Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys! Obviously I am a noob.
I bought an FM Modulator from crutchfield.com, and I also have the antenna adapter, and the radio keys. Now my question is, how do I install it? I don't want to splice the wires, so the alternative was to connect the FM modulator's wire to an empty fuse tap in the fuse panel. I found the fuse panel, but how in the world do I connect the wire to the fuse tap?

Is there some other way to install it without splicing the wires? If not, how do I splice up the wires? I was searching, and I saw something about the harness adapter or something. How does that work?

Thanks. :bowdown:

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Sorry guys! Obviously I am a noob.
I bought an FM Modulator from crutchfield.com, and I also have the antenna adapter, and the radio keys. Now my question is, how do I install it? I don't want to splice the wires, so the alternative was to connect the FM modulator's wire to an empty fuse tap in the fuse panel. I found the fuse panel, but how in the world do I connect the wire to the fuse tap?

Is there some other way to install it without splicing the wires? If not, how do I splice up the wires? I was searching, and I saw something about the harness adapter or something. How does that work?

Thanks. :bowdown:
Here you go - basically you will remove an existing fuse, and replace it with this "adapter"...

Parts Express:Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit Fuseholder for ATO/ATC Fuses

And yes, you can use a plain old style fuse tap, but the above solution is "doing it right".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go - basically you will remove an existing fuse, and replace it with this "adapter"...

Parts Express:Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit Fuseholder for ATO/ATC Fuses

And yes, you can use a plain old style fuse tap, but the above solution is "doing it right".
Thanks! I just bought that from Kragens. I connected everything...but the fm modulator is still not getting any power. What am I doing wrong? This is the fm modulator I am using: Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator Play your iPod, satellite radio tuner, or other portable music player through any FM car stereo at Crutchfield.com

I turned on my radio and it works fine even connected to the fm modulator, but the problem is that the fm modulator isn't working. It is not getting any power. The fm modulator says that it has an "in-line 2A fuse." What does that mean? Do I have to insert a 2A fuse into that fuse adapter? I tried it without the 2A fuse and with the 2A fuse. Either way, the fm modulator does not power up. What am I doing wrong? Every attempt is a failure, and that makes me sad. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks! I just bought that from Kragens. I connected everything...but the fm modulator is still not getting any power. What am I doing wrong? This is the fm modulator I am using: Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator Play your iPod, satellite radio tuner, or other portable music player through any FM car stereo at Crutchfield.com

I turned on my radio and it works fine even connected to the fm modulator, but the problem is that the fm modulator isn't working. It is not getting any power. The fm modulator says that it has an "in-line 2A fuse." What does that mean? Do I have to insert a 2A fuse into that fuse adapter? I tried it without the 2A fuse and with the 2A fuse. Either way, the fm modulator does not power up. What am I doing wrong? Every attempt is a failure, and that makes me sad. :crybaby2:
Hmmmm - so if it was me, I'd pull out my handy multi-meter and see if you were getting voltage on your tapped connection. My advise would be to call one of your electronics savvy friends, and see if they are willing to give you a hand. It should be pretty easy to figure out for someone with electronics knowledge - literally a five minute job.

Failing having a friend available, I'd see if you can find a friendly local audio shop to take a look at it.

Take some pictures of what you have done, and of the wiring, etc, and I'll see if there's any "virtual" help I can provide. The inline fuse holder should have a fuse in it, and you should have two fuses in the fuse tap if you ended up with the one I suggested.

Oh, and update our profile on the site with your location and the type of car you have. You may find someone local who can help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmmm - so if it was me, I'd pull out my handy multi-meter and see if you were getting voltage on your tapped connection. My advise would be to call one of your electronics savvy friends, and see if they are willing to give you a hand. It should be pretty easy to figure out for someone with electronics knowledge - literally a five minute job.

Failing having a friend available, I'd see if you can find a friendly local audio shop to take a look at it.

Take some pictures of what you have done, and of the wiring, etc, and I'll see if there's any "virtual" help I can provide. The inline fuse holder should have a fuse in it, and you should have two fuses in the fuse tap if you ended up with the one I suggested.

Oh, and update our profile on the site with your location and the type of car you have. You may find someone local who can help.
Unfortunately, none of my friends know anything about this stuff. Only one of my cousins know this stuff, but he is too busy to help me. I can't get a hold of me. I took my multi-meter thingie...now how do I use it? Lol...Black goes to ground wire, red goes to..?? =\ So sorry I am a burden! I'm better at computer stuff...I thought this would be easy. I need to accomplish this task so I can sound smarter haha.
I checked the inline fuse, there is a fuse in there and it looks fine. I bought the Add a Circuit thingie and I have two fuses in there. I have the original fuse that I took out, and a 2Amp fuse that I put in. Am I supposed to put the 2amp fuse of a higher amp fuse? I have a 3amp, 5amp, 7.5amp, and a 10amp fuse. If I add in a higher amp fuse, will it work?

That is the ground wire, I put it in between the screw and the metal that is right behind the picture there.

This is the soldering joint where my mom soldered the 12V wire from the fm modulator to the wire on the add a circuit thingie.

This is the 2amp inline fuse.

The add a circuit thingie with two fuses, the original and the 2amp fuse.

The switch...is it supposed to light up? lol..I feel so clueless right now.. I really appreciate you helping me right now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Do you think using one of those metal fuse taps is easier? =\
:) No, it won't be any easier! You are actually not doing to bad, and I wish my mom could solder. :) You actually should be pretty close to getting this working based on your pictures.

One assumption here - some fuses are switched, which means you don't get power unless the car is "on". I'm assuming you've tried it with the car running?

Ok - so one of the common problems is getting a good ground - paint is not conductive. Try removing the bolt you connected your ground wire behind, and scraping some of the paint behind the head off, and re-connect the ground wire.

If that does not get you going, I'd pop into the car, drive over to the local Radio Shack, and grab the cheapest multi-meter that they have. You can probably even convince the person there to give you a quick lesson on how to use it - specifically how to measure DC voltage. Get him to show you how to set it to test a 12V DC supply. (see if he'll let you try it on a 9vdc battery).

With your tester in hand, and set to measure 12VDC, twist open the white inline fuse holder. Loosen the screw you have the ground connected to.

You will want to test from the end that's connected to the tap - use the red end to touch the metal piece in the white fuse holder, and touch the black to the screw where you grounded things. You should get something over 12vdc. If you don't then you need to move further up the line - remove the tape, test the solder joint. If nothing there, check at the fuse tap.

In all seriousness, though - I'd probably go find a local TV repair shop, or a audio shop, and see if you can get one of the guys there to help you out for a beer....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) No, it won't be any easier! You are actually not doing to bad, and I wish my mom could solder. :) You actually should be pretty close to getting this working based on your pictures.

One assumption here - some fuses are switched, which means you don't get power unless the car is "on". I'm assuming you've tried it with the car running?

Ok - so one of the common problems is getting a good ground - paint is not conductive. Try removing the bolt you connected your ground wire behind, and scraping some of the paint behind the head off, and re-connect the ground wire.

If that does not get you going, I'd pop into the car, drive over to the local Radio Shack, and grab the cheapest multi-meter that they have. You can probably even convince the person there to give you a quick lesson on how to use it - specifically how to measure DC voltage. Get him to show you how to set it to test a 12V DC supply. (see if he'll let you try it on a 9vdc battery).

With your tester in hand, and set to measure 12VDC, twist open the white inline fuse holder. Loosen the screw you have the ground connected to.

You will want to test from the end that's connected to the tap - use the red end to touch the metal piece in the white fuse holder, and touch the black to the screw where you grounded things. You should get something over 12vdc. If you don't then you need to move further up the line - remove the tape, test the solder joint. If nothing there, check at the fuse tap.

In all seriousness, though - I'd probably go find a local TV repair shop, or a audio shop, and see if you can get one of the guys there to help you out for a beer....
Lol my mom is a computer engineer, so I made her do the soldering since she does that like everyday. I'm majoring in computer engineering, and it looks like I'm lucky I didn't go for electrical engineering haha. I have a bunch of those multi-meter things around. My mom uses them all the time, but she has never worked on a car before haha. I will try to measure the voltage too. If I never reply back...I probably blew up my car and myself.
Yes I do turn my car on all the way and test the fm modulator. I hope it really is the ground wire thing. I will try scraping off the paint when I wake up tomorrow morning (it's too dark now =[, and also I'm afraid of the dark =P). If this isn't going to work I think I'll give up and go to a local audio shop and have them do it. I just really wanted to install something myself on my car for the first time and show my cousin that I can do something. (I'm a girl, and every time I ask him for help, even a little thing, he makes it sound like girls can't do anything and that he is the only capable man around.) I will let you know tomorrow what happens! Thanks!:bowdown:

·
Registered
451 Posts
LoL - well, at least you are giving it a try! Sounds like you need to convince your mom to give you a hand - she should be able to figure it out. What you are trying to do is not that complicated, and worse case is you blow a fuse or two. Get her to help test your power (which looks good), and the ground -

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LoL - well, at least you are giving it a try! Sounds like you need to convince your mom to give you a hand - she should be able to figure it out. What you are trying to do is not that complicated, and worse case is you blow a fuse or two. Get her to help test your power (which looks good), and the ground -
Hey!!! It works!! I was so stupid. The problem was that I connected to the license plate light fuse, so I had to turn on the lights to give it power. I feel so stupid!! We ate dinner at my cousin's house today, so I asked him for help since I was becoming desperate. Now I understand what people were saying on forums when they say to connect it to something that is always on. I was thinking...isn't everything on when the engine is on? Lol...I checked all the fuses and they are all lights that I have to turn on, so I guess I will have to turn on my lights when I listen to my mp3 player. Oh well, sounds cool. I can hide the switch and when people ride with me, they'll be like there's a switch on the car to turn on the mp3 player lol.
Anyway!! THank you SOOOO MUCh for your help. Not many people stop and help noobs like me =[ especially on such easy stuff like this haha. I really REALLY appreciate your kindness. I wish you well. Thanks :D

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
23 Posts
well how does it sound when compared to the wireless versions of fm modulators that you can buy. Is the sound improvement worth the effort?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well how does it sound when compared to the wireless versions of fm modulators that you can buy. Is the sound improvement worth the effort?
I think the sound sounds CRISP CLEAR! It sounds great! I am so happy it's finally working. I used 88.3...and around my house, it gets staticy because probably the radio station is strong there, so I changed it to the other setting 85.7 or something like that I don't remember right now, and there is no static at all. It's perfect!
Compared to those wireless ones, sometimes I think the sound sounds kind of mono and not stereo. Its clear sometimes, but sometimes not. I don't remember the brand of the one I tried, but I rather used a wired fm modulator than the wireless one because I can't stand low quality sound.

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2007 GL450
60 Posts
Has anyone tried the Kensington FM modulator with the "tunable" frequencies? I live in the New York City area where the FM dial is fairly crowded.

Thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Has anyone tried the Kensington FM modulator with the "tunable" frequencies? I live in the New York City area where the FM dial is fairly crowded.

Thanks.
Not sure which Kensington I tried, but I went through 4 or 5 (all the local shops had) here in London, and like NYC, the FM band is just too saturated.

I ended up going with the DICE iPod/AUX fiber interface that replaces the CD changer. This is not a "cheap" solution, but the sound quality is as good as a CD..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts