Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference between the early/late serial# choice of distibutor caps for a 1976 450SLC? The selection is based on engine serial number and mine appears to have a factory replacement block (no serial number.) At least, I can't find anything stamped on the L/R side of the engine block.<br> <br> The electrodes in my dist. cap are wearing at the very bottom edge of the metal. That makes me suspect that the correct cap will have longer contacts or sit a bit lower on the distributor assembly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is ONE BOSCH CAP THAT FITS YOUR CAR -- no confusion about it...1976 was the first year for CIS injection and thus the first year for the later distributer cap. 1975 was the last year for EFI injection and the earlier cap.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which part number is correct?

Ron,<br> <br> Your web site lists part#03120 from 1974 on for the 450SLC. A dealer and several other sites show Mercedes/Bosch part numbers 0.290.004.500 or 0.290.004.505. What brand of distributor caps does your company sell (it doesn't say) and which Mercedes part number is the equivalant? Your price is good. Anything like this is a 'special order' in our community. If it wasn't a 5 hour drive to the dealer I would solve the whole question by matching it up and paying their price.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Which part number is correct?

The brand is Bosch (Bosch has 2 different numbering systems -- we are using the 5-digit rather than the 10-digit format), and the Mercedes number is 000 158 34 02. We have the cap in stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts