Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300TD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new to this forum and a new owner of a 1984 300 TD. I'm handy but have limited experience working on cars. Meaning, I know how to use tools and generally how things work but need guidance and hopefully pictures. The car runs fine as far as I can tell but after a couple of days I heard this awful scraping noise which turned out to be the exhaust dragging on the ground. The entire exhaust pipe from the transmission area to the tail pipe was hanging down. I could see that it was previously held up by wire coat hangers near the tail pipe. I hooked these up again and drive home ok but I need a permanent and proper fix. Researching I've seen exhaust mounting kits which I assume is what I need. My main problem is that I don't see any of this on the car so I have no idea exactly where to bolt/attach these to the car and exhaust pipe.

How do I do this? Any reference pictures? Please explain as you would to a student. No answer is too simple. Thanks.

Don
Los Angeles

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
My 300TD takes 4 of the hangers. Two just before the resonator and two after.

PS: The resonator is the muffler looking thing by the tail pipe.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Hmm my TD's are different then 1 before one after resonator two before and two after muffler
I should clarify. My 1981 300TD has a total of 4 exhaust mount/hanger points; all of which are in the drivers side rear corner. There are two mounting points attached to the exhaust pipe just inches before the resonator and two after. The exhaust is only supported by those 4 points at the rear and a joint between the turbo down pipe and the rest of the system at the front. (under the passenger seat)

I had to get new hangers a few months ago and got the O-shaped "donut" hangers as opposed to the original oval ones. They work perfectly however, I would suggest using either shaped hangers as opposed to a universal hanger kit. I believe hangers are the most functional for the size, looks and complexity.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The round hangers do not hold up that long. I used the "rectangle" shaped ones, and they seem to be holding better. There are also reinforced versions that are more difficult to install, but definitely worth it if the vehicle is constantly exposed to rough roads.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
I use 8-shaped rubbers on mine. They are considerable harder to come by, but they are shorter and tuck the exhaust closer to the mounts and stops, reducing the allowable movement, adding damping and just generally lasting longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts