Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised and disappointed when I removed the battery cover and saw that the squirrel cage blower for the passenger compartment heat and A/C does not have a replaceable filter in front of it. (The battery cover is located at the rear of the engine compartment, under the right-side air inlet grill. You can easily remove the large black plastic battery cover by turning the 3 hold-down latches and lifting out the cover.)

Without a filter ahead of the blower, debris such as leaves and straw can enter the blower and the difficult-to-replace micro filter (called the "combination filter, I believe) in the dash will become clogged sooner than necessary. This is particularly of concern here in the dry southwest USA where dry dusty air is so common.

I tried to adapt several alternative types of filters to fit into the space behind the battery to cover the opening which is about 2 3/4 inches high by 8 inches wide. I found that a FRAM CA5058 was thin enough to fit behind the battery when I trimmed it to 3 1/8 inches high. However with the blower on full speed, the rubber “frame� of the FRAM filter was not strong enough to prevent the filter from collapsing somewhat into the opening and allowing air to bypass the filter. I may try to strengthen the frame with a wire or other metal insert.

The best solution I found to cover the opening was to simply trim a 10 inch wide furnace filter to 4 1/2 inches. As shown in the photo, I put a 3/4 inch notch in the filter to accommodate the battery hold-down bracket. I actually used a 10 in. x 20 in. filter from ACE Hardware and made a filter from each end. The filter has a cardboard frame and a metal mesh in the filter material to provide strength and stiffness. Cost was about $3.50.

There was no noticeable reduction in air flow with this filter in place. I’ll expect to replace it several times a year.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I wonder what would happen if the battery 'suddently' decided to go boom, and spilt all the acid into that vent...

...and then into your face while you were blissfully driving down the highway doing 120.

hmmm [B)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
Shinigami,

You are too funny, I worry about the corrosive fumes and inhaling them! What an odd place to locate the air intake!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snowball - 3/21/2005 7:16 AM

That "MB forgot"? Did they intend to install a filter? Did you ask your dealer about this?
There is no provison for a filter in the SLK's design, at least not in mine -- no bracket or slots to hold one. The SLK designers left it out -- looks like a cost-savings measure to me. It's OK not to have such a filter, but in my opinion, it would be nice to have for a variety of reasons.

I'm curious if larger MB models have such a filter. My 7-series BMW has 2 such filters mounted in the underside of the hood which can easily be replaced by the owner. It also has a micro filter inside under the dash which is used in recirculation mode.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SergioinMiami - 3/21/2005 10:24 AM

You are too funny, I worry about the corrosive fumes and inhaling them! What an odd place to locate the air intake!
Thankfully, the battery is a vented one with a tube that takes hydrogen gas and acid fumes somewhere under the car. So at least under normal operation, fumes shouldn't enter the cabin.

When it comes time to replace the battery, it will be important to get one that is also vented. I believe that a Gates Optima that is totally sealed would also be OK. (Vented batteries are required on many BMWs where batteries are mounted in the trunk for better weight distribution.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts