method is, I sent him a rebuilt cylinder today, with refundable core charge on it, and he'll send me his cylinder as soon as he can, to get his deposit back.

If anyone needs to see a clearer picture of the instructions below, let me know and I'll post a pdf file.

-Klaus :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 S600, 1996 SL500
49 Posts
Guys, thanks for all your advise.
Thats a real good point about direction of the clips - I hadn't picked up on that. I cant recal which way round I had them fitted. I better check the ones on the other sid too.
Just to clarify, see picture, is this how I should insert the clips on the LH bow cylinder?
Klaus, also thanks very much for all your help and advise during our chat on the phone yesterday - I really appreciate that you have shipped me the microswitch so quickly - look forward to getting my hands on it - I just hope that re-installing this will fix all the other crazy behaviour I was seeing with the soft top and roll bar.

Also I noticed that when I do the window sync procedure, I put the windows down and then lock the car with the remote key from outside and keep the button on remote pressed, I was expecting the windows to close, but nothing happens - could this be another issue.
What is the correct procedure to sync the top.

Thanks again all:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
Yes, the clips are in the correct direction in your LH bow extension cylinder. You would likely know if they were wrong -- the ends would stick out past the contour of the cylinder once the clips have been slid onto the hydraulic lines.

The bow extension cylinders may scare some folks now, but it's not all that difficult with proper instructions and some patience. I'll update my online pdf instructions soon, and post an update in this thread when I'm done with that.

Gotta go,

Klaus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts