Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

761 - 779 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but the info has been very helpful.

I have a 2005 S55 that appears to be pre-wired for telephone. I am installing an aftermarket sound system and would like to utilize the microphone array in the rear view mirror as the microphone for my aftermarket head unit. As I read the phone bulletins that were linked in this thread, it appears that the Mic array connector is available in the trunk of my car. However , from the photos in the bulletin, the connector have more wires than I anticipated. Anyone have any insight on how to best tap into the mic array? If not, at least a description of each of the wires in the bundle?

Thank you!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #763 (Edited)
The thread is indeed alive (but most of what folks need is in the first seven posts). Unfortunately, I have nothing beyond what is shown in the phone bulletins to describe the microphone connectors. The connectors are shown at figures 16 and 17 of the bulletin for your 2005 S-Class.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So had a question for a 2004 S-class, I cant find a puck with tail, are there any other options for Bluetooth for the NGT1 systems ?

Thanks

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
There are no other options I am aware of that would integrate with your head unit and steering wheel controls, other than a complete 3rd party HU replacement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Caller's voice goes silent, comes back clear, goes silent...

Has anyone had the issue in which connectivity, addresses, call quality, etc. are all good, EXCEPT the caller's voice is intermittent?

Specifically, I can place or receive calls by any method in the vehicle (MY 2010, Bluetooth on COMAND), the other party hears me loud and clear, and I hear THEM loud and clear...but then I can't hear the caller at all for five seconds, 20 seconds or a minute or more if I haven't hung up. The duration of each "caller silence" is random. They hear me throughout that time, there is no crackle or garbling; the line just goes silent until I hear them again.

I've found nothing on this. I have tried various other parties, varying locations, voip (BBM calls), and no matter what, the voice of the other party goes from perfect to zero and back to perfect and back to zero incessantly. This essentially renders using the phone with the car's COMAND system impossible.

Does anyone have a solution?

Incidentally, I cannot play music from my phone (using Android Google Play Music) either. I assume this is unrelated and requires hard wiring.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
I do not know what is causing the intermittent voice issue; sorry.

You are correct that you cannot use Android Play or Apple CarPlay on your system. The solution is indeed wired, often by use of the Mercedes Multimedia Interface.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks. I went ahead and added a 3.5mm cable from the glove box. It doesn't allow changing songs from the steering wheel, so I may just forget that and download music onto the onboard 4GB drive.

Meanwhile, am I the ONLY one experiencing this issue where the other party's voice turns on and off during a phone call? I'm using a Google Pixel XL with Canada's largest carrier (rhymes with Hell), on a 2010 COMAND. I need a solution, as there is simply no way to have a proper phone conversation in the car like this, and I am in a zero-tolerance (don't look/don't touch) jurisdiction for phone use in the car. Where can I turn?

·
Registered
1 Posts
EMBWagon. I have a 2012 GL450. I am having the exact issue you are having. I have tried different phones and still have the issue.
Does anyone know if this can be addressed with a software update or if it's a component of the Bluetooth system that needs to diagnosed?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
125 Posts
EMBWagon. I have a 2012 GL450. I am having the exact issue you are having. I have tried different phones and still have the issue.
Does anyone know if this can be addressed with a software update or if it's a component of the Bluetooth system that needs to diagnosed?

Thanks all!
All right, this has been a frustrating bag of snakes, but I think I've finally solved it. I have done the following so far:

-Add phone to car, remove it, add it again (no change)
-Delete 100s of contacts in order to free up space on car hard drive (possibly a small improvement)
-Visit cell provider, they blame Mercedes
-Benzworld user mentions an issue with Pixel phones; Android thread recommends deleting cache from EVERY APP one by one (noticeable improvement!...but still losing contact with callers).
-Cell carrier says visit MB dealer for 2 minute software reset. Dealer says it's 3-4 hours...and they've never heard of said problem. Fail.
Then...
-Return to cell carrier, they run diagnostics on my phone and DELETE Bluetooth from phone while I delete phone from car again. SUCCESS!

So, your best practice is to follow all the steps, but the cell carrier deleting and re-adding BT from my phone seems to have been the key. In last 24 hours, I've had no problem whatsoever. Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Add Bluetooth Dongle to glovebox & remove 3.5mm cable?

There are lots of 3.5 mm Bluetooth "dongle" devices featured online, touting that you can convert your TV or device to run Bluetooth headphones and speakers. As in, instead of using wired headphones to your TV or home stereo, you plug a Bluetooth dongle into the headphone jack of said TV or stereo, and you are now able to run Bluetooth headphones where it wasn't previously possible.

This got me thinking. I gave up connecting my phone to a 3.5mm cable connected to the outlet in the glovebox. It works, but it's clunky, messy, and a hassle. However, what if I hooked up a dongle to that glovebox outlet instead? Would that allow wireless connection to Google Play Music on my phone, including track selection etc. from the steering wheel? It makes sense to me that it would work, but I wonder if the COMAND system would fight with two different Bluetooth access points and defeat the process.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I could be the guinea pig, but surely somebody has tried this. Please let us know!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #773 (Edited)
Pretty much with most of the Bluetooth dongle devices you can play your music, but must make selections on your phone. You also need separate equipment for telephony.

However, with the death of the nav updates for the NTG 3.0 and 3.5 systems in the S-Class and CL, I started looking at other alternatives. There are several ways to get smart phone data displayed on your COMAND screen. That can include the maps, including those with turn-by-turn instructions, often used in iPhones, Android phones, and iPads. It can also include running other apps, in addition to maps. From my writeup elsewhere -

One solution was presented by member hilarushi at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/2999305-mirroring-iphone-android-phones-comand.html - it is a wireless solution using the phone as a wi-fi hot spot transmitting to a wi-fi rebroadcaster (such as Anycast) with an HDMI output that in turns feeds into a device that converts the HDMI output to analog RCA output (https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias=aps&tag=youcanic-20&rh=n:15684181&field-keywords=HDMI2AV+Converter), in turn feeding into the MMI aux inputs that can be selected and displayed on the COMAND screen. One would have to use that somewhat balky setup with a Video In Motion device (I would recommend the one by NAVIKS, having used one for a brief time). The setup can be used with either iPhone or Android.

A second method is wired; using an Apple Lightning to HDMI output cable (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=ab99a1982b845e72eabfed9bbc128bdb646b46bb4a5f4eacb044fdf55d0b57b45e92f2832d9c7f53204b012a4b4b405a8daab250a81ff86bcf72e675faafbf38b8257455399e85eef67cadc2c02fbd989c4e20d6a519f778df5c5f5782896ea6), one that then connects via an HDMI cabe to the same HDMI-to-analog device used in the wi-fi connection above. Selection of the RCA video is again made on the "Video" menu of COMAND. I do not know if iPhones having 30-pin output will work as well, but there are a number of HDMI adapters for various Apple devices. I have not explored similar cables for Android.

A third method is to use a video interface such as that by NAVIKS - https://naviks.com/i-24075303-2010-2013-mercedes-benz-s-class-w221-hdmi-video-integration-interface.html. It is also used together with an iPhone HDMI interface, and North American cars require a Video In Motion bypass device as well (https://naviks.com/i-21933022-2010-2013-mercedes-benz-s-class-w221-video-in-motionbypass.html). All together, including additional cables, etc., your'e looking at nearly $650 for a DIY installation.

All of those methods transmit audio together with the smart phone map display, so you can get turn-by-turn instructions. None of the methods offers nav data on the multifunction display - only on the COMAND screen. The first two methods involve a bundle of unsightly wires that would need to be hidden, and require a power source. Frankly, I would only use such a setup if I were traveling in an area I am totally unfamiliar with, and I'd be tempted to do it just using an iPad instead of using all that stuff.

There is also a fourth method, which actually involves replacing the OE COMAND monitor. It involves a replacement unit (the monitor, in any case) for COMAND 3.0 and 3.5 that offers Android compatibility, but as yet it does not say it offers Apple CarPlay (though because it turns your monitor into a wi-fi hotspot, it probably does). https://www.sardincar.com/mercedes-benz-s-class-w221-10-25-android-gps-navigation-system-multimedia-player/.There is much more at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/710915-w221-android-touchscreen.html (you'll have to sort through some snarky posts - sorry) - but this site says its unit offers both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility (via a 4G hotspot). I have no experience at all with this system, and the first website (at the time of this post) does not provide pricing; the second indicates about $675. I do not know if this unit is for the CL. I also do not have a website that allows ordering; MBWorld member Chris The Swede, who participated in the referenced links, is apparently somehow connected to sales, but must not say so outside of PM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, Skylaw - thanks for all your work on this!

I think I would glue a tablet to my COMAND screen before I would ever resort to those extremes (because I am not skilled enough to get it right), but surely there will ultimately be simpler ways to do it. For now, I'll leave things as is, keeping my eye out for a throw-away deal on a BT dongle. I'm keen to hear of your or others' experience with this, but I don't want to deter from OEM with my inept fingers...yet.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
So basically what I'm getting out of this, is if I want to add BT Phone to my car I need:

1. Bluetooth module that goes in the trunk.
2. UHI/MHI Connector for center console
3. BT Phone puck to plug into said connector

That's it?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #776 (Edited)
If you are asking about your 1999 W210, no. Please note, the first line of the first post stated which model years are addressed in this thread, and '99 is not one of them.

The link to the installation guide for that car is at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxI8EEbm3t1TSFFCSFgza2t6STQ/edit - you may have to OK opening it, because it is from a web archive; the W210 document is last in the series of documents in that link.

The system to which it applies is for a wired handset, and the handset is one that was sold only by Mercedes. You would be installing an antique, if you could even locate parts; and it may operate only in the analog bands no longer in use in the US.

The components you cite are not likely to work in a '99 W210 at all. You would be far better off going 3rd party for Bluetooth. The simplest way to do it is to replace your head unit with one having that capability.

UPDATE: In addition to wallyp's suggestion below, there is this, from the Primer on Audio Systems in our stickies: For cars having a cassette deck, see the link in post 1, https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1868305-ion-audio-introduces-bluetooth-cassette-adapter.html for a cassette that promises Bluetooth music streaming and telephony. More at http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/cassette-adapter-bluetooth - ION says it is available for about $30, and, Bradm says a similar item is now available from Radio Shack for $49.95.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It's not a perfect answer, but the cheapest, easiest way to get phone service and music is to spend $20-30 on an adapter that links to your cell phone via Bluetooth, and transmits to the car on FM radio.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just purchased a 2005 S500 4matic to replace my 2004 S500 that died of old age and high mileage. I used this forum many times in the past with great results. I was lucky with the 04 and hooked up my phone quickly with the inexpensive dongle, unfortunately the 05 seems not to have been ordered with the phone option. After reading and downloading the bulletin i think i need the vehicle core kit and the vehicle completer kit, but there no longer available.

I would like to keep the stock radio and nav unit but really need the phone to work like my older car did. Do I need to search the junkyards or is there an easier way?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
Post 1 in this thread offered some sources of the equipment you need; I do not know if they are still active. Other than that, it would be breaker yards.

761 - 779 of 779 Posts
About this Discussion
778 Replies
270 Participants
Skylaw
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing