Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Again I've learn so much from this great site. I am going to remove my telephone system from my 1992 500 SL. Can anyone tell me the correct proceedure as the base unit in the dash seems to be the most difficult. Thanks......
Carl

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
carltwo said:
Hi everyone, Again I've learn so much from this great site. I am going to remove my telephone system from my 1992 500 SL. Can anyone tell me the correct proceedure as the base unit in the dash seems to be the most difficult. Thanks......
Carl
I don't know if the 92 phone was similar to the 97 but I found instructions on this site as to how to remove it. On mine you have to pop the the unit out with the radio tools (or a small screwdriver in my case since I didn't have the tools at that time). It's pretty easy to pop this part out and expose the metal bracket with two screws...remove the screws. I pushed the wiring back into dash.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lincoln,
Thanks for the info. I believe a see 2 small quarter inch slits above the base unit which where most likely radio keys could fit, however the dashboard door seems to be in the way as the radio keys would have to be flexible to make a 90 degree bend. Any recall or do I have to remove the door.
Thanks again,
Carl

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
carltwo said:
Hi Lincoln,
Thanks for the info. I believe a see 2 small quarter inch slits above the base unit which where most likely radio keys could fit, however the dashboard door seems to be in the way as the radio keys would have to be flexible to make a 90 degree bend. Any recall or do I have to remove the door.
Thanks again,
Carl
I didn't have to remove the door to remove the phone but I think my slots where on the sides. I can take a look at mine when I get home since the unit is sitting on a shelf in my garage.

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
lincoln said:
I didn't have to remove the door to remove the phone but I think my slots where on the sides. I can take a look at mine when I get home since the unit is sitting on a shelf in my garage.
This might help, mine were on top as you described...from the front edge of the tool cutout to first contact with the "ramp" of the release mechanism is almost exactly 1/2" when measured with a large tape measure that was really not the right tool for the job :) By the looks of my tool marks, I'd say I really wanted it out but a wider less sharp tool like the radio tools would have been better then the jewelers screwdrivers I used. It does not take much pressure to get it release from the bracket once you get the tool far enough in (just over 1/2"). It's snug in the bracket so you have to work at sliding it straight out.

Your compartment should open this much...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts