Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

241 - 260 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cool. BTW, I reseated the puck today and that fixed the immediate problem. I read a post that mentioned using rubberbands to hold it in tightly but just rebending the spring tab seems to have sone the trick. i'll still pursue the Smoothtalker cradle to gain both the charge function and take advantage of the antenna hookup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 E63

Hi Skylaw,
Great thread and truely appreciate your assistance.

I have a 2008 E63 w/MHI BT Interface Module.

Phone is a Motorla Q, Software Q2_BP_C06.07.03P

The Wireless4MB site indicates that this set-up should work.

I can dial out and connect, but they cannot hear me speak. In addition, the Voice Command system does not work.

I have also gone into the Command Consle and pulled up the Service Menu and the VC soft key does not appear....

Checked the Mic and the mute...Mic is on, Mute is off....

Really seems like something is turned off and other than my brain, I have no idea as to what it could be.

Regards,

Slowpoke

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Poke,

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer, except for what you already know: Something is wrong somewhere (and it may not be you).

I assume your car was ordered with voice control; if so, I would complain to the dealer, since you're under warranty, and let him wrestle with the whole problem.

But it's an interesting symptom, and we'd love to learn the solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Skylaw,

Do you know what happens if I push the factory "Reset" soft key on the Comman Console Service menu?

Regards,

Slowpoke

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I have a simple question and forgive me if it was answered before, When I start my car (E350 2008), if the Cell phone is in the car or in my pocket, it pair and work perfectly, however, if I started the car and later I get my cell inside the car, it does not pair unless I stop and start the engine (which is totally frustrating).
I also tried many buttons to re-pair or to re-activate the phone, but no use, it said phone is off (in the MB menu) although in the Cell phone it said paired with MB speakers!
Any idea?
Thanks.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
Thanks Skylaw,

Do you know what happens if I push the factory "Reset" soft key on the Comman Console Service menu?

Regards,

Slowpoke
I don't know what happens in an '08. In my '05, it resets COMAND to original factory settings and deletes all address book entries, SMS messages, and nav destinations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skylaw,

Forgive me in advance for asking a question that you have probably answered more than once but I am looking to upgrade a 2006 S500 4-matic that does not have a handset cradle but the car is pre-wired. What parts are necessary to get the car up and running via bluetooth? Do I just need to order the cradle and the bluetooth puck? Also is this something that you have to do yourself or will dealerships be willing to install these parts and disconnect the teleaid?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Wolv1414

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
The parts you need and the locations to install them are in the phone bulletins for the 2005 S-Class - http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/phone_bulletins.htm. The components are the same, since you already have the prewiring. Post #5 above provides more. You will need an MHI controller module and bracket; an MHI contact plate assembly; and a Bluetooth puck (part # B6 787 5878), the newer puck for MHI systems.

You will not need the linear compensator or the dual band antenna switch if you are going to use Bluetooth only. If you are going to use a Bluetooth combo cradle for a specific phone (Motorola KRZR, RAZR, or SLVR) or a plug-in phone (Motorola V600 or V710, certain Nokias) then you would need the compensator and antenna switch in order to connect the phone to your car's external antenna. But for Bluetooth-only installations, they are not necessary. Neither is a cradle; they are for plug-in phones, or the phones for use with with combo cradles (the AWS site shows the cradle options; see http://www.wireless4mb.com/).

You also do not require a Voice control module to use the phone system; but if you want it, this is a good time to install it. You need the VC module, control stalk, and a connector cable kit (to connect the VC module to the MHI controller).

Dealerships will order and install these for you, but it is VERY expensive. It is simple to do yourself (as you'll know when you review the phone bulletin). The only thing the dealer has to do is version code your COMAND to work properly with the new equipment, after installation - about $85.

It is completely unnecessary to disconnect the Tele-Aid system. It is independent of the rest of the handsfree system. If you want it, just subscribe to it; if not, then don't subscribe. No other changes are necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Help With MotoRAZR2V9 & MHI Device

Gentlemen,

I hope someone can set me straight. Can I restore the phonebook, recent calls & caller ID downloads to the Comand system by changing the BT settings on my phone?

The equipment in play:

* 2007 S550 w/ MHI BT device
* MotoRAZR2 V9 SW:9C.13.37R.1 and a 2G memory chip

Currently the phone's BT settings are as follows:
* Handsfree Voice Gateway - Automatic
* OBEX Object Push - Automatic
* OBEX File Transfer - Automatic
* Dialup Networking Gateway - Automatic
* Audio Source - Automatic
* Audio Video Remote Control Target - Automatic

The phone used to load the recent calls and phonebook into the COMAND System, however this has been absent lately.

Are the current settings correct for interfacing with my car's COMAND System?

Should I delete the phone and re-install it?

Any advice or information appreciated.

Thank you

Simeon

·
Registered
118 Posts
Skylaw......
Yesterday, I had the V60 Bluetooth Replacer/Adapter installed Part No. 67875855 in my 03 E320. I had it done at a MB dealer. The CP211 did have to be version coded. The phone I had paired is a Nokia 6102i. Everything works as though the complete integrated phone system was installed, steering wheel controls, phone book, dashboard keypad, etc. I am very pleased and thankyou for your information of a previous posting.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Skylaw,
Have you able to figure out how to get the power for the smooth talker charger from the power of the V60 cradle so the phone can be hide inside the center console and be charged and using the car's antenna ? This will be a very useful feature for trips outside the city to assured best reception in any wireless transmission.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
No, I haven't. My approach would be to tap the cigarette lighter power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
great info looks like for me i just need the BT puck for my 03 E55 with Command and the OEM v60 factory installed system.

Justin

·
Registered
2 Posts
The following compatibility issues apply to all current MB Bluetooth units, regardless of whether they are V60 pucks, MHI pucks, or MHI cradle/Bluetooth combo units.

According to American Wireless Solutions, the cell phone sales unit that Mercedes has partnered with for wireless communication in its vehicles, compatibility issues are twofold: 1) equipment compatibility, and 2) firmware compatibility. AWS tests both phones and firmware for compatibility with the Peiker-manufactured MB Bluetooth equipment. They test phones in addition to those that they sell, and firmware other than that used in phones that they sell. However, firmware is provided by individual cell providers; AWS has no control over it, and does not write the firmware. The AWS website has a compatibility matrix for vehicles and Bluetooth equipment on its site; and the phones it sells are compatible (“approved”). AWS uses a 90-day test period for phones and firmware. Before you purchase a phone from a source other than AWS, you should check with them when you buy your Bluetooth equipment to see if the phone and firmware you are buying is compatible. In some cases, AWS will not ship the equipment unless you verify that you have a compatible phone and firmware.

The compatibility issues manifest themselves in freeze-ups of COMAND, failure to properly download phone books, dropped calls or disconnects from the Bluetooth unit, and poor voice quality. For more on these issues, see:
1) Bluetooth Voice Quality - assessment of RAZR V3 cradle combo - MBWorld.org Forums for a discussion of compatibility and connectivity issues; it deals with the RAZR V3, but is applicable to most phones.
2) Partial Solution to Partial BT Phone Book Downloads - MBWorld.org Forums for a discussion on some phone book download problems not caused by firmware conflicts, that may appear as conflicts.

AWS advises me that some folks are able to get phone book downloads, etc. with unapproved firmware, but eventually they run into problems with system freezes, inability to download features they could in the past, and they may experience poor voice quality. I have no personal experience with this. Some folks have no problem with some unapproved firmware, AWS says, because their phones have firmware that is compatible in fact, but that has not been tested (after it is tested, and works, it is "approved"). The test is a 3-month trial process.

Some recurrent compatibility problems: Sprint firmware; TREO PDAs.

A new Bluetooth puck has just been advertised in Europe for the UHI system. I believe the puck implements the Bluetooth 2.0 protocol, which will improve compatibility and will hopefully allow easier use of a wider variety of phones. I also anticipate that a newer puck for MHI will be developed, probably following the European version much as the MHI pucks followed the UHI. I do not know what the precise capabilities of the new puck are (or will be) at this time. NOTE - Update, June 26 2007: Some folks are reporting success using the Treo 680 with the new Bluetooth puck - part number part # B 6 787 5878. No information yet on other Treo models, or on service providers or firmware versions that are successful. Carpersn reports success with the Treo 680, Firmware is MW01.50 and Cingular (ATT) software version is 1.04-ROW.

Phone and Firmware Compatibility: AWS lists MB approved phone and firmware combinations (the information for which I always advise "Call AWS;" see http://www.wireless4mb.com/MB.pdf. In addition, AWS now lists the iPhone as approved.

STILL ANOTHER SOLUTION

If a Bluetooth installation will not meet your needs, but the phone you wish to carry is Bluetooth only, consider a two-line solution. Use a plug-in phone in your car; sign up for a family plan, and get a second number, and assign that number to the phone you carry. Give out only one number, and set that number for no-answer call forwarding (if your carrier offers this feature). Regardless of which phone you elect to carry, you will always receive calls in your car on a phone that is fully integrated with it, and through which all of the design features of the car’s system are available (including display on COMAND or other audio system, better signal strength, full phone book download, and the like). And, you can carry whatever phone you like. This is especially affordable if you are already on a family plan.
is it posible touse the nokia e71 with the MHI system when thebluetooth adptor is the B6 787 5839

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read all over the forms and cant find out if the iPhone works with the Puck and Tail (b67875855) It sounds like you guys might know. Also is there any where else I can get the part my mb dealer wants $450 plus install. I can install it my self but $450 sounds like a lot. I just picked up a 2004 E 320 4matic and I love it!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Brodyj123,

Welcome to the forum.

The Puck with Tail Bluetooth functions are the same as the V60 puck - which contributors have reported is successful with the iPhone.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
is it posible touse the nokia e71 with the MHI system when thebluetooth adptor is the B6 787 5839
I cannot answer this question, but it is very possible that contributor Diesel Benz already has. You might perform an advanced search using the terms "MHI," "UHI," and "Nokia" in conjunction with Diesel Benz' name.

Noting that you are in Israel, do you have a U.S. specification car (which has an MHI system) or do you have a European specification car (with a UHI system)? Many Nokia phones (I am far from familiar with most of them) transfer the data from their SIM cards onto equipment in the European handsfree system, while U.S. handsfree systems do not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, really, really sorry about this but I just need to be sure I got this right especially since I saw there's a bulletin out for the R-Class specifically around phone systems.

I have an 06 R-350. The dealer said it was prewired, haven't opened it up but I have a plate by to the tele-aid buttons but in the middle and I can see a cable going into the area under the false floor so I'm pretty sure it's there.

Don't need the tele-aid so all I need is an MHI BT puck that I need to wire in and I'm ready to go? My wife's phone is on the compatibility list so that shouldn't be an issue but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.(I've read posts 1, 3 & 5 many times)

Again sorry for asking for something that has probably been answered 100 times but I think there's just too much info in this thread for my brain to process as excellent as it is.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
If you have the MHI contact plate in the two pictures below, I believe you have the Handsfree option installed, not just prewiring. If that is the case, all you need is the Bluetooth puck, which slides onto the contact plate. The arrow in the first picture indicates the contact plate (which may also be under a raised plastic cover). The second photo shows the contact plate unobscured.

The photos are from an S500 (with the upper floor of the center console removed); your contact plate location may look different, but the contact plate itself will be the same.

If you have the contact plate, your car is much more than "prewired." "Prewired" means you have only the wiring harnesses, without the MHI Controller and some other components. Having the "Handsfree" option means you have all of the necessary electronics installed except for your choice of 1) a cradle for a plug-in phone, 2) a Bluetooth puck, or 3) a Bluetooth combo cradle for a limited number of phones. The combo cradle allows charging of the phone and also connects the phone to the car's external antenna when the phone is docked; or, it allows use undocked, through its Bluetooth capability.

Your car already has Tele-Aid; no additional equipment is necessary. Your option is to subscribe to the service, or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks again Skylaw!

I'll take it apart as soon as I have some time and keep my fingers crossed that the plate is there otherwise I'll figure out what else I need.

241 - 260 of 779 Posts
About this Discussion
778 Replies
270 Participants
Skylaw
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing