Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about having a remote starter installed in my wife's 94 C280.

Each time we get in the car we have to turn the heater on. It doesn't matter where we had it set the last time we got out of the car. Is there a way to set the heater so it will come on automatically when the car is started remotely?

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
In my 97 C280 my heater comes on in the exact place it was set when the car was turned off. So if the heater was on full when the car was turned off, it resumes that setting.

If yours doesnt Im sure the Auto setting wont help you.

But, now I dont know what ANY of these settings do perhaps its in your manual, but if you hold down the REST button long enough (both of them if you have 2) it will unlock some sort of setting config that Iv only seen explained in different languages. So if you can find in your manual where it talks about this then thats probably it.

Youll know you have tapped inot the settings when you hold the REST down long enough some falshing numbers and shiz will show up, no idea what they mean though.

If none of the settings work or are for that at all, then my guess would be that the control unit has a constant 12v wire (like the radio) so its always receiving electricity even when the car is off (like the radio) so that it keeps memory of its last setting. If for some reason that wire has shorted out, was never there in the first place, or has been disconnected then that might be your problem. We all know the germans suck at wiring so....

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
In my 97 C280 my heater comes on in the exact place it was set when the car was turned off. So if the heater was on full when the car was turned off, it resumes that setting.

If yours doesnt Im sure the Auto setting wont help you.

But, now I dont know what ANY of these settings do perhaps its in your manual, but if you hold down the REST button long enough (both of them if you have 2) it will unlock some sort of setting config that Iv only seen explained in different languages. So if you can find in your manual where it talks about this then thats probably it.

Youll know you have tapped inot the settings when you hold the REST down long enough some falshing numbers and shiz will show up, no idea what they mean though.

If none of the settings work or are for that at all, then my guess would be that the control unit has a constant 12v wire (like the radio) so its always receiving electricity even when the car is off (like the radio) so that it keeps memory of its last setting. If for some reason that wire has shorted out, was never there in the first place, or has been disconnected then that might be your problem. We all know the germans suck at wiring so....
He's got the old style HVAC controls, I don't think the REST button will bring up any of the other functions.

Here's a question, when you leave the car with the HVAC controls set, when you start the car with the key do they remain where you left them?

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
He's got the old style HVAC controls, I don't think the REST button will bring up any of the other functions.

Here's a question, when you leave the car with the HVAC controls set, when you start the car with the key do they remain where you left them?
Are you asking me or him? I dont know what HVAC means. But like I said, all my settings return to where they were before when I start my car.

And I dont mean to thread jack, but rather than start a new one:

I was wondering if you or anyone knew what the numbers mean when you hold down the REST button? Iv read that it has a DTC and will display error codes and that I might be able to figure out why my AC doesnt work by looking at this. Iv had my AC recharged and inspected, they said they couldnt find any leaks and if there was one is was too small to really matter. But then after that 2 weeks later it stopped working again. I doubt its leaking THAT BAD if they couldnt find it. My compressor doesnt even come on.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Are you asking me or him? I dont know what HVAC means. But like I said, all my settings return to where they were before when I start my car.

And I dont mean to thread jack, but rather than start a new one:

I was wondering if you or anyone knew what the numbers mean when you hold down the REST button? Iv read that it has a DTC and will display error codes and that I might be able to figure out why my AC doesnt work by looking at this. Iv had my AC recharged and inspected, they said they couldnt find any leaks and if there was one is was too small to really matter. But then after that 2 weeks later it stopped working again. I doubt its leaking THAT BAD if they couldnt find it. My compressor doesnt even come on.
HVAC = Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning

Search = http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1387534-hold-down-rest-button.html

Shows how to access the climate control diagnostic menu with the old style HVAC controls. REST + Defrost and some other trickery.

Asking 94 Octane about what happens when the car is started with the key.

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts

Search = http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1387534-hold-down-rest-button.html

Shows how to access the climate control diagnostic menu with the old style HVAC controls. REST + Defrost and some other trickery.

I guess I should read. I missed the "remotely" part :D . Id pressume thats the problem. Maybe they didnt have remote start for them in 94 so the car wasnt designed to use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

When the car is started with the key the HVAC is turned off nomatter where I left it set when the car was last turned off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts